Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhere in another thread I was asked to give feedback on the off-brand canning lids I bought. I got some Pur brand lids and rings at Ace hardware. Today I made a canner load of boysenberry jam (again, lol) and I used half Pur lids and half Kerr lids.
These seem legit, at least for for waterbath canning. The lids all sealed, no issues. The rings work great, too.I used both widemouth and regular mouth lids for this batch. The sealing material under the lid actually seems slightly wider compared to the Kerr brand. In the picture, the Pur brand lid is on the top and Kerr lid on the bottom. The color of the Pur lid is a little lighter.

Happy canning!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Good to know! And your jam sounds delish!😋

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have used many, many of the Pur brand from our local Ace store and they have been fine. The regular kind that is. The one piece ones that aren't flat with a ring don't seal up as well as the regular ones do. We've had 3-4 of those that wouldn't seal.

We do pressure can everything too.
One piece lids? I haven't seen those yet. Thank you for the warning!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I forgot to update awhile back: I did pressure can some beef with the Pur lids, and all went well. I actually had 2 of the Kerr brand fail to seal (liquid siphoned out so probably not the lids' fault) but all of the Pur lids worked great

·
Jackpine Savage
7,032 Posts
I forgot to update awhile back: I did pressure can some beef with the Pur lids, and all went well. I actually had 2 of the Kerr brand fail to seal (liquid siphoned out so probably not the lids' fault) but all of the Pur lids worked great
Good to know that none of them wrinkled up which is the usual problem with off-brand lids.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts