Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
CrackerJack Kid
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot the Mossberg 500 pump action shotgun (It was too slow for me and it jammed up :mad:) and I would like to know some of the pros and cons of pump action shotguns "vs" semi-automatic ones.

Which do you prefer and why?

·
Unrepentant Sinner
371 Posts
Slide actions are great if you learn not to "short stroke" them. They are generally more reliable than semi-autos.

·
Super Moderator
12,294 Posts
I prefer a semi-auto shotgun for a number of reasons.

First, I have a problem with my left arm that makes it difficult for me to work a pump very effectively. I believe, even if that wasn't the case, the following reasons would still convince me to go semi-auto.

Only slightly less reliable than pumps when considering top manufacturers, not a major fault

Only slightly less versatile than pumps in the types of rounds that can be used (they can be used single load if needed, but still a slight disadvantage)

Much easier to use one handed

Much easier to use off-handed

Less training time to maintain ability

Slightly less recoil than pumps for a given round (in some, anyway, not all)

Slightly faster recovery for most people

Slightly faster follow up shots for most people (there are some pump guns in the right hands that will outshoot most semi-autos. My uncle had a Remington 870 and could get off five shots in the time my father could get off three in a Remington 878 semi-auto.

Just my opinion. I own a Remington 11-87 set up for defensive use.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
I'd go with a pump. I've used Mossy, Rem 870, Ithaca and Winchester pumps on the job for nearly 30 years and in instructing at the academy. Can't go wrong with them. My son has two Mossy's, no problems.
Much more reliable, and less fussy about what you feed it, and easier to clean and less fussy about being cleaned often.
Semi-autos, some of them, do have slightly less felt recoil, but a quality recoil pad, like a Sims Limbsaver, will do much better.
If you had that much trouble with your Mossy jamming, take it to a good gunsmith to see if there is anything mechanically wrong with it. If not, that leaves only one cause, operator error, you. Get a qualified instructor to help you identify the problem and fix it. Often short-stroking is the result of some other problem, like stock too long or whatever.

·
CrackerJack Kid
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you had that much trouble with your Mossy jamming, take it to a good gunsmith to see if there is anything mechanically wrong with it. If not, that leaves only one cause, operator error, you. Get a qualified instructor to help you identify the problem and fix it. Often short-stroking is the result of some other problem, like stock too long or whatever.
Yeah, I was trying to empty out 5 shells very quickly (shooting clay targets) and when I pumped it the 4th time it got all sticky on me and then it jammed, causing me to miss the 5th clay target! :mad:

Now, is there a way to make the action on the pump easier? So that when I **** the pump back I can do it more efficiently? Kind of like the way people modify the trigger?

·
CrackerJack Kid
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only slightly less versatile than pumps in the types of rounds that can be used (they can be used single load if needed, but still a slight disadvantage)

Slightly faster follow up shots for most people (there are some pump guns in the right hands that will outshoot most semi-autos. My uncle had a Remington 870 and could get off five shots in the time my father could get off three in a Remington 878 semi-auto.

Just my opinion. I own a Remington 11-87 set up for defensive use.
Did your uncle modify his 870 in any way?

Is the reload time on a semi-auto faster than a pump?

Thank You for your valuable info!

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
After being a die hard pump action SG fan for several decades, I decided to go with a semiauto, once my particular SG proved itself reliable.

The semiauto SG works out better for me and my clan and our tactics/strategies on how we will be using it, but thats a whole other topic.

As JD mentioned already..........

Less training involved to maintain skills, using it one handed/offhanded is easier for me and mine, which led to faster recovery time between shots.

A semi auto is also a lot easier to use effectively from the prone position over the pump action IMO, which is important to us, but may not be a factor for others that use their shotguns primarily for clay shooting.

A pic of my Bennelli

( This one is a tube loader, so it's not any faster to load than a pump action tube fed design.)

With that being said, most of our training time is spent with rifles, and handguns. Not much time left over for shotguns here.
If you can give a more specific exclamation of what happened to your shotgun, then others here can better assist you with a diagnosis if your interested in finding out what caused your issue. For all I know now, your problem might be ammo related, and the SG itself might be GTG.
This would be very important to me if I was utilizing this particular SG as a defensive tool.

just my .02......... Good luck

11B

·
Super Moderator
12,294 Posts
Both the 870 and 878 were well broken in stock. My uncle was just tremendously fast on a pump. Any pump. And the 878 wasn't a speed demon semi-auto the way some of the Benelli's are.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A pump has less moving parts that are small. Less moving parts means less chance of breaking down. In a SHTF scenario these parts and possibly not having time to clean could mean the world. When I go hunting I have my 870 super mag and my pops a over under citori. He has even less moving parts, his reload time is less. A over under will always get two shots off faster than a pump or semi auto.

It sounds like your problem is user air, the ammo being used, or the gun needs to be broken in.

·
Registered
207 Posts
After being a die hard pump action SG fan for several decades, I decided to go with a semiauto, once my particular SG proved itself reliable.

The semiauto SG works out better for me and my clan and our tactics/strategies on how we will be using it, but thats a whole other topic.

As JD mentioned already..........

Less training involved to maintain skills, using it one handed/offhanded is easier for me and mine, which led to faster recovery time between shots.

A semi auto is also a lot easier to use effectively from the prone position over the pump action IMO, which is important to us, but may not be a factor for others that use their shotguns primarily for clay shooting.

A pic of my Bennelli

( This one is a tube loader, so it's not any faster to load than a pump action tube fed design.)

With that being said, most of our training time is spent with rifles, and handguns. Not much time left over for shotguns here.
If you can give a more specific exclamation of what happened to your shotgun, then others here can better assist you with a diagnosis if your interested in finding out what caused your issue. For all I know now, your problem might be ammo related, and the SG itself might be GTG.
This would be very important to me if I was utilizing this particular SG as a defensive tool.

just my .02......... Good luck

11B
looks just like my 121.... shes a GOOd shotgun. people say "too many moving parts"........as long as mine keeps humming i dont mind!!! either way i plan to outlive my benelli...........

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had a new just out of the box Mossberg 500 and my first time with it was able to load and fire a box of 25 target loads very quickly. I was very impressed with it have the gun checked out That sounds strange for a Mossberg.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
Remember that a semi-auto has piston/barrel seals, which eventually fail.

Something to consider in long-term survivalist considerations if you don' keep spares.

Of course, if one failed at JUST the wrong moment, well...gulp.

- OS

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Oh Shoot,
That's why opted for pump action shotguns, thinking of the longevity as I don't shoot, they're just there as Mossberg would say *LOL* Just In Case.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Some semi-autos can be picky about ammo.
They also like to be cleaned more often. Get one really nasty and/or hot and some will have issues cycling.
Pumps are pretty tough, I've never seen one picky about ammo, and I've seen pump shotguns that haven't been cleaned in years still shooting.
If this is a hunting gun, get what you like. If it is a SHTF gun, I would opt for the pump, just because they would be more reliable long term and require less maintenance.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I went to another 3-Gun shoot, zombie themed. One of the stages involved picking up a shotgun. The SO loaded the shotgun with either good shells or empties to simulate good/bad ammo. The guys with pumps had no problems, as pulling the trigger made it go bang or click, pump, bang or click, etc. The guys with the semis would get an empty, and have to do some gyrations to get the dud out. Some actions were rather comical.

Jim

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Reloads... pumps like them... Semi's not so much...

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I am not intending on hijacking this thread with this, just doesn't seem like it's worthy of starting a whole new thread maybe.
Mossberg 500 Persuader, what spare parts should I order? I mean which parts are more likely to fail I guess I'm asking as I wouldn't mind having a few extra of these parts around.
Thanks.

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
I am not intending on hijacking this thread with this, just doesn't seem like it's worthy of starting a whole new thread maybe.
Mossberg 500 Persuader, what spare parts should I order? I mean which parts are more likely to fail I guess I'm asking as I wouldn't mind having a few extra of these parts around.
Thanks.
THAT my friend is indeed new thread worthy.
Fire one up! I will be interested to see the replies, and they wont get lost in the old Pump vs semi hash.
new thread i think!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts