Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found an older Marlin 336 in a local pawn shop and put it on layaway. According to the serial number, the rifle was made in 1976.

I am thinking about leaving it without a scope. The receiver is drilled and tapped. This would be an up close deer rifle.

I thought about having it cerakote coated, but not sure.

There are a new little rust spots, but no big deal.

I was looking for an older lever action Marlin, one that was made before freedom group bought them. After keeping an eye on the local pawn shop for close to a year, they finally got one in.

What would you do with it?

·
Old Grouch
729 Posts
What caliber? I hope you lucked into a 35 Remington or 38-55 Win. If it was me. I would clean the rust and touch up the bluing. I would only cerakote if the finish was trashed or if the rifle was subject to saltwater or long periods of wet condition without care.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Love my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington but it suffers from the Marlin jam since the day I bought it new in 1984 good luck with yours

·
Registered
105 Posts
If it were me, the only thing I would do with it , is shoot the **** out of it. It's a working gun, and a patina on a working gun is what gives it character. I guessing it's a 30-30, I don't remember running across many .35 Remington when I lived in Texas. You know it will make a great deer gun, unscoped, for East Texas Big Thicket area.

·
Forum Administrator
16,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What caliber? I hope you lucked into a 35 Remington or 38-55 Win. If it was me. I would clean the rust and touch up the bluing. I would only cerakote if the finish was trashed or if the rifle was subject to saltwater or long periods of wet condition without care.
It is 30-30

·
Gettin By
1,405 Posts
Great gun. I had a Model 1894 in .357mag for years and it was a great gun. I made the mistake of letting my Nephew shoot it a few times when he was visiting and he fell in love with it. So when he graduated High School (3.92GPA) I gave it to him as a graduation gift. I miss it sometimes, but it's being loved and cared for.

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
I have a 336 30/30 from the 1970's and have done exactly what you've done.

Its my Pennsylvania deer rifle. Put a strap on it and added a Williams peep sight.

Nice rifles.

·
Wind
1,222 Posts
I refinished my old 336 last summer this time. I took it apart an cleaned the steel so not to have any rust or grime an I spray painted it. I then sanded any rough spots on the wood an painted it with the textured paint. It was a beater when my dad bought it in the late 80s for me an was a truck gun. I like the way it finished out.

The Marlin 336 is a fine firearm. I couldn't believe how acurate that rifle was. It will stackem in at a 100yds with irons off hand. My other marlins shoot good also but it is most accurate. I guess ya just lucky some times with one like that.

·
Wind
1,222 Posts
Hey Kev

What kind of ammo are you going to shoot out of it?

If you hand load try the hornady lever evolution. Loads good an shoot good to. I shoot irons with 30-30 but guys I know shootn a scope brag about how the groups tightened up with the lever evolution ammo.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
rub it off with brass wool, lube it with TW25B, big loop the lever , add a vernier tang sight on the receiver, folding sight in the middle, and hood the sight on the front.
+1 on the lever revolution ammo. good hunting ammo if you dont reload.
Badgerclaw Stock cuff, with badgerclaw adjustable sling.
www.badgerclawleatherworks.com

·
Forum Administrator
16,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Kev

What kind of ammo are you going to shoot out of it?

If you hand load try the hornady lever evolution. Loads good an shoot good to. I shoot irons with 30-30 but guys I know shootn a scope brag about how the groups tightened up with the lever evolution ammo.
I use Remington core-lokt for all my hunting rifles.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I was looking for one as well, found a mid-80's in .30-.30 a couple years ago. $350 with case, scope, and 2.5 boxes of ammo. apparently all that was ever shot out of it as it was like new. very accurate and a great gun for the deer blind...

anyway, if the rust isn't bad, you can CAREFULLY scrape the heavier stuff away with a sharp razor blade, lightly polish with #0000 steel or brass wool, and just use cold blue to touch it up. I had a couple guns that were in good finish other wise except for some spots here and there from long term storage (one a Remington wingmaster, the other was an old bolt action) and the above procedure worked exceedingly well. blends in and leaves the original finish intact.

I would only re-coat a gun like that if it was in extremely poor shape.

good luck, I am sure you will enjoy the gun, they really are great little rifles!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Got one, a 336c 3030, back in 82. Only things I did was to put sling swivels, see thru scope mounts and a Bushnell scope on it. Shoots good.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would oil it up and shoot it.
Load up about 500 rounds and use the tar out of it.
Great hunting rifle. Use skills, get close.
re

·
Registered
151 Posts
The first centerfire rifle that I ever bought was a Marlin 336 in .30-30. I bought it new in December 1978 when I was 15. Walmart had a Christmas sale on .30-30's that year. You could buy a Marlin or a Winchester, your choice, for $99. I've killed a lot of deer with that .30-30. I still have it and still hunt with it.

It's one of seven Marlin lever actions that I own. I also have a 39A and five 1894's. One of the 1894's was made in 1895 and it's in .32-20. It's a very cool rifle with a 24" Octagonal barrel. Three are in .357 Magnum and the other is a .44 Magnum.

Me, my wife, and my youngest daughter shoot the .357's as main match rifles in Cowboy Action. The .44 is my main match rifle for Wild Bunch Action Shooting.

I like Marlins. I hope you enjoy yours.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts