Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get to town everyday or even every week so maybe my perspective is flawed.
Yesterday I had to go into the city for some parts and equipment for work. I went into an office supply store to pick up a printing order and a new cord for the computer. There was an ordinary looking middle aged woman at the front having a complete melt down over the lack of service. Granted the service was awful but she was screaming at the top of her lungs and telling the clerk that he was a worthless excuse for a human being.
My next stop was a parts store to pick up some refrigerant there was a person holding up the line speaking Spanish and insisting that every part he purchased be examined by the parts counter guy before he would pay for the item. One average looking middle aged guy in the line threw his stuff on the floor and started screaming about the lack of service and why don’t they call up another counter guy if this one needs so much time to inspect and translate.
The next stop was the post office and granted they were a little slow but not really bad service at all and very polite and the lady in front of me went off on them about the cost to post a package priority mail (10.00 or so) and that they were crazy & that is why the post office is going broke and they should lose their jobs.
Are people freaking out or is this how it is? I’m thinking the heat has a lot to do with it but damn if you’re that ****ed, just stay home and chill out.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,960 Posts
You just witnessed three straws breaking three camels' backs.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I saw something like that a month age , I middle aged man in a suit and tie trying to pump gas , he was having issues with the pump when it didn't work he nuted up . That's the 1st time seen in a long time

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
In my small town 6 big cops just beat a 135 lbs homeless kid to death. Our whole town is on the brink of getting rid of the police. The public anger wasn't here before his death. It came when the police told every lie they could to avoid prosecuting their on officers for murder one. They tried very very hard to bury this... and almost succeeded. Sometimes group anger is justified.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
Generally speaking most people are afraid.

There is a flight or fight response resulting from that fear.

That’s what you are seeing.

Never before has this generation come so close to loosing everything they have worked for all their lives.

This is the result of crapping on someone’s dreams.

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
I have noticed it everywhere. Even I am stressed out but would never act like that in public. It's getting so I'm afraid to go out. Our neighbors have been threatening us because we can't afford to let them borrow what they never pay back anymore and we can't afford to move. I can't sleep anymore. I keep waking up in a panic thinking something is gonna happen. I'm always listening for strange sounds. The other day we were working in our garden and a man and woman walked by. We waved and at the same time I shook the hair out of my eyes because the wind was blowing. The woman yelled What are you shaking your head at me for and the guy shushed her. I never dreamed I would have to live like this. I have 2 guns but they aren't loaded. I'm seriously thinking of loading them and keeping them near me. I live in a small town but the drugs and crime are getting worse. It's like everyone was doused with crazy dust or something.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
I think it's a combination of things

People are working harder for much less money
Gas is $3.50-$4.00
Property values are dropping
401Ks are being lost/stolen
Constant barrage of school levies ,police levies etc.
Record sustained heat wave
The rich are getting richer and the middle class is disappearing.
Decade long recession

·
Careful of the quiet ones
277 Posts
I live in California, I see this as a daily occurrence.

Both equally on the sides of the service counter. Customers with no patience or attitude thinking the world revolves around them, people that choose not to learn English etc etc etc. And people working in stores or various customer services positions that couldn't give a rattsarse about doing their job and at as if they are doing you a huge favor be treating your like crudd as they take your money.

The last time I had great customer service was from a drive through window at a Chick-fi-la store and this was about 8 months ago...I was floored at how polite the person was. And yes I made a point of not only contacting the manager but the corporate office.

·
Careful of the quiet ones
277 Posts
I have noticed it everywhere. Even I am stressed out but would never act like that in public. It's getting so I'm afraid to go out. Our neighbors have been threatening us because we can't afford to let them borrow what they never pay back anymore and we can't afford to move. I can't sleep anymore. I keep waking up in a panic thinking something is gonna happen. I'm always listening for strange sounds. The other day we were working in our garden and a man and woman walked by. We waved and at the same time I shook the hair out of my eyes because the wind was blowing. The woman yelled What are you shaking your head at me for and the guy shushed her. I never dreamed I would have to live like this. I have 2 guns but they aren't loaded. I'm seriously thinking of loading them and keeping them near me. I live in a small town but the drugs and crime are getting worse. It's like everyone was doused with crazy dust or something.
That is one thing that really gets me.

People live in a neighborhood, but act like total strangers; or us against them. Sure there are some areas that are not like this; but I can't stand it when people look at you as if you are an alien just because you wave or say hello to a stranger.
I notice it is worst with young women.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,539 Posts
There have been occasional threads about this very thing in recent months. A lot of people are starting to notice it. Society as a whole seems to be a lot more stressed than even a year or so back. It is coming to the surface a lot more often too. I'm starting to notice it more also.

·
Member - it's a euphemism
770 Posts
One thing I have noticed is that people feel entitled to anything, and everything. An example. Every morning, I leave for work going the same direction. I come to an intersection with two right turn lanes. The right most lane is to enter the interstate going east. The lest most turn lane is for everything else.
Since I do not want to go east down the interstate, I get in the left most turn lane. I have had the same car, over and over again, as well as other random cars that pull into that right lane, then they will pull out, trying to get into the left most lane after making the turn, and get ****ed off at me because I am in their way. One person has pulled in front of me, stopping traffic to confront me. I tried to politely show her the lane markings, signs etc, but I was wrong.
Same goes while driving down the road, and someone wants to lane change into me. I honk to get their attention, just a quick one. They flip me off, and keep working their way over. Most give up, and either speed up or slow down to get where they want to be. Some will try to force me to hit the brakes. I was wrong because I was where they wanted to be.
Saw a lady lose her mind at the dentist office. Small practice of just one guy, and his assistant. He was late, and came to find out her was in a car accident. The assistant tried to explain to her (and me) the situation. I shrugged it off, and planned to make another appointment. I was not happy, but I was not mad at the doc. She flew into a rage screaming that he should be forced to have a backup, and that they should pay for her to visit another dentist.
I think the root is frustration, but there is a deep set entitlement within most of us. I think that is why government has been allowed to grow so big. Most of us want it given to us, and that is what government does.
*shrug*

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
And people think I'm nuts for wanting all this to end so that only the strong willed and skilled people survive...........

I see that type of behavior all the time, and it reminds me of why I don't like people or going into the city for any reason.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I saw an example of this on the way to work today.

Was on a 2 lane highway with the speed limit of 55 mph, 7:45 AM with plenty of traffic but everyone was going the speed limit. A van in front of me decides that 55 mph isn't fast enough and crosses into oncoming traffic to pass 1 car. The van almost has a head-on collision with a semi truck. In the end, that van ended back in front of me as the car they worked so hard to pass made a right turn.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
I think that many people are afraid. Fear that things are going the wrong direction. When you are fearful it is easy to have lowered patience.

Luckily where I live, away from the maddening crowd, most people are not acting that way. People still wave a greeting as I drive down the road. Most are polite and if someone is not, it is because something bad has just happened to them. You give leeway when that is the case.

One of my neighbors lost her husband due to a rattle snake bite last month. She is mad at another neighbor that she felt did not respond properly to try and save him. When talking to him I said you have to make allowances for her grief. She is hurting too much to be able to not be emotional. Best to be extra polite and understanding.

I wish our politicians would lay off blaming each other. It no doubt contributes to the bad attitude of people. Sometimes you need to be a bigger person and not go for the cheap shots.

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
I'm seeing it, everywhere, too. And I live in the Pac NW, where the Summer heat has not been an issue.

It's common, now, to see people screaming at the cashiers in the grocery store because prices are high and packages and cans are shrinking. I saw a guy at the bank just come totally unglued and try to drag the teller over the counter because she couldn't honor his cash advance request with his out-of-state credit card issued by a different bank.

Go to a service station to buy gas and people will sit behind you in line and steadily lay on the horn if they think the line isn't moving fast enough. Or, stick their head out the window and yell obscenities at the station attendant. (No self-serve gas in Oregon.)

The worst of it seems to be on the roads. I've always been impressed by the road courtesy shown by Oregon drivers. Now, however, people are blasting thru red lights and waiting until the last minute to do left turns by cutting off other drivers with inches to spare as they dive from the far right lane into the left turn lane. Or zig-zagging thru traffic at a high rate of speed and giving other drivers the middle finger salute.

It's just crazy out there. Maybe there is something in the water......LOL.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,539 Posts
It's just crazy out there. Maybe there is something in the water......LOL.
It's just those that need culled, making their presence known.

They are the very reason I only talk about preparedness here and in our church prep class. When I take a look at the GDP (generally dumb public), I came to the realization that I DON'T WANT THEM TO SURVIVE! I catch flack every time I post that. But they're the reason we're in the mess we're in. The less of them that make it, the less chance of rebuilding society in the image of this desperately defective one.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
It's no surprize people are flipping out . There's so much s hitting the fan these days . Nothing but bad news !
High unemployment/underemployment , high taxes , increasing health care cost , savings being drained , 401Ks losing money , homes/property losing value , forclosures , bailouts for big buisness and banks , endless wars , illegal immigration . The cost of everything - food , gas , utilities - is double what it was just a couple of years ago but wages are staying the same or decreasing .
Then there's our self serving polititions . Pointing the finger of blame at everyone but themselves . Fighting among themselves and dividing the country while our economy and way of life goes down the toilet .

·
Registered
517 Posts
I went through the McDonald's drive thru last week to get my 3-year-old something, and the girl at the drive-thru window dropped one of my dimes on the ground. She looked downright AFRAID of what I might say to her. I wondered if she gets yelled at all day!

I told her, "Don't worry about it. Somebody will walk along and find it and think it's their lucky day." Her beautiful, relaxed smile was worth taking the time to say something nice.

It made me think, though......

1 - 20 of 82 Posts