Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
kiddy bath tub, or something like a 128 quart ice chest, and about a pound of salt.

Flush the water every 30 - 45 minutes.

If their not purged long enough, I can taste the dirt in them

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
took a bunch of people on a hike in MISSISSIPPI years ago and none of them ever ate any thing from the wild so they thought , so lunch consisted of crawdads dug up and then put in boiling water , had no seasoning just water and every one got there fill and no complaints ! if your out and it need to be eaten to survive then not purging is not going to kill you !

·
Banned
2,839 Posts
Very litely salted water submerge the bugs for 15 mins and let them all get that crap out of their system drain add fresh water let them sit for 15 mins then drain, boil them suckers up. I do my crabs the same way.

·
Banned
2,839 Posts
FYI I have been out on a trawler before and and ran short of food so I took my lighter and roasted some fresh shrimp right on the boat. BLand but edible. Ive also eatten fresh Sashimi from the by catch (raw flounder they dont have the white worms the trout drum have).

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,429 Posts
took a bunch of people on a hike in MISSISSIPPI years ago and none of them ever ate any thing from the wild so they thought , so lunch consisted of crawdads dug up and then put in boiling water , had no seasoning just water and every one got there fill and no complaints ! if your out and it need to be eaten to survive then not purging is not going to kill you !
I used to eat them at the lake all the time. They weren't purged. But they sure taste better if you do purge them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If your trying to kill them before you cook them, then go ahed with the salt water purge.
FRESH WATER flush only...
If you don't like the crud....peel it out as you eat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts