Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PSK is the core system of the two bags that I use, my Wilderness Bag and my Go & Get Home Bag. Designed to be easily moved from bag to bag as needed, or carried on its own.

If not in a pack, my PSK is designed to be a belt carry system. When I drop my pack, the PSK goes on the belt. I have a BLACKHAWK!* load bearing harness coming soon to help with the sagging pants syndrome. If the harness performs as I hope it will, I will integrate it into the system.

In its current configuration, my PSK consists of three main parts.

- Maxpedition M1 Waist pack
- Maxpedition 10x4 Bottle Carrier
- Ka Bar Becker BK7 and sheath

These are carried on a Propper duty belt, and the BLACKHAWK! harness when it arrives. The bottle carrier has two 3 inch Maxpedition tac ties on the molle back for belt loops, and a 72 inch shoulder strap made from 550 cord. The M1 Waist pack has a generously sized belt loop, as does the BK7 sheath.

The system fits nicely into my 5.11 72 Hour Rush packs, with lots of room for the other needed gear.

My PSK is built around the 10 C's of Survivability idea by Dave Canterbury. The contents of the kit are as follows.

M1 Waist Pack

- two AA batteries
- small FAK
-compass
-Altoids tin for fire kit container
-mini Bic lighter
-ferro rod
-book of matches
-fatwood sticks
-Vaseline soaked cotton balls
-tin foil sheet
-small slip float with 10 lbs braided line
-small slip float with 6 lbs mono line
-small slip float
-asst split shot & egg sinkers
-#10 bait holder hooks
-swivels
-four small eye screws
-asst flys
-20 ft high vis 550 cord
-50 plus feet of bank line
-brass snare wire
-half roll of one inch Gorilla Tape
-approx 15 ft high vis flagging tape
-small med kit with painkillers, anti diarrhoea and caffeine pills
-small herbal medicine kit
-Leatherman Wave
-Pelican headlamp
-SOG flashlight
-two candles
-SOL Heatsheet emergency blanket
-sail needle
-two hacksaw blades

Maxpedition 10x4 Bottle Carrier

-32oz Nalgene bottle
-stainless GSI nesting cup
-cotton bandanna
-Sawyer Mini, straw and squeeze bag
-plastic spork
-forty water purifying tabs

KaBar Becker BK7 Sheath

-BK7
-coarse, fine and serrated sharpening stones
-cotton cloth saturated with oil

As the system sits I am very happy with it. There is always room for improvements and upgrades though. Some things right now that I plan to change are the water bottle from plastic to stainless, and a compass with a mirror.

Please let me know what you think of my PSK set up.

Anything you would add or change? Why?

Thanks for reading.

*http://imgur.com/ouZdKDz

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,106 Posts
It's interesting to me, anthropologically speaking: the "necessity" kit for a car person vs. the kit for someone on public transit.

If I know something is coming down the line I have a pretty extensive kit.

The rest of the time, it's water bottle, knife, stun gun (I work in bad areas), kindle, maybe a dose of my medication if I will be eating my Big Meal away from home.

Since I live in a big city a lot can be scavenged, if necessary.

·
reluctant sinner
17,912 Posts
You kit sounds good. I carry the extra bit kit for my Wave. I also modified a hex bit holder to work in the bit tool's bit holder. I carry a 4,5,6mm hex bits that fit my leg and bicycle, they go in the white plastic tube. I wrapped dental floss in notches cut in the plastic bit carriers and wrapped electrical tape on them two. A needle is tucked into the webbing. When I make the new carrier/sheath I'll be adding a 4" crescent wrench and a steel pry bay.

I made a handle for my ferro rod. 30-06 case necked to 6mm. The .25 x 2.5 inch rod is pressed fit and epoxied. The grade 5 bolt is lathe cut to a square edge so it could be used as a scraper. A red rubber gasket provides the waterproof seal for the bolt. Waste gunpowder is stored in the case, enough for 10 emergency fire starts.

You might want to consider a 6" carbide jaw needle driver and a few sutures. You could sew a lot of stuff with curved needles.

Amazon.com : Grafco Mayo Hegar Needle Holder 6" QTY: 1 : Needle Driver : Beauty

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You kit sounds good. I carry the extra bit kit for my Wave. I also modified a hex bit holder to work in the bit tool's bit holder. I carry a 4,5,6mm hex bits that fit my leg and bicycle, they go in the white plastic tube. I wrapped dental floss in notches cut in the plastic bit carriers and wrapped electrical tape on them two. A needle is tucked into the webbing. When I make the new carrier/sheath I'll be adding a 4" crescent wrench and a steel pry bay.

I made a handle for my ferro rod. 30-06 case necked to 6mm. The .25 x 2.5 inch rod is pressed fit and epoxied. The grade 5 bolt is lathe cut to a square edge so it could be used as a scraper. A red rubber gasket provides the waterproof seal for the bolt. Waste gunpowder is stored in the case, enough for 10 emergency fire starts.

You might want to consider a 6" carbide jaw needle driver and a few sutures. You could sew a lot of stuff with curved needles.

Amazon.com : Grafco Mayo Hegar Needle Holder 6" QTY: 1 : Needle Driver : Beauty
Thanks for the input. Sounds like you are mostly in an urban setting? The bit set for the leather man is a very, very good idea. That should have been on my list of things to add, thank you. I also like the idea of the curved needles, they would make certain stitching jobs much easier I do believe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts