Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Be Prepared
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to give an example of a situation and I'd like your thoughts on the way you'd go about it, remember to consider all the dangers involved... Also feel free to share your bug out procedures.

You've been bugged in for awhile do to a market crash, you live in the suburbs of a pretty decent size city and you've protected your castle up to this point, say it's been a month. However on this day, there's an EMP...

Let's say you have a BOV that works (older truck), you load your supplies (hopefully in bins easy to load within 5 min) and you have fuel and water in big 55+ gallon drums... Everything is loaded it's 10pm, how do you proceed?

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
The very first question, where are you going?? Are you and your family going to live out of your car / truck? Or do you have a real place to go?

·
Be Prepared
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The very first question, where are you going?? Are you and your family going to live out of your car / truck? Or do you have a real place to go?
Sorry, you are headed to a BOL (not living out of a truck, but with family members in the mountains etc..)

wife and 2 kids will be with you!

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I dont understand the question. I hook up my bar-b-q pit, load up my gear and I drive. Its a process of putting pressure on the brake pedal, shifting into drive, releasing pressure off the brake pedal and putting pressure on the gas pedal, from there you start to move forward.

Its a pretty simple straight forward process.

How did you load the fuel? 55 gallons of gasoline weighs about 385 pounds, 7 X 55 = 385.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
First I wouldn't leave at night. The bad guys can hear and see you and you wont see them until it's too late. Wait for daylight, if theres any law left. They are going to be scarse during hours of darkness. Just my 2 cents.......Alaskan

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,746 Posts
Sorry, you are headed to a BOL (not living out of a truck, but with family members in the mountains etc..)

wife and 2 kids will be with you!
First thing I do is stop and ask my wife where the hell she got two kids.

What I do fom there depends on her answer.

·
Be Prepared
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First I wouldn't leave at night. The bad guys can hear and see you and you wont see them until it's too late. Wait for daylight, if theres any law left. They are going to be scarse during hours of darkness. Just my 2 cents.......Alaskan
That is more the answer Im looking for... Also, Kev, 55 gal drums would already be in the truck from the day they are purchased and filled. I'm trying to see the best process of leaving like Alaskan touched on... Do you cover supplies with a tarp? Wouldn't leaving in the day be equally as dangerous? Especially if you are the only working car on the road (for the most part)? I just wanted some of your thoughts on what you'd do...

Kev, love the bbq pit!

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Barders : I'd first do a little recon to check out the roads. If the EMP hit at a time of high traffic, your likely to find cars dead in their tracks where they were when the electronics fried.
Something to keep in mind........Alaskan
PS. Yes I would tarp my load. Handy item to buy. They make an elastic cargo/net to cover the bed of the truck. Keeps the tarp from flapping and making a bunch of noise. Bought mine at a run of the mill auto parts store..

·
Corporate Stooge
116 Posts
You've been bugged in for awhile do to a market crash, you live in the suburbs of a pretty decent size city and you've protected your castle up to this point, say it's been a month. However on this day, there's an EMP...

Let's say you have a BOV that works (older truck), you load your supplies (hopefully in bins easy to load within 5 min) and you have fuel and water in big 55+ gallon drums... Everything is loaded it's 10pm, how do you proceed?
BOV: 78 VW Rabbit with mechanical fuel injection, love those cars. Has a small trailer, roof rack, and luggage area. Our family has a 10 minute plan that we can execute from the minute we're woken by WTFHTF. There are backpacks for each of us loaded with the usual, and 6 24x15x12 plastic totes with food/ammo all by the back door. I think the hardest parts are getting the water jugs(5 gal) loaded, and the GP-Small hoisted onto the roof-rack. There are neutral brown canvas tarps to cover the trailer and roof so the gear isn't spied. I've also got NVGs for driving without the lights. Hell, I even installed a switch to cut power to the tail lights.

And I do have two kids. We also DO live in the burbs of a pretty decent sized city.

The hardest part of any bug-out is getting out of town whilst avoiding LEO entanglements or traffic issues. Fortunately for us there are residential streets that only cross major roads twice that can get us out of town. From there it's to our BOL and setting up camp, hoping for the best while prepared for the worst.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Barders: For future reference , 1 gal of fresh water weighs 8.34 lbs. Regular gas is 6.25 lbs per gallon.
As for tarps, get the green ones, the regular blue ones , even with my bad eyes I can see them at over a mile.
If there is a EMP burst it would be worth your while to carry an extra set of points, condenser and a coil. Cheap insurance.
A good fuel transfer system would be a good investment. After an EMP burst all those cars along the road are going to have fuel in their tanks. An extra 40 gallons will get you many miles down the road.
When I lived down south, The Napa Valley in California. I was ready to bug out in 15 mins. My BOV was a 3/4 ton Dodge van. Built in 60 extra gallons of fuel tanks and built in storeage bins.
My BOL was up in the Redwoods and had more than enough fuel to get there. Since I grew up in the area I knew all the back roads and logging roads.
Where I live now there only one road so thats why we have chosen to stay put.
Good luck on your preps and plans...........Alaskan

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm counting on an 81 diesel Toyota. Trailer carries supplies, including an extra 15 gallon gas tank, a kitchen set up, solar array and a heavy duty "roof top" tent.

I'm lagging behind on having everything in bins and ready to go. 72 hour bags are good, but packing up with the intention of not coming back for a long, long time--if ever--is something I need to work on.

I have a good BOL, initially two routes, multiplying into several as I get closer. Walking in is also a possibility, although it would be through remote wilderness and supplies would have to be limited. This is one reason why I think a few caches at a solid BOL is a good idea if you can spare the supplies.

Just thinking it through, I have to concur that traveling at night may have more minuses than positives. Roadblocks and ambushes are possible in both scenarios but I have a much better chance of being innocuous and of seeing something up ahead than I do in the dark.

One option to consider might be leaving in the dead of night, through neighborhoods and outlying areas where I already have good intel/recon and getting a certain distance on backroads that I know well through the serious boonies and then arcing onto my main route in less known territory come daybreak.

I don't know if I'd be traveling alone, with one or with two or more. These things are always variable. Ideally, if it were a sketchy situation, I'd be traveling with at least three. Focused driver, forward lookout and rear lookout. Five would be better, more eyes and ready defense with spotters.

On the other hand, I have no idea why an EMP attack would follow a market collapse. If it did, I'd think that many folks would be scrambled for a time and it could well be the case that the first few hours following would be a golden time to move.

But, I've been told that it is a myth that an EMP would disable cars, even modern computer-controlled cars, for more than a temporary period. Anyone have definitive info?

·
Fideli Certa Merces
178 Posts
But, I've been told that it is a myth that an EMP would disable cars, even modern computer-controlled cars, for more than a temporary period. Anyone have definitive info?
I'm no expert, and would love to hear what someone that knows what they're talking about thinks about cars being disabled by EMP. Some say yes, some say no.

I do know that if EMP disables anything, it wont be temporary. EMP damage is not just interference that clears up after a while. If something is damaged by EMP the only way to fix it is to replace the electronic components that were damaged.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
um... yes, we know this :)

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Who are these "bad guys"?? Do you live in a crime infested area or something??

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Kev : Going along with the situation described . Sounds like things had been in the toilet for about a month.
People are hungry, a running truck loaded with supplies would be a prime target, to someone who is hungry and their kids are hungry.
If someone tries to take my stuff that puts them on the bad guy list.
A nuke attack a month after a economic collapse doesn't sound that far out of line.
We're sitting on some pretty prime real estate, from sea to shining sea.
If our whole economic infrastructure has collapsed what a great time for some rouge nation to try to plant their flag on the US soil.
Just my 2 cents........Alaskan.....

·
Strength and Honor
290 Posts
I would bug in under that scenario. Local LE or NG would surely be confiscating any running vehicles in the name of public emergency. If they can take peoples guns after Katrina they can surely take your vehicle if we come under and EFP attack. If you're lucky they'd leave your supplies, but then they wouldn't be much good because you'd then be stranded. :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Get to a distant rural village you've chosen previously, make contact with the locals and start contributing to a community so you become valuable.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Another question, and sorry if it's been asked already: Is it a martial law/curfew environment? Are there armed looters on the street?
No use driving out if a road block down the way will stop you, or worse yet, make your care into an iraqmobile for driving afterhours.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts