Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a 2 person pup tent without the poles? It looks like someone could string a guideline through both ends of the end and use that guideline to support the tent rather than poles.

Reason for this?

Be able to reduce the size of the tent down as much as it can without the poles. Plus, be able to carry the tent in the main pack rather than outside the pack.

Also, if someone has a pup tent, could you please weigh it and let me know how much it weighs?

I am debating whether to bring:

• Jungle hammock
  • Eureka solitaire
  • Wenzel starlite tent

The way the Wenzel starlite tent is designed it has to use poles. I bought this tent back in the 1990s and would take it on a camping trip right now. It is probably the best $25 I ever spent on camping gear.

Eureka solitaire has to use the included poles just like the Wenzel starlite tent.

Thoughts, suggestions?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I have a tent that is used for winter camping or summer. It is set up with a ridge line and ratchet strap between two trees. and the edges are staked down. it has no brand name as it was made by a individual. i can weigh it, it's silnylon.

·
Stop YOLOing
3,224 Posts
Has anyone used a 2 person pup tent without the poles? It looks like someone could string a guideline through both ends of the end and use that guideline to support the tent rather than poles.
When the tent is set up, are the poles inside or outside the tent?

If outside on a tab with a grommet in it, it's probably pretty easy to set up without poles.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
It's been many years since I've used my pup tent, but I am pretty sure it could be set up without the poles. But only if you have a couple of trees or something to tie it off to. I recall there being a looped tab at each end of the ridgeline.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
reluctant sinner
17,001 Posts
As kid camping out in the near treeless desert military training area, we used our rifles with the pup tent. Some times we could stack up enough flat rocks to tie off the ends of the tent. Made longer sticks by lashing sections of sage brush together.

My next tent in design will use my trekking poles for the A frame front. The tapered ridge line will go to the second stake, the first one holding the A out.

Unless you plan to be above the tree line or the treeless desert, poles are optional if you modify the tent to work with tie out. Carbon fiber rods don't weigh much. Perhaps a take down rifle cleaning rod could be one side, 2 arrows with a connecting bushing so they could be screw together, a few sections of the larger pieces of a take down fishing pole.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Homemade silnylon tube tent. Like sleeping in a cocoon. I use it mainly for backpacking, so at the end of the day I could sleep on or in anything. I never saw the point of a tent that's bigger than what is needed for sleeping. That's all I do in there.

·
Banned
2,217 Posts
You could run a string through it to lower the profile. The way they are constructed with two shelter halves you would not be able to close the ends and have anything but a sagging mess. If you did what you are thinking about it would leave open exposure from the elements on both ends. If you are concerned about this use a G.I. poncho or tarp to accomplish what you are talking about and you will be able to get two snapped togehter as low as you would like to get them.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Can’t say I have. What I use is two CF issue half shelters zipped together. No poles, just 550 cord and pegs. And I usually just make my own pegs from sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Purposeful Prepper
1,580 Posts
It's been a few years, okay a few decades, okay FOUR decades since I was last in my Army issued shelter half but as i recall the poles were needed.

But there is a work around. Just stick a metal screw eye in from the top and on the bottom run the screw eye through an adequately sized washer and then screw on a nut.

Good luck with that.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Been lot of years since I used issue pup tent,but if memory serves me correctly you could poke your rope or some paracord through tent pole grommets from outside, put something for a toggle on inside of pup tent then tie off to tree ext.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Walmart used to sell a simple little nylon pup tent that was waterproof, no fly. It was the lightest tent I ever saw that was screened to keep skeeters at bay. I liked it so much I bought a spare.

I never carried the poles because of their length, even though they were jointed. I just grabbed the nearest halfway straight sticks and put them under the guy lines on the ends of the tent. A couple more sticks on the side guy lines made the walls a little more neat.

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
My backpacking tent is a pyramid. One pole, or hang it off a branch. No floor, you can pitch it with a bush inside to hang socks on.

Weighs about 3.5 pounds, taller than a pup tent, room for two plus gear. 7.25 feet on a side

Looks like the Black Diamond Mega Light, but mine is a cheaper clone. You can pin the edges down, or let them float up off the ground for ventilation.

Looks like this.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
To be really low profile, we would take an issue poncho and some 550 cord. Stretch the poncho out and tie it off to trees, but only maybe about 3 ft. off the ground. You want it stretched out tight of course, to prevent rainwater from pooling. Take a second poncho and spread it out on the ground underneath, for a ground tarp.

Two people can easily sleep under this shelter and it's about as light-weight as you could get, using Army-issue equipment.

After Basic training, I can only think of maybe a couple of times where we actually used the Army-issued shelter halves and built tents from them. If you used them at all, it was to build something more like a lean-to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sometimes I prefer to take GEERTOP backpacking tent for 2 person. But it depends on situation and weather conditions we're gonna face. I've found that tent on this resource where they have plenty of other models to choose from. I prefer GEERTOP cause it makes everything to avoid dissolving snow conquer your tent, and it's skirt makes it really simple to move your tent out of an enormous snow heap if needed.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,238 Posts
You could use some branches cut to size if you got to your camp spot and found the ridge line was not enough to support the weight of the canvas. If you use trekking poles those could be used as well. Not sure a basic ridge line would be very easy. Canvas is heavy and morning dew would add even more weight so sagging might be an issue.

This is assuming your talking about the old military surplus 2 shelter halves style pup tent...

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,200 Posts
It's been a few years, okay a few decades, okay FOUR decades since I was last in my Army issued shelter half but as i recall the poles were needed.

But there is a work around. Just stick a metal screw eye in from the top and on the bottom run the screw eye through an adequately sized washer and then screw on a nut.

Good luck with that.

We just parked the radio truck and the mux truck about 15 feet apart and set up four pup tents between them tying the guy ropes to the truck, leaving the poles in the duffel bag.

Kev, another option is to leave the poles home and cut substitutes in the field.

·
Only politics *****.
5,505 Posts
You could use some branches cut to size if you got to your camp spot and found the ridge line was not enough to support the weight of the canvas. If you use trekking poles those could be used as well. Not sure a basic ridge line would be very easy. Canvas is heavy and morning dew would add even more weight so sagging might be an issue.

This is assuming your talking about the old military surplus 2 shelter halves style pup tent...
This, though using it with a normal lightweight tarp would be best. I use the DD ultralight tarp with trekking poles, and can make a shelter as protective as needed with that. (within reason of course).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts