Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have overlooked the thread, but I havent seen anything regarding preparing your property for shtf. Of course this is less applicable to a more urban setting, but those of us with the fortune of less populated areas have a lot we can do.

I don't have much land (3.75 acres), but I have a spring and a well. I am getting ready to start the construction of my home, which I have made as efficient as financially possible. I have a wood burning stove, a garden, and am hoping to have fruit trees as soon as possible.

I sit back in the woods, completely surrounded by trees. I am going to gate off the driveway, and am building my boys a treehouse which overlooks the gated entry.

What am I missing? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
What is on either side of your property and behind you? this plays a part is how you prepare it. Also do you know your neighbors well? What kind of folks are they? Are you on a main road? Does the entrance to your property stand out? can you see your house site from the road? Are you planning on being there full time after you build?

In any house preperation you need to consider things like how to cover the windows. Do you have plywood cut to cover all windows and doors. Is the wood sprayed with fire retardent materials. do you have a roof that is fire retardent material. Do you have an escape tunnel out if all you know what shows up at your front door.

What weapons and other protection do you have and will they be set up for what range? can you protect all approaches to the dwelling? I am not an expert but I have built places on my properties before. I have been broken into almost every time I leave for any length of time. Good neighbors are worth a lot.

·
Fun Guy
319 Posts
For emergencies (keep this stuff in a shed till needed)
Small czech hedgehogs welded to a chain work well for access roads or other areas a vehicle might come through.

Keep the area near the house free from trees, bushes, sheds, etc. This prevents people from having cover from your guns or hiding places. It will also help if a vengeful person sets fire to your property.

·
Fun Guy
319 Posts
Ok, what's a Czech hedgehog? Some kind of foreign caltrop?
Google is your friend.

They're quite easy to make. And cheap. The smaller size make it easy for you to move them around (the chain + lock keeps anyone else from moving it). And they will absolutely frak up any vehicle that tries to go over or through them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I may have overlooked the thread, but I havent seen anything regarding preparing your property for shtf. Of course this is less applicable to a more urban setting, but those of us with the fortune of less populated areas have a lot we can do.

I don't have much land (3.75 acres), but I have a spring and a well. I am getting ready to start the construction of my home, which I have made as efficient as financially possible. I have a wood burning stove, a garden, and am hoping to have fruit trees as soon as possible.
Sounds like a great start! Some place you can enjoy now, and that will come in handy if things go bad.

I'm guessing you're interested in suggestions for protecting your place from looters and roaving bands of refugees - basically people who would reap the benefits of all your hard work, at your expense.

The way I see it, there's two main ways to defend against this. Camoflage or Castle.

Camoflage: Make your place as hidden as possible. You would want there to be no indication from the road that there is anything or anyone on the property that might interest folks passing by. If they don't know you're there, they won't bother you.

Castle: Harden your site so that you can defend it against assault. If you decide to go this route, you might consider a clear cut area all around your homestead that gives you a good line of sight and that doesn't give any "visitors" cover. Woods all around your house can mean that the "enemy" is right in your face before you know he's there. If you see them coming before they reach your homestead, you can be ready to repell them.

Too, I think the roadblocks mentioned have a ton of potential. Although, you should remember that the goal isn't just to keep someone from driving a car or truck up to your house. Thieves do have the ability to get out and walk, after all.

If you're on 3.5 acres, and I was a looter that wanted your stuff, I wouldn't be detered by a road block.

If that was your only defense, I'd just walk the few hundred yards from my truck to your house and shoot you. Hopefully using the trees and other vegetation to cover my approach until I was right on top of you.

Paladin

·
Fun Guy
319 Posts
Too, I think the roadblocks mentioned have a ton of potential. Although, you should remember that the goal isn't just to keep someone from driving a car or truck up to your house. Thieves do have the ability to get out and walk, after all.

Paladin
If they have to walk then it's done it's job.

Now this is a very nasty thing to do. Don't do it unless bad times have come. I mean bad. Cause this is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Rusted razorwire. I've been in the Army for 12 years and I can never escape this stuff. Unless the sun is shining right on it and you're looking right at it you'll never see it. And at night (when the bad guys are sneaking around your property) it cannot be seen.

Don't bother staking it down or anything, just drag several lengths of it around your property at different locations that the walkers might try to come through.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
i was digging in my front yard about 2 feet down to add wood ash and compost to let it sit there during winter when i though gee just add a top and this would be a nice little pill box

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
How about some means of alerting you to the fact that someone's coming up the driveway? And what about some kind of lighting you can turn on that will illuminate the immediate surroundings when movement is observed?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
first, yes I am aware fruit trees take quite a while, but have to start somewhere. I am also going to have chickens and yes 2 swiss mountain dogs.

I share the driveway with some very excellent neighbors, you can't even tell my property exists unless you drive past their house. So far I have a motion alarm to mount at the driveway treeline, as well as motion lights. If it says anything about whether anyone knows im back there, the people that I negotiated the pre-forecloser with did some illegal farming.....go figure you dont pay your bills, but worked out nice for me.

I am land locked on all sides, I back up to untouched woods that are completely locked in with property and a decent size creek. My house sits on a hill with a valley behind it, my walkout basement faces this valley and I plan to have that as my escape route.

As of now I own no guns, I have training in Muay thai..if they get close enough, but I am planning on purchasing weapons in the near future. I also have 2 people that I have already discussed our meeting at my place, one of which has a couple ar15s fully decked out with larue tactical, as well as some handguns, shotguns etc.

My plan is actually to invest in a few handguns, but primarily compound bows, I like the idea that I can stay on the silent side.

I was also thinking of investing in a decent quantity of camonetting just in case shtf and I wanted a little extra coverage. Other than that I am doing strategic landscaping to seclude as much as possible.

·
Registered
50 Posts
ARRRGGHHHHHHH

This won't work. Think about it. Castles in medeval days were conquered with primitive weaponry, the days of the impenitrible fortress are over, unless you have 5 mil. to spend. Look at our embassies over seas. Do you think that without the amount of troops they have they could hold their ground? We have terrorists in a 1973 izuzu pickup with rusty ex-soviet AK's putting up a decent fight. Do not be fooled, saftey precautions are wise, but not an means to safety. I'll pretend that I'm the local warlord.

1. I either locate your sight, your neighbor rats you out or I follow someone back to it (you'll eventually come out for supplies.)

2. I white flag it and offer a "deal" of protection in exchange for a small "fee"

3. You refuse, I
a. burn your whole place to the ground to make an example of you (controled burn, of course)
b. construct crude balistic appartus and pummell your location.
c. knock trees down on your house
d. remove the roadblock and crash a 1978 blazer through your living room (chock full of explosives, of course)
e. breed rats and release them feet from your house in the middle of the night
f. turn your neighbors against you through decpetion or the promise of profit
g. good old "gas through the window"

I could run through the alphabet, and I'm even a pretty nice guy. Imagine what a hungry, desprite mob is capable of.

I stress it again. COMMUNITY. safety in numbers + desirable living arrangemnt = power and stability

·
Registered
12 Posts
ARRRGGHHHHHHH

e. breed rats and release them feet from your house in the middle of the night
WTF?.... :rolleyes:

Its the Willard strategy :thumb:

Take a deep breath.

Your reasoning is the same that people use to argue against keeping weapons in your home for defense. If someone wants you dead, they argue, they can just walk up behind you at a restaraunt and shoot you in the back of the head while you eat lunch.

That sort of reasoning, while correct in it's way, completely ignores the millions of other potential scenarios where my possessing a gun would save my life.

Undoubtedly, survivors would band together after a collapse for mutual defense, sharing resources, etc. The initial casualties immediately after a permanent collapse would be enormous. I'd wager that within the first couple of months, a huge chunk of the population would die off due to starvation, disease, violence, and plain old general attrition due to lack of medical services.

The idea here, though, is to take the steps that increase the likelihood that my family is still be around after the initial die off. Eventually, we would hook up with other people nearby who were either prepared enough, or lucky enough, to survive too. Its never my intention to be a solo survivor surrounded by roaming gangs forever.

I stockpile food and supplies so that my family doesn't die in the first waves. I became proficient with weapons so that I can keep the initial, likely unorganized, wave of looters and thugs from taking our lives or our "stuff".

Its not very likely that the average thug on the street will respond to a collapse by immediately forming a band of roavers complete with catapults and siege engines. ****... the vast majority of people I have contact with on a daily basis are completely wigged out by the sight of a dead squirrel in the street in front of their house for pete's sake :) Most sheeple, given a complete and permanent shut-down, will be content to blugeon each other to death in a short period of time.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is this: Just because a bug out bag won't protect you from a direct nuclear strike, doesn't make it a stupid idea to have one.

Paladin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts