Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Propper has began making their M65 Jacket. I think it is made of NYCO, which is mil-spec. Tru-Spec is made of NYCO as well. Tru-Spec and Propper are about the same price. I guess we'll see how they compare in the future.

There is also the Alpha brand one. It is much more expensive than the two above, however.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I'd go with the Propper or the Alpha Industries over the TruSpec. Propper is a USGI contractor, Alpha Industries was formerly a USGI contractor as well, TruSpec is not.

That being said, part of my bias has to due with the fact that I had a TruSpec softshell, and the build quality and Zips that they used were less than spectacular, They cheaped out components that recieve wear and tear.

If Propper's or Alpha's M-65 is still USGI grade then that's all the better.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd go with the Propper or the Alpha Industries over the TruSpec. Propper is a USGI contractor, Alpha Industries was formerly a USGI contractor as well, TruSpec is not.

That being said, part of my bias has to due with the fact that I had a TruSpec softshell, and the build quality and Zips that they used were less than spectacular, They cheaped out components that recieve wear and tear.

If Propper's or Alpha's M-65 is still is still USGI grade then that's all the better.
I have a TruSpec M-65 jacket. It seems good but it's my first one so I haven't compared it to other brands. TruSpec may now be using 65 poly/35 cotton instead of NYCO. USGI M-65 jackets are NYCO.

The Alpha Industries M-65 currently made may be even heavier and better made than the USGI. They have inside pockets. Also pockets in the liner. I think the list price is $180.

I have Propper and TruSpec shirts and Propper is definitely the better of them.

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,175 Posts
I can't speak to the field jackets but I bought some propper ACUs when the army changed from BDUs. Nothing but impressed with propper then.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I recently acquired the Propper M65. The material seems a bit thin. I'll see how it holds up in the future.

·
Retired Army
5,996 Posts
Got my new Propper M65 Field Jacket. Came with the liner... cool.

Dug up some patches for it... name tape, and U.S. Army, Rank, 2nd ACR (first duty station) for the left shoulder, 1st Coscom for right shoulder, (last combat tour, had to buy that because ours was DCU) pumpkin patch, and a couple of unit crests from the 2nd ACR.

Looks "Propper" for the time frame when I would have been back in the 2nd. (81-83) had I been the combat vet Drill Sgt I am now, and not a young Special Lips tanker.

Also picked up a Patrol cap to finish the look. Had to buy a "Border" tab for it though. My old hat is long gone.

·
Retired Army
5,996 Posts
It's not as nice/well made as the ones issued in the service back in the day, is it?
Dude... that was 40 years ago... I've slept since then... hell, I've been blown up since then... I just know I'm glad to have it. It's worth it to me.

The zipper is plastic, I remember the original had a brass zipper... if that helps.

Not a long term report... I've had it a damn week.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dude... that was 40 years ago... I've slept since then... hell, I've been blown up since then... I just know I'm glad to have it. It's worth it to me.

The zipper is plastic, I remember the original had a brass zipper... if that helps.

Not a long term report... I've had it a damn week.

I enjoyed reading your post, except for the blown up part. I hope you're OK and your recovery was 100%.

I doubt the material on the new jacket is as thick as the original issue one. I think there are some original issue ones on ebay but a person needs to be careful about buying a fraud. I recall seeing one for sale from the Vietnam era in good shape but it was pricey.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts