Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been probably my favorite for most of my life. Now I've got to get back outside and do some work while the sun is shining, but I just wanted to share this with y'all before I do. I'm in a rather joyful mood today, despite being wound up from nervousness. Joyful meaning filled with God's joy. Happy. Genuinely happy right now!!

I hope it is of use to someone!

Psalm 116 King James Version (KJV)

116 I love the Lord, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications.

2 Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live.

3 The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow.

4 Then called I upon the name of the Lord; O Lord, I beseech thee, deliver my soul.

5 Gracious is the Lord, and righteous; yea, our God is merciful.

6 The Lord preserveth the simple: I was brought low, and he helped me.

7 Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the Lord hath dealt bountifully with thee.

8 For thou hast delivered my soul from death, mine eyes from tears, and my feet from falling.

9 I will walk before the Lord in the land of the living.

10 I believed, therefore have I spoken: I was greatly afflicted:

11 I said in my haste, All men are liars.

12 What shall I render unto the Lord for all his benefits toward me?

13 I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord.

14 I will pay my vows unto the Lord now in the presence of all his people.

15 Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.

16 O Lord, truly I am thy servant; I am thy servant, and the son of thine handmaid: thou hast loosed my bonds.

17 I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the Lord.

18 I will pay my vows unto the Lord now in the presence of all his people.

19 In the courts of the Lord's house, in the midst of thee, O Jerusalem. Praise ye the Lord.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I have a special affection for the Psalms. I was in a period of real bad times,couldn't do anything to help solve my problems. So I just read the Psalms for a few hours. I realized how miniscule my troubles were compared to David's. The next day the problems I had solved themselves.

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
This has been probably my favorite for most of my life. Now I've got to get back outside and do some work while the sun is shining, but I just wanted to share this with y'all before I do. I'm in a rather joyful mood today, despite being wound up from nervousness. Joyful meaning filled with God's joy. Happy. Genuinely happy right now!!

I hope it is of use to someone!

Psalm 116 King James Version (KJV)

116 I love the Lord, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications.

2 Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live.

3 The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow.

4 Then called I upon the name of the Lord; O Lord, I beseech thee, deliver my soul.

5 Gracious is the Lord, and righteous; yea, our God is merciful.

6 The Lord preserveth the simple: I was brought low, and he helped me.

7 Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the Lord hath dealt bountifully with thee.

8 For thou hast delivered my soul from death, mine eyes from tears, and my feet from falling.

9 I will walk before the Lord in the land of the living.

10 I believed, therefore have I spoken: I was greatly afflicted:

11 I said in my haste, All men are liars.

12 What shall I render unto the Lord for all his benefits toward me?

13 I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord.

14 I will pay my vows unto the Lord now in the presence of all his people.

15 Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.

16 O Lord, truly I am thy servant; I am thy servant, and the son of thine handmaid: thou hast loosed my bonds.

17 I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the Lord.

18 I will pay my vows unto the Lord now in the presence of all his people.

19 In the courts of the Lord's house, in the midst of thee, O Jerusalem. Praise ye the Lord.
Thanks for this.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12
20,320 Posts
I confess the Psalms have been elusive to me, always preferring the easier to grasp Proverbs. For instance, what does v 11 mean?

I asked and got for Xmas The Treasury of David by the 19th century theologian Charles Spurgeon. It is a beautiful 3 volume set. Later this year, I hope to delve into it.

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Peter, do you mean verse 11? "I said in my haste, all men were liars'.

I take that to mean that the person talking in the psalm is saying 'in my (his) haste', meaning he was speaking without thinking thru his words or thoughts. In other words, he was upset about something and just blurted out that all men were liars. We've all done this, said something while upset without thinking about what we really feel and mean. When we do this, we often end up painting with very broad strokes to include 'everyone', right?

When he says "all men are liars", well, who knows what situation this person was talking about, theoretically. I think here the speaker was using an example of how he had been wrong in assuming all men are liars as an example of how bountifully the Lord has dealt with him in forgiving him, in helping him when he 'was brought low'.

The verse right before it says "I believed, therefore have I spoken. I was greatly afflicted". To me, this means he believed what he was about to say in v.11, that all men are liars. He was greatly afflicted by that belief, and again recognized that the Lord was great in offering salvation.

This is just my interpretation, I may be wrong but I believe I am correct in my interpretation. I've run this psalm thru my mind for decades now.

·
20,320 Posts
Peter, do you mean verse 11? "I said in my haste, all men were liars'.
When he says "all men are liars", well, who knows what situation this person was talking about, theoretically....

The verse right before it says "I believed, therefore have I spoken. I was greatly afflicted". To me, this means he believed what he was about to say in v.11, that all men are liars...
Yes, that is the Ps 116:11 I was referring to. :D:

While I appreciate your analysis of v 11, I'd prefer the text be explicit on whether the observation is in error or a poetic way of stating it is God's word, e.g., "there is one good man in a thousand" in Ecclesiastes 7:28.

Simply put, are all men liars, yes or no? If yes, why the I said it in haste? If no, is it 1 in 1,000? Who can be trusted and how to determine those who can be trusted? Psalm 116:11 leaves me with such questions.

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't quite understand.

Psalms are not God speaking. In this case, specifically, it is a man (I assume a man based on biblical context) explaining how/why he loves the Lord, and how the Lord saved him from 'falling'. He says he himself said in haste 'all men are liars'. The Lord has offered him salvation despite this, for which he is grateful and is willing to testify to this in front of others.

So you wanting an explicit yes or no whether all men are liars is not possible to answer from this psalm, I believe. The point here is not a question of whether God says all men are or are not liars. The point is that this man realizes he spoke in haste which would imply he himself knew he was wrong, else why would he say he was 'afflicted' with that 'belief' in the previous verse?

I guess I may not understand what you are asking. But in this specific psalm, it's not an issue of whether all men are liars or not. It is simply a psalm about how a man knew he spoke in haste, regretted it, and is thankful that the Lord offers salvation in spite of it.

Does that make sense?

Maybe I'm not explaining it in a good way. So if someone has a better explanation, please feel free to post it. I'd appreciate it!

·
20,320 Posts
The point is that this man realizes he spoke in haste which would imply he himself knew he was wrong, else why would he say he was 'afflicted' with that 'belief' in the previous verse?
Thanks for clarifying that.

The implication of this being a man speaking is parts of the Bible, at least, is not the Word of God. Hmmm.

I look forward to learning more about the meaning of Psalms.

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It may not be God speaking, but I believe it is inspired by God. Meaning God has filled that man's soul, heart and mind and the man feels and believes that he spoke wrongly and that God has enlightened him that it was wrong. Therefore, inspired by God.

Again, if I am not seeing this clearly, someone please feel free to comment!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts