Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Put up a few things in mylar zip bags today. First time I've used the zip locks.

Be sure to get the "dust" from things like oatmeal from where you make your seal. Same with standard mylar.

Attachments

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
3,742 Posts
Congrats I just did my first mylar job in Feb, I had some dehydrated potatoes that poked holes in my mylar(sharp edges), learned to leave more air in the bags so they dont over compress. Check out the LTS time for brown sugar and powdered cheese I dont know if you get the 20+ year storage on those. May want to permanent marker some data on the mylar as well labels can fade/run if get damp/or just come off. All in all looks great, I hope to do some more LTS in a couple of weeks.

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Don't think brown sugar, or coffee creamer will last 20. Not sure about the cheese. We'll see, lol. Glad you learned to leave some air in the bags. I've learned that over time. MikeK can tell you about my spaghetti......

Leaving a bit of air in the bag won't hurt. It's why I and others here suggest leaving a bit of head space in the bag. The o2's will still do their job and remove the oxygen. Only nitrogen remains.

I store my supplies in a cool dry space, in buckets, and Rubber Made type totes. Not too worried about moisture. But hey....one never knows!

·
veritas aequitas
2,253 Posts
Don't think brown sugar, or coffee creamer will last 20. Not sure about the cheese. We'll see, lol. Glad you learned to leave some air in the bags. I've learned that over time. MikeK can tell you about my spaghetti......:eek::

Leaving a bit of air in the bag won't hurt. It's why I and others here suggest leaving a bit of head space in the bag. The o2's will still do their job and remove the oxygen. Only nitrogen remains.

I store my supplies in a cool dry space, in buckets, and Rubber Made type totes. Not too worried about moisture. But hey....one never knows!
Good job, Tx! So what's the dealio with permanent marker/sharpie on the bags? Is it bad for the contents somehow or does it fade quickly?

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
Adhesive or Inks

Good job, Tx! So what's the dealio with permanent marker/sharpie on the bags? Is it bad for the contents somehow or does it fade quickly?

You need to mark the individual bags somehow ..... having adhesive or inks included in your food bucket is not advised .... I'm afraid labels might dry up over the years and fall off ..... I use a magic marker and make a small contents note .....

·
Time to reap has come
3,885 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for sharing. Why is it recommended not to use sharpie? I use both permanent marker and a separate label. I still worry those wont last. :xeye:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,467 Posts
ACK! I'm sorry! Another forum I belong to marks the males with a red icon next to their username, and a green icon for the females (Always thought there might be some significance to this :D: red attracts bulls, green means everything is ok) but I digress lol

Here, the same colors are used, but it means the user is offline (red) or online (green)

My subconscious picked up the green next to your name at the time of my post. Sowwwwwwwy!
Don't worry, the rest of us got a kick out of it! :D:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Well you knew eventually cross dressing was going to catch up with you, LMAO. I couldn't resist. :D:

By the way, your doing it mostly right, but add bay leaves in the bottom of the bucket, and in the middle when half packed, and finally 3 more when full, it keeps bugs out. I would also put one in each bag, it won't affect the taste of the food.
Bugs can't live in an oxygen free environment. Bay leaves may help if you don't have absorbers.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Bugs can't live in an oxygen free environment. Bay leaves may help if you don't have absorbers.
That is true, but for the sake of argument, let us say you already opened the bucket and while you were cooking something crawled in, or a rat chewed through your bucket. So if there are bay leaves present the bugs won't end up there. Keep in mind we are storing this for a possible scenario, at least I am. Conditions may not stay 100 percent sanitary, this will invite all sorts of critters. It is just an extra precaution, use it or not I guess. You can eat the bay leaves too you know.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Agree, I only have bay leaves in my bags if I'm storing bay leaves :). Think that's an old precaution because all creatures must have air to live, but if it makes one feel safer then carry on :)
I think it's sort of how cedar works. They can't eat, breed or do much of anything when the smell disorients them. Cedar might make the food taste weird. I'd use the bay leaves if I had to store in an unsealed container so the bugs could leave, which they would. Now about mice... :)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Now that's something I can get down with. I'm a regional manager with an international atmospheric gas manufacturer and I gotta tell you...nitrogen is YOUR FRIEND! You know all those ice cream bars, candy bars, granola bars: anything packaged...it's all packaged with NITROGEN! This inert gas will help keep your food fresh and act as a barrier.

Good job man! I love packing food in mylar.
Does your company offer a prepper oriented nitrogen food packing setup? Small, rechargeable container, three/four foot hose, valve, long "rod" type nozzle that's about 18 inches long to reach the bottom of a five gallon bucket? Seems there'd be a ready market for something like that if it was affordable.

And if there IS something affordable out there by all means, I'd love to know what/where/how much.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
With all the conflicting tests I've seen done on bay leaves in Flour... the only sure answer I'd bet to is :?: Oh well, it wont hurt in there. Even if it don't help, you've got a bay leaf to throw in a pot of soup or spaghetti sometimes.

Win Win

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Diatomaceous earth works and you can mix it right into the food.

A lack of oxygen does a lot more than kill bugs. It also preserves food which can't oxidize. When you buy a bag of potato chips and it's kind of puffed up, something like carbon dioxide has been pumped in to expel air including oxygen and then the bag seal for freshness.

I'm afraid of the zip lock. I still seal below the zip lock which loses it when opened. To each his own.

I've seen MikeK and others talk about earth many times here. Been a while since I've seen it brought up.

First time I've used zip locks. I got good seals, so we'll see how they hold up. The next batch is back to the reg. mylar I have.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I think it's sort of how cedar works. They can't eat, breed or do much of anything when the smell disorients them. Cedar might make the food taste weird. I'd use the bay leaves if I had to store in an unsealed container so the bugs could leave, which they would. Now about mice... :)
That is easy, just put moth balls every where, they hate them. I live by a bunch of fields and I war them every winter. Thanks for reminding me, I need to re moth ball under my house. I throw it under by the hand full, they hate it. If I find one of their holes I fill it up and seal it back up. When I build my bunker they want be able to get in, so I'm not worried at that point. Should not be too many bugs ever gaining entrance either.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts