Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a central HVAC and about 12 years ago added a 14000 BTU PTAC heat pump under a window in the kitchen eating area (small bistro table). The window height was just right to accommodate the unit.

A couple of days ago it stopped and i started an online search for an inverter driven replacement. In trouble shooting I found that maybe it just needed to be reset. Further investigation revealed that the reset was on the power cord which plugs in so close to the floor it isn't visible. A reset didn't help so I kept going with the search.

This morning I woke up with the thought that the reset was GFCI rather than OCI. I tried reset with fan only and it worked but immediately tripped if I selected either heat or cooling mode. I checked the schematic to see if the controls or fan used any 120V circuits and none did so I lifted the ground and it works. No metal is exposed with the cover in place but I checked the chassis with a neon tester and no voltage was indicated.

So I have bought time to do further searching for an inverter driven unit for more economical operation and sound reduction. I found only one PTAC that uses inverter technology, the Friedrich FreshAire. I am also looking for a floor mounted ductless split system that might fit but so far they all seem to be too tall to fit under the window which is 21¼" from finished floor. Width could be up to 72".

I am not asking for anyone to do a search, just if anyone has seen a floor mounted ductless split system or a PTAC that might be worth a look. Ideally someone should produce a ductless split system designed to directly replace 42" x 16" PTACs.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I don't have a central HVAC and about 12 years ago added a 14000 BTU PTAC heat pump under a window in the kitchen eating area (small bistro table). The window height was just right to accommodate the unit.

A couple of days ago it stopped and i started an online search for an inverter driven replacement. In trouble shooting I found that maybe it just needed to be reset. Further investigation revealed that the reset was on the power cord which plugs in so close to the floor it isn't visible. A reset didn't help so I kept going with the search.

This morning I woke up with the thought that the reset was GFCI rather than OCI. I tried reset with fan only and it worked but immediately tripped if I selected either heat or cooling mode. I checked the schematic to see if the controls or fan used any 120V circuits and none did so I lifted the ground and it works. No metal is exposed with the cover in place but I checked the chassis with a neon tester and no voltage was indicated.

So I have bought time to do further searching for an inverter driven unit for more economical operation and sound reduction. I found only one PTAC that uses inverter technology, the Friederich FreshAire. I am also looking for a floor mounted ductless split system that might fit but so far they all seem to be too tall to fit under the window which is 21¼" from finished floor. Width could be up to 72".

I am not asking for anyone to do a search, just if anyone has seen a floor mounted ductless split system or a PTAC that might be worth a look. Ideally someone should produce a ductless split system designed to directly replace 42" x 16" PTACs.
If you replaced a PTAC with a ductless split system, wouldn’t you still have the hole in the wall? Seems like a small market. I allways thought of them as classroom/hotel room ACs

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you replaced a PTAC with a ductless split system, wouldn’t you still have the hole in the wall? Seems like a small market. I allways thought of them as classroom/hotel room ACs
Since many ductless mini-splits now have inverter technology and most motels use PTACs it would seem that there could be a large market. I have only seen one mini where the inside and outside units were back-to-back but it wasn't PTAC size.

Yes the hole would still exist but my thought was inside and outside units sized to fit the sleeve with a block of insulation separating the two. The reality would be essentially a two piece highly efficient PTAC that could save motels some money in operating costs and offer quieter operation. For new construction the sleeve wouldn't be required, just a three inch (or less) hole for refrigerant lines and wiring.

In my case I chose PTAC because floor or low wall mounted ductless split systems weren't (and still aren't) sized to fit my application.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,596 Posts
Might just be a blown capacitor on the heat pump.
$10 fix if you buy the cap yourself and install.

Looks like there is some sort of master reset you might try also.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might just be a blown capacitor on the heat pump.
$10 fix if you buy the cap yourself and install.

Looks like there is some sort of master reset you might try also.
Read my third ¶, my problem was a GFCI problem and I lifted the ground wire to restore operation.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I'm a LG and Mitsubishi dealer and I can't think of anything inverter driven that will let you reuse the hole your ptac sits in. But I only get access to equipment available in my area I'll send an email to my dealer rep today and ask him.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I called both of my dealer reps and a few supply houses that sell off brand ptac's No inverter driven PTAC as of now. My idea would be to use a low wall or floor mount mini split but you would have a hole in your house to deal with and the cost of a floor unit would be a major expense.
Like someone else mentioned with the amount of motel's and schools that use a PTAC you would think there would be a market for them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts