Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently inherited a Cold Steele push knife. It's a cool looking knife, but the more I mess with it, the more I am thinking that the whole push knife design is just a gimmick. I mean yeah, I can put some serious power into a thrust with it, but in terms of being a useful blade (for anything other than stabbing) it seems very limited.

Is there anyone out there that actually uses a push knife as a utility knife? That is, to handle everyday tasks, or maybe to handle tasks while out in the backcountry? What advantages might a push knife have over a traditional knife, if any?

·
Banned
426 Posts
I just recently inherited a Cold Steele push knife. It's a cool looking knife, but the more I mess with it, the more I am thinking that the whole push knife design is just a gimmick. I mean yeah, I can put some serious power into a thrust with it, but in terms of being a useful blade (for anything other than stabbing) it seems very limited.

Is there anyone out there that actually uses a push knife as a utility knife? That is, to handle everyday tasks, or maybe to handle tasks while out in the backcountry? What advantages might a push knife have over a traditional knife, if any?

While any knife can be used as a utility if you really WANT it to be, the push knife was never meant to be that. It was a piercer, a stabber. Legend has it it was made by frontiersman for self defense, and used by the likes of Doc Holiday as a close quarters weapon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
From what I know, it was generally worn on your boot, for a quick self defense weapon if you were sitting down and were not allowed to have your firearm on you in the building. Im interested in buying one myself, I just want something other than cold steel.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
From what I know, it was generally worn on your boot, for a quick self defense weapon if you were sitting down and were not allowed to have your firearm on you in the building. Im interested in buying one myself, I just want something other than cold steel.
Check out AG Russell then...

Strictly an American innovation favoured by the riverboat gamblers around the Civil War period...

Featured a part in the movie Platoon on Sgt. Barnes' (Tom Berenger) shoulder straps...

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
Everything I have learned about knife fighting ( I guess a decent ammount) says that the push knife is in no way as effective as a typical strait blade knife. IMO a knife should first be a utility tool, I can push a utility knife in to combat system with very little effort though to use one of the ninja death knives whatever form they take as a utility knife is difficult.

If it ever dose come down to knife fighting you have already made way to many mistakes to count.

:thumb:good luck

·
Banned
426 Posts
Everything I have learned about knife fighting ( I guess a decent ammount) says that the push knife is in no way as effective as a typical strait blade knife. IMO a knife should first be a utility tool, I can push a utility knife in to combat system with very little effort though to use one of the ninja death knives whatever form they take as a utility knife is difficult.

If it ever dose come down to knife fighting you have already made way to many mistakes to count.

This.
The number of times you will actually use your knife in a self defense situation in your life, regardless of what all the magazines and shows say, can usually be counted on one hand.... and many times you don't even need to use your fingers to count them. Most people NEVER need a knife their whole life for self defense.
However, I use a knife many times a day for a variety of cutting chores. Push knives, while held comfortably in the hand for their intended task, fall short for utility. Like I said, you could DEFINITELY use one in a utilitarian way if you really had to, but it wouldn't be the most comfortable tool to hold.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

My thoughts exactly! That's why I said I think it's more of a gimmick than anything else.

·
Registered
133 Posts

I live in NYC, and would love to carry a push knife, unfortunately we can't even carry a knife here with a thumbstud because cops will call it a gravity knife, if lets say a group of thugs were to attack you and you used a push knife to defend yourself and actually killed one of them. you would go to jail

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.