Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made another thread on the MSR a few days ago, but there's some new models coming out aswell, several aimed at the mil-spec purist perspective, a couple SBRs, and of course, my favorite thus far, the MSR.

Also, it is confirmed that PTR has redisgined the PTR32 in 7.62x39 soviet. It will be rereleased later this year. Word on the street is with a new receiver on recently purchased H&K tooling, hint, hint, maybe........:taped:

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I made another thread on the MSR a few days ago, but there's some new models coming out aswell, several aimed at the mil-spec purist perspective, a couple SBRs, and of course, my favorite thus far, the MSR.

Also, it is confirmed that PTR has redisgined the PTR32 in 7.62x39 soviet. It will be rereleased later this year. Word on the street is with a new receiver on recently purchased H&K tooling, hint, hint, maybe........:taped:
love ptr there factory is in a public storage space in Unionville c.t. They are the best hk with being hk on the market.Used to love watching them test fire at the hartford gun club 2002-2003 the owner would run out grab the shell casing a look at them plus check the head space like on all the rifles.

·
Wilddieb
2,249 Posts
Wooden G3 furniture can be had for very cheap. It is interchangeable. You can get wooden hand guard and stock for 30 bucks.

More rare furniture is the black plastic hand guard with bi-pod (original) and the collapsible stock (original HK). Original HK collapsible stocks usually go for 150 plus bucks, so the hand guards with bi-pod.

Other furniture, black, olive (I had olive furniture during my service time) and wooden furniture can be had very cheap.

The positive thing of G3 rifles and the clones is: part availability still is good and parts are widely available. For which other firearm you get "like new" magazines for one buck each?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I really like the MSG90 look-a-like, I just wish it had the proper front handguard.

I also wish they would figure out a way to make the HK21's for less than $5k.

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The difference is't just the furniture, but the proper mil-spec barrel and chamber flutes underneath that wood.

"Word on the street" is that the classics (GI with powder coat and different furniture) will be between $1,199 and $1,295 MSRP, so we're looking at the same "street" price range of the GI, of likely under $1,000.

I get a feeling the "G.I.", "classic black" and "classic wood" will overcome all PTR models in sales in short order, the GI has already been flying off the shelves nonstop since it's debut, despite being limited to one distributor....

....so I'm sure that had a lot to do with the "go ahead" on mil-spec models, and the feedback was universally "I hate green furniture", "I want a finish like the other PTRs", etc, so basically people WANT a G3...

...why they didn't decide to do this earlier is way beyond me, these should have been their base models from the GET GO, but I'm glad they've finally moved in the right direction....Now with the clear choice and offerings between "match target" rifles, and mil-spec rifles, I expect them to do better as a business and shrug off that sh*tty reputation with tar sealed indian garbage....

·
Registered
783 Posts
LOL! But seriously though. The wood furniture looks really nice on the PTR. I wonder what the MSRP on the wood is going to be?
Seriously though, I like the wood funiture too. But wood is heavier, it shrinks and swells, and cracks too sometimes.
If I were getting an MSR, I'd want the synthetic simply because I think it would be more durable.

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
I'd take a green one in a second, if I had the dough! Very nice! :thumb:

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd take a green one in a second, if I had the dough! Very nice! :thumb:
Oh you, I've seen that collection, the GI is just $899....get on it....get a 2nd or 3rd job at "burger king spittin' on onion rings", and whalla, new PTR.

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Hey, many of the AK folk are going to detest my next comment but here it goes...When my Saiga x39 is done I'll be selling it to buy me a PTR. After it sells I'll probably have enuff to buy a nice new PTR91 G.I. or what have you.

Anyone know when these new mil-spec type PTR's hit shelves? It will put me in overdrive to finish that pesky Saiga.

Wooden G3 furniture can be had for very cheap. It is interchangeable. You can get wooden hand guard and stock for 30 bucks.

More rare furniture is the black plastic hand guard with bi-pod (original) and the collapsible stock (original HK). Original HK collapsible stocks usually go for 150 plus bucks, so the hand guards with bi-pod.

Other furniture, black, olive (I had olive furniture during my service time) and wooden furniture can be had very cheap.

The positive thing of G3 rifles and the clones is: part availability still is good and parts are widely available. For which other firearm you get "like new" magazines for one buck each?
Where are you seeing G3 wood furniture for $30?

And I agree. The forends with bipod and H&K collapsible stocks are going for some money these days. Also haven't seen a side fold go for cheap either. Would love to find some plum furniture. Would give it that fresh from the Congo look. :D:

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey, many of the AK folk are going to detest my next comment but here it goes...When my Saiga x39 is done I'll be selling it to buy me a PTR. After it sells I'll probably have enuff to buy a nice new PTR91 G.I. or what have you.

Anyone know when these new mil-spec type PTR's hit shelves? It will put me in overdrive to finish that pesky Saiga.

Where are you seeing G3 wood furniture for $30?

And I agree. The forends with bipod and H&K collapsible stocks are going for some money these days. Also haven't seen a side fold go for cheap either. Would love to find some plum furniture. Would give it that fresh from the Congo look. :D:

April, if not May. You best believe I will be selling off a couple of my AKs as well. ;)

G3 wood is $19 from RTG. You will need to use your recoil assembly or buy a new one. They were going for $50 a couple years ago, I guess there's been an influx lately...

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
I'd really love to find some surplus plum/brown furniture. I've seen it on military rifles in pictures. But never up close. Mainly Africa corp. with the color.

I bet if I do find it. It'll cost some money.

If the new classic models are priced about the same as the G.I. model I'm all in. I was turned off by the park on the G.I. But the new coating looks pretty nice. More like the original H&K 91.

also lets not forget the new 100 round drums for the 91 series. Almost gives it the HK21E feel. Saddly they are going for $500 a pop!

·
Wilddieb
2,249 Posts
The difference is't just the furniture, but the proper mil-spec barrel and chamber flutes underneath that wood.
According to what the paper says, all models feature a H&K profile barrel, no matter if green, black or wood furniture.

Furniture can be replaced afterwards, if it is real Mil-Spec.

....so I'm sure that had a lot to do with the "go ahead" on mil-spec models, and the feedback was universally "I hate green furniture", "I want a finish like the other PTRs", etc, so basically people WANT a G3...
If people want an authentic clone, then they don't go wood furniture and polymer grip.

And by the way: green furniture and Navy trigger group/polymer grip was the standard (infantry) configuration which has been in service in Germany until the G3 got replaced by the G36.

Everyone wants a G3, but who is willing to pay for it. That is why most people settle with affordable clones.

Interesting would be what parts the PTRs are build of, and from where the parts come?

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
I want one with a GI chamber, chrome lined barrel, collapsible HK stock, and wide triangular forearms.

This in 7.62x51:

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I want one with a GI chamber, chrome lined barrel, collapsible HK stock, and wide triangular forearms.

This in 7.62x51:
Buy the classic black, then get a wideforearm and paratroop stock, you can find these at RTG parts or HKparts...copes used to have the best price on para stocks NIW...be warned the triangle forarm and para stock will combine to be at least 1/3rd the cost of the base rifle, and the para stock SUCKS for 7.62x51 use...

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
According to what the paper says, all models feature a H&K profile barrel, no matter if green, black or wood furniture.

Furniture can be replaced afterwards, if it is real Mil-Spec.

If people want an authentic clone, then they don't go wood furniture and polymer grip.

And by the way: green furniture and Navy trigger group/polymer grip was the standard (infantry) configuration which has been in service in Germany until the G3 got replaced by the G36.

Everyone wants a G3, but who is willing to pay for it. That is why most people settle with affordable clones.

Interesting would be what parts the PTRs are build of, and from where the parts come?
That's just for the classic and GI models, all other models use match BBLs with shallow flutes...

The PTR initially used all licensed parts from H&K, Rheinmetall, EBO/Hellenic, and FMP....

The newer PTRs are built completely in house, and I have compared the new PTR made parts to H&K, RM, and EBO parts I have. The PTR is most definitely high quality, and aesthetically superior to even H&K... but they did have a couple issues with improper heat treating when making the transition a couple years ago...however fixed now. My PTR91 SC is newer and made from PTR parts, unlike my other two PTRs using surplus parts... I've shot only about 1,200 rounds through it, but no issues.

To be honest, the welding and fit and finish of the newer full-inhouse PTR exceeds H&K quality. I know that hurts some egos, but I can assure you it's not even debatable... Reliability and whatnot I guess are yet to be seen, but since the "GI" and "Classic" are using proper chamber specs, off H&K tooling, with quality parts, I feel fairly confident they would be as reliable as the real deal. Having subjected the basic "target" PTR to some real abuse, I know the PTR, and the design in general, can withstand some real torture and elements......it should be noted that PTR used out of mil-spec chambers purposely in some attempt for accuracy, recoil reduction, or brass salvaging, I'm not sure why exactly, but I think they never should have messed with depth specs. That said, I have three PTRs, two of which have the match grade barrels with shallow flute depth, and both are extremely reliable, as long as you note to not use tar sealed and generally questionable ammunition..

I am an unapologetic PTR fanboy, but before that I was also an H&K fanboy. I am still a proud owner of H&K firearms...but the fact is the PTR is "just as good or better" than the original, and should really be classified in the same tier of original licensed contract G3s/HK91s, like the original SARs and FMPs. It is built on licensed H&K tooling, up to specifications with proper materials...Unlike all other "clones" in remotely the same price range...

·
Wilddieb
2,249 Posts
Interesting, thank you very much for the detailed info.

In Germany they now also "found" some new receivers and they also make new builds out of these legit German parts.

Here a link:

http://bluedguns.de/

They made some nice improvements like flipping the charging handle downwards, so it does not collide with larger , low mounted optics.

The quality of these rebuilds seem to be higher than the original H&K G3s I had during my service time.

But we should not forget: some parts were made outside of Germany and re-imported. And some of these parts were of doubtful quality. And the G3 never has been a beauty. Nevertheless it reminds me of my past.

Next time I am back in the US I will check out these PTRs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts