Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to posting but have lurked forever! Have never seen anyone mention pur water packets. there small packets of powder and one packet purifies 2.5 gallons of water. There realy cool look them up on youtube. they take a bucket of SUPER DIRTY WATER and it cleans it!

·
Registered
989 Posts

Seems interesting. If I wasn't so distrustful of corporate giants (proctor and gamble in this case), then I would say this is great. I liked how he avoided how much it costs.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
I've been preaching the virtues of the PUR packets for awhile now. We keep a few dozen on hand and always have a pack or two with us in the woods.

They work, we've tried them with some pretty polluted water. Now, I will admit this. Once we used them, we drank some of the water and it had that taste to it but we ran the water through our micromini and the PUR was well worth what it coagulated taking out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nope not selling them! I don't know how to post a link yet, but i will figure it out. It just seems that notmany people know about these. I have have added them to my water preps. I live about a half mile away from the mississppi river. this would be great in a tornato aftermath.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,527 Posts
I assume that's just a combination of a sterilizing agent, probably iodine, and a flucculant to settle particles. You could get the same effect with any of the iodine water treatments and some alum. There are a bunch of things that will act as flocculants though, so a google search might turn up even better ones than alum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EASY

I'M still learning only been a preper about a year. Looking for somthing more for a quick fix early on, then get to my water stores. I also fight my husband all the time about my water storage, thesecan be hidden much better! :)

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
I assume that's just a combination of a sterilizing agent, probably iodine, and a flucculant to settle particles. You could get the same effect with any of the iodine water treatments and some alum. There are a bunch of things that will act as flocculants though, so a google search might turn up even better ones than alum.
Probably get them cheaper at a pool supply store too.

Problem being that the disinfectant shouldn't be added until after filtering. Wasting disinfectant on dirty water means much of it is used in stuff that is in the floc. And you really need to filter to get clean water. It's just not possible to get clean water without filtering.

Remember it's a process. There are multiple steps involved in water treatment with taking raw water and making it potable.
Here's a link providing the basic steps in a clear format;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_purification

Here's also a list of most items that can be used a s a coagulant to form floc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flocculation

Without the filtration step you'll still be drinking 3rd world water quality. And a piece of cloth won't cut it for getting much that's in the water.The statement make in the video about these making water clear, clean and puified is a bold faced lie.

It might make it somewhat better, and maybe disinfected, but it will not make it purified, or clean or clear, just cleaner. Best you could hope for wouldn't be much different then just getting water from a 'clear' stream and adding some disinfectant. It would never come close to what our government requires potable water to be. Without a good filter you can't get anywhere close to our current standards.

You could drink it, using their methods, but it would still be full of all sorts of stuff. No coagulant gets everything to settle out. I see plenty on the floc still making it to our sand filters after hours of settling. It does make the sand filters work better, but you can't skip this step.

·
Registered
82 Posts
There are a bunch of things that will act as flocculants though, so a google search might turn up even better ones than alum.
In homebrewing (beer, at least), gelatin is often used as a flocculant. Although to be honest, I'm not sure that gelatin binds on to anything that is particularly dangerous. Makes the beer real clear and purty, though. :thumb::D:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I have great reservations about this product. I think that the water projects that water.org helps to facilitate are a much better way to help developing countries. I just read about them in a recent issue of "Fast Company"

Matt Damon is co-founder of water.org. They help facilitate loans to communities to develop clean water systems and improved sanitation. If the communities have a personal investment, it's way more effective. Poor people all over the world spend inordinate amounts of their income on bottled water, or spend time hauling water. It makes economic sense to them and they are very good about paying their loans off. It's a great program.

In emergency situations, the pur packets seem like a life saver.

·
...all out of bubble gum
871 Posts
Seems like a viable option for larger groups/family on the move. Seems like a large pack of Chlor-floc (tablet form used by military).

·
Banned
647 Posts
Without the filtration step you'll still be drinking 3rd world water quality. And a piece of cloth won't cut it for getting much that's in the water.The statement make in the video about these making water clear, clean and puified is a bold faced lie.

Bold face lie? Not according to the World Health Organization, it was also made by Proctor and Gamble a rock solid corporation trusted globally, on top of that they were supported by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention aka the CDC. But I guess Wiki wonder pages know all about this product. The OP wanted to show everyone a product they believe in, not hear about the process of water purification or filtration for that is not the topic, the topic is a product, and this product I never heard of before but my amazon order is complete. Read on and learn. http://www.csdw.org/csdw/pur_packet.shtml:thumb:

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
In homebrewing (beer, at least), gelatin is often used as a flocculant. Although to be honest, I'm not sure that gelatin binds on to anything that is particularly dangerous. Makes the beer real clear and purty, though. :thumb::D:
It'll work. Same as other things used in wine making, like isinglass and chitostan. Most of the things in water to make it turbid (muddy) aren't dangerous. Much of what we remove from the river isn't much more then clays, iron, magnesium and other heavy metals. But being suspended solids they can take a while to settle out on their own. (they also make the water taste funny and gritty.) Coagulants just make it happen quicker.

Here's a list of the things used frequently as a coagulant;
alum
aluminium chlorohydrate
aluminium sulfate
calcium oxide
calcium hydroxide
iron(II) sulfate
iron(III) chloride
polyacrylamide
polyDADMAC
sodium aluminate
sodium silicate

The following natural products are used as flocculants:[7]

Chitosan
Isinglass
Moringa oleifera seeds (Horseradish Tree)
Gelatin
Strychnos potatorum seeds (Nirmali nut tree)
Guar gum
Alginates (brown seaweed extracts)

They all act the same way.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flocculation

Particles finer than 0.1 µm (10-7m) in water remain continuously in motion due to electrostatic charge (often negative) which causes them to repel each other. Once their electrostatic charge is neutralized by the use of coagulant chemical, the finer particles start to collide and agglomerate (combine together) under the influence of Van der Waals's forces. These larger and heavier particles are called flocs.

Flocculants, or flocculating agents (also known as flocking agents), are chemicals that promote flocculation by causing colloids and other suspended particles in liquids to aggregate, forming a floc. Flocculants are used in water treatment processes to improve the sedimentation or filterability of small particles. For example, a flocculant may be used in swimming pool or drinking water filtration to aid removal of microscopic particles which would otherwise cause the water to be turbid (cloudy) and which would be difficult or impossible to remove by filtration alone.

Many flocculants are multivalent cations such as aluminium, iron, calcium or magnesium.[6] These positively charged molecules interact with negatively charged particles and molecules to reduce the barriers to aggregation. In addition, many of these chemicals, under appropriate pH and other conditions such as temperature and salinity, react with water to form insoluble hydroxides which, upon precipitating, link together to form long chains or meshes, physically trapping small particles into the larger floc.

At work we currently use ferric chloride. Use to use alum, but it didn't work as well at lower water temperatures, like during the winter months.

Reactions: CodaSmog

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Bold face lie? Not according to the World Health Organization, it was also made by Proctor and Gamble a rock solid corporation trusted globally, on top of that they were supported by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention aka the CDC. But I guess Wiki wonder pages know all about this product. The OP wanted to show everyone a product they believe in, not hear about the process of water purification or filtration for that is not the topic, the topic is a product, and this product I never heard of before but my amazon order is complete. Read on and learn. http://www.csdw.org/csdw/pur_packet.shtml:thumb:
whoa, you sound a little over the top hostile. Are you personally offended for some reason by the comment from the poster?

If this product is being promoted for a survival situation, then filtering and water purification is right on topic. There are better alternatives for those who are looking at long term survival. Do you really want to drink chemicals every day when you can remove impurities? The pur packets don't remove the contaminants, it just kills them. Some of us prefer a better alternative. I'll bet that you'd save lots by just getting a good filter. The packets sell for over $20 on amazon for 6 packets. That's over $20 to treat 15 gallons.

Do you really think this is a good deal? It's gonna cost you over a buck a gallon!

·
Banned
468 Posts
I had never heard of this item. I have done some checking and watched the videos am willing to give it a try for my BOL. I never purify water that I have not at least run though my tee shirt (or other filter material to catch large mater) as I poor it into the container that I plan to purify it in. Since this is a new product to me I will check the waters purity before I drink it.;)

·
Banned
647 Posts
whoa, you sound a little over the top hostile. Are you personally offended for some reason by the comment from the poster?

If this product is being promoted for a survival situation, then filtering and water purification is right on topic. There are better alternatives for those who are looking at long term survival. Do you really want to drink chemicals every day when you can remove impurities? The pur packets don't remove the contaminants, it just kills them. Some of us prefer a better alternative. I'll bet that you'd save lots by just getting a good filter. The packets sell for over $20 on amazon for 6 packets. That's over $20 to treat 15 gallons.

Do you really think this is a good deal? It's gonna cost you over a buck a gallon!
This item is clearly not intended for a long term survival water treatment tool, this was never mentioned as it was designed or intended as such.

It might cost more for a gallon using this product but there are variables to this products value that would stave off the cost. Elderly for one, power is out and no way to boil water, would give them water long enough before aid was rendered. An addition to a simple hikers pack or a cross country mountain bikers butt pack. A BOB inside of your vehicle, enough to get you where you need to go if stuck in traffic when something happens, far cheaper than buying a 200 dollar katadyn for each of your BOB's. On the run and your filter is clogged to death, this is a quick fix to stay alive. Not everyone is a hardcore survivalist or weekend packer, bushcrafter on the boards, so this product I think would be a worthwhile addition regardless of the cost per gallon. Weighs practically nothing and can be stored anywhere, even in your filtration system baggy. Never underestimate the variables out there, just because you havent been in a situation where everything has gone wrong while out in the bush, doesnt mean they arent out there. Most likely things wont happen when you want them or are in the best possible situation for something to occur, most likely youll be going to work, be at work or on the way home, or it will be at 2am sound asleep and no one bothered to call you to tell you something horrible happened and are too busy saving their own family members, and only find out after waking up and wondering why your alarm didnt go off because there is no power.....anywhere. Things happen and every little bit of an edge helps.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts