Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of getting a PTR91 GI/F.

From what I can tell the flutes are less pronounced in the F models, and prevent the use of tar sealed ammo, but the F model is said to be more actuate.

I have a DMR - both the FNAR and KAC SR-15 (yea 5.56 doesn't really count), and a CQB - SOCOM-II modified. The ammo I stock pile is American Fed 150, because it works well in both my SOCOM and FNAR.

So the questions I have break down into ammo and MOA

I don't intend on buying surplus, but in a SHFT situation I would like to make sure all of my 308's can shoot current US NATO 7.62.

Does anyone know if the current US NATO 7.62 tar sealed?

And is anyone willing to post their PTR91F, and or PTR91GI MOA? If so, can you say what model the MOA is for?

Thanks!

·
Formerly Known as GOFO
2,872 Posts
No... US 7.62x51 NATO is NOT tar sealed (basically only South African crap is).

I shot plenty of British Radway Green MIL-SURP through my PTR and never had a malfunction as a result.

Here is a group from a MSG-91 using a 4-12 Leupold scope firing surplus Radway green 7.62 NATO @ 100 yards.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Impressive, especially for a 18" barrel and surplus. Just as good, and maybe better, than my FNAR 20" HB with American Eagle 150.

Besides the hand guard, stock and rail on top of the receiver, know of any differences between the F and the MSG-91?

·
Formerly Known as GOFO
2,872 Posts
Fluted barrel - supposedly more accurate.

I got mine as an upgrade from the factory on a 91F I had problems with - they gave me the MSG without the bipod/adjustable stock.

And that group wasn't fired from a sled, I was shooting prone using a bipod attached to the hand guard.

·
Formerly Known as GOFO
2,872 Posts
Which I will add - they are a great company to deal with if you have any problems and they stand behind their rifles 110%

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
I was thinking of getting a PTR91 GI/F.

From what I can tell the flutes are less pronounced in the F models, and prevent the use of tar sealed ammo, but the F model is said to be more actuate.

I have a DMR - both the FNAR and KAC SR-15 (yea 5.56 doesn't really count), and a CQB - SOCOM-II modified. The ammo I stock pile is American Fed 150, because it works well in both my SOCOM and FNAR.

So the questions I have break down into ammo and MOA

I don't intend on buying surplus, but in a SHFT situation I would like to make sure all of my 308's can shoot current US NATO 7.62.

Does anyone know if the current US NATO 7.62 tar sealed?

And is anyone willing to post their PTR91F, and or PTR91GI MOA? If so, can you say what model the MOA is for?

Thanks!
About the only tar sealed ammo I know is Winchester white box, Indian, and South African...

18" F, sub moa...

Groups shot with handloads, but American Eagle is meat and potatoes...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jealous already.

Besides the Winchester white box 7.62, is anyone making tar sealed ammo anymore?

So far, it sounds like the only ammo that causes an issue was either the winchester white box, or ammo made over 30 years ago.

So unless a SHTF situation happens, and I expect the south african ammo fairy to show up to my rescue, the PTR91F will cover just about any currently produced 7.62 NATO ammunition?

And from what I've dug up, the F is about 30% less recoil (faster target re-aquisition), and 1-2 MOA more accurate than the GI.

It's starting to sound like the accuracy tradeoff in order to gain the ability to shoot tar based ammo, is not worth it for me. (your milage may vary of course).

The major concern I've had so far, was that I can shoot all current NATO (US), plus commercial; and good groups with Fed Am Eagle 150 - so I only have to stock one, in expensive, type of ammunition for my 308's. And if bad things a-happen, US 7.62 NATO will work.

Really should have started this thread before getting my FNAR ;) But, happy there too, as long as I don't treat her too rough.

At least this time, I found this website, and got the AGI armor's / kit builders videos. It's already hard enough to talk the wife into this one, the next will cost me a week on the couch! Ah, the price of a well armed home.

Hey, anyone using a good tritium front sight? Something the same width as the stock sight, or close. XS is FAT on my SOCOM-II, want to avoid that. Kills good sighting at 100m or greater.

And thanks again, very, very helpful...

·
Registered
6 Posts
In the market for the ptr, which is the one to get for the shtf scenario? the GI model? I was told this could shoot the tar ammo? what are the gi's going for, 800?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm deciding between purchasing the F model versus the GI model. I already have a significant amount of South African surplus. I was wondering, if I shoot it through the F model, how hard is it to clean out the tar residue?

·
Registered
46 Posts
The only thing I might add about the ptr is that a lot of the more current ones are only chamber for American Eagle meaning they don't like to shoot/feed/extract any thing else. Might be good to see if you or any one you know has one like that....
My G3a4 clone (built on ptr receiver but with German parts and of corse the compliance ones) feeds any thing from hand loads, wolf, tar sealed SA, ect with out issues-the way the HKs did. Granted some run better than others but it still eats them.

·
OLD BROWSER, NEW MEMBER
9 Posts
The G.I. will shoot anything you put in it and it's lighter than the previous F and K versions due to the original HK G3 barrel contour (light barrel, not HEAVY).
I have had a PTR 91 K and a PTR 91F. I sold the K or Karbine with the 16" heavy barrel to get a G.I. and haven't regretted it at all. Parts are cheap and I have yet to experience a single failure with either of the two current rifles after 1000 plus rounds.
The German DAG surplus sold by CTD in "Battle Packs" is TAR SEALED" and it shoots reliably in both of my guns. The Ammo/Flute problem was ONLY in the AW serial numbered guns as in AW 34XX, ect. ABOVE serial number AW1600. Both my first PTR's were AW numbers, one AW05XX(16"barrel) and the other, which I still have AW12XX(18" barrel) shoot/shot with TOTAL reliability in both these guns. the new G.I. I just got also eats any ammo fed it. They are also accurate for "battle rifles" in keeping a 1-2 MOA in most cases. my AW rifle will shoot under 1 1/2" groups all day with American eagle OR DAG German. The G.I. is close but they have gone to a new G.I.02XX serial number system on them.
Fine, Quality weapons easily as well made and finished as the three ORIGINAL H&K's I owned back in the mid-Eighties. I ALSO own a DSA STG58 FAL rifle and an old way Pre-Ban M1A from Eighties so I am not pushing these over other brands/style rifles, merely saying what is is and isn't.
In answer to part of an earlier question, NONE of the HK system Rifles is easy on brass!! You can get a snap on port buffer from RTG parts that HELPS with the brass mangling and stops the gun from throwing brass 40 plus feet! Your shooting buddies will love you for that mod.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts