Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father is looking to purchase a new firearm. At the moment we have a remington 870 in 12 gauge and a wasr 10. The question being, should he be looking at a pistol to even things out so he has one of each or would it be better to get maybe a .22 for small varmit hunting, or even better yet something along the lines of a 22-250 hunting rifle. He has asked me to gather info and present it to him. The general uses will be plinking and if needed self defence. Thanks to all opinions.

·
Registered
174 Posts
*someone* is a 22-250 for plinking ($$$) or self defense (anyone say over penetration?)?!?!

a .22 is the definitive plinker. a shotgun is the definitive "house gun." a pistol makes a grand self defense weapon when/where a scattergun is considered poor form.

if he doesn't have a .22, he has an obvious hole in his collection.

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it might not be exactly a 22-250 but more like a .223, now i know there is an obvious difference but the 22-250 just came to mind. the over penetration is a valid point.but i doubt he would choose that over his shotgun. If a rifle of greater caliber than .22 was chosen it would primarily be used for hunting(varmints and so on depending on caliber)

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
Sounds like we are in need of a good old revolver in .38/.357. I personally would recommend a Ruger GP-100. Cheap as these guns go and built like a tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts