Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Getting there....
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the PTR GI to the range yesterday and did some offhand shooting while standing unsupported and prone. I was also function testing the 20 magazines I bought from Cheaper Than Dirt, so I loaded several of them with 2-3 rounds at first to make certain they'd feed and such. Here's the first 25 or so shots using multiple magazines.

Now, this was standing unsupported, unadjusted rear diopter, no corrective lenses, 100 yards. I noticed I was shooting low, so I dialed the diopter up to 200m and was hitting better the next go around.

My impression: this is a really, REALLY great MBR option for less than $1K. Overall, the trigger is better than you'd expect for the money. I did have to get used to the diopter sights somewhat, but that'll come with more shooting experience. Magazine changes are quick, but I do feel the need to have a paddle release installed.

What I like:
1) The ergonomics work for me, but I am 6'2"
2) Recoil is fairly mild for it to be a .308/7.62 NATO MBR
3) Ubiquitous magazines and parts at cheap prices
4) The HK roller delayed blowback weapons are surprisingly easy to repair.
5) Per PTR, the PTR-91 GI is good to go with any factory ammo. Period.

What I'll change:
1) Have a paddle magazine release installed
2) Save up for the Hensoldt ZF scope and base. The STANAG scope base is a quick detach and more or less holds zero well with HK models.
3) I'll purchase the "classic" HK wide forend. When this guy heats up, the narrow forend doesn't offer much thermal protection.
4) I'll buy an old wooden G3 stock set for the coolness factor.

All in all, this seems the BEST buy for an MBR under $1K.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Drilling some holes in the hand guard makes a difference as there is next to no ventilation with the hand guard as is. And a heat shield is little more than a sheet of aluminum to fit the channel.

I know from experience that the ventilated wood CETME hand guard with a heat shield gets to hot to hold onto after about 4 magazines of rapid fire. It was very easy to mount a generic rail to the bottom of the guard to put a grip on. I have 3, 2 wood CETME and one plastic HK. I used a machine screw type sling swivel stud as one of the bolts to secure the rail, a harris bipod clips on very easily.

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Very nice! I've been lusting after one of those for a couple of years now,being broke sucks!
Man I am right there with you. I've wanted one for a long time. Since the days when there were H&K 91's for not out of this world prices.

One day my friend. We will have our G3 rifles.:D::thumb:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Bill Springfield in Colorado Springs does an outstanding trigger job on these rifles. The trigger on my SAR8 was much better when he got done doing his magic.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Check out a shell deflector for it. It keeps the brass from getting dented upon ejection. RTG has them. I have a FMP G3 and I put one on mine and it works very well. I also put a FSC-91 compensator on it and it cut the recoil in half. HK Parts has them. I also added the Trijicon night sight set that HK parts sells. The one with the rear sight included. Works very well. You may also wish to check out the 50 round drum mags. They work sweet. Some folks also run the heavier recoil buffer in their rifles. They say it helps with accuracy. I have the collapsible stock on mine, so it's not an option for me.

·
Answer Is No
538 Posts
How do the HK style rifles compare to the venerable FN FAL when it comes to extreme reliability? I know you could cook the rifling out of a FAL's barrel and it would still shoot when the forend melted, are HK's as good or close?
Yes, I do mean shoot-not accurately though!
Both are forbiden in Canada but it is nice to lust.

·
Registered
732 Posts
How do the HK style rifles compare to the venerable FN FAL when it comes to extreme reliability? I know you could cook the rifling out of a FAL's barrel and it would still shoot when the forend melted, are HK's as good or close?
HK-91's are arguably one of the toughest rifles ever built. The late Mel Tappan often spoke of its reliability as he would deliberately try to make his fail. He would feed it questionable surplus and sometimes even wipe toothpast on the cartridges with no issues. He wrote that on one occasion he fired 900 rounds out of his HK-91 only taking about a second between each shot. He then was able to shoot a 2 1/2" group @ 200 yards with it. They are good to go...

·
Answer Is No
538 Posts
HK-91's are arguably one of the toughest rifles ever built. The late Mel Tappan often spoke of its reliability as he would deliberately try to make his fail. He would feed it questionable surplus and sometimes even wipe toothpast on the cartridges with no issues. He wrote that on one occasion he fired 900 rounds out of his HK-91 only taking about a second between each shot. He then was able to shoot a 2 1/2" group @ 200 yards with it. They are good to go...
Damn that is tough! If I ever go south of the 49th I've got a new Full Power MBR to consider.
Thankyou.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
You may want to check out how a wide forend suits your hands. I have one with the integral bipod on it, and I've found the slim forend to be easier to hold and handle. I've seen where folks have attached a short length of picatinny rail to the bottom of the forend and added a K style grip. That may help if it gets hot.
I love the G3/91. It's one of the only weapon systems that wil extract and eject spent brass without the extractor being on the bolt. The chamber flutes allow this to happen.
I'd also consider getting the oversized rollers and any other hardware I could get from RTG. It's good to have plenty of spare parts for your primary weapon when it all goes south. I've also picked up a spare bolt and a few firing pins from RTG. Some years ago, I put aside a complete spare parts kit, just to have everything I'd need. You can also download the complete HK91 armorers manual and print it to hard copy. That will prove invalueable some day.
Another thing that I've done was to download and print the posting at HK parts about how to put the bolt and carrier back together when the rollers lock out. I keep it in the tool box that holds all my gun cleaning supplies. It's saved me lots of headaches when I've had the misfortune of taking the carrier/bolt assembly apart.
Good luck on your new weapon. It's a real beauty, and something you can trust your life on!

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
Had and used both. They're comparable, though the FAL/R1 was a lot better balanced to my hand and eye.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts