Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me if propane ever does bad? i have some really old canisters of it that still work, but overall does it expire?

seems to me that in a SHTF scenario it would be a good resource for heat and power.

i know also that gasoline generators can be converted and even diesel vehicles can be converted to run on propane, but seeing as my house has two large propane tanks for heating already, it might be a good idea to use propane for power as well.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
The ranch has a 15kw propane genny as backup. Works well enough. Was pricey though, compared to our diesel izusu 25kw, which was half the price. If you can afford it, go with two generators, and use whichever fuel is cheaper.

We're off the grid here, so it seems everyone up here has two generators. One we use, and one we use when the one we use is broken. If you are off grid as well, having a propane genny as a backup might be a good idea, then you can switch off based on price.

Propane is going to be hard to get post SHTF though.

·
High on a mountain top
435 Posts
As for the disposable cylinders I've had several of them start leaking when old. I can use them fine but once you take them off the device you're using the propane doesn't stop coming out. Not the end of the world as you can just keep it attached to the stove etc. until it is empty. Never had one leak on it's own, just after I take it out of storage and start using it and later disconnect it.

·
I'm keeping my eye on you
2,204 Posts
The propane will last longer than the tanks. Leaking with age will be your worse problem for long term storage. Keep the tanks clean and dry will help. Most generators can be adapted to propane. Mine will run on either gasoline or propane. It is much safer to store propane than gasoline, it lasts longer and you can use it for fueling heaters, cookers, grills, generrators, lights, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I store propane. I have tanks that have has propane stored for years and it is still good. I store as much as possible because my BOV runs on gas and propane. I have pictures of the conversion on my BOV. But Idk how to upload them to here. Propane for vehicle fuel produces less horsepower (avg 10% less) than gas or diesel. Meaning less fuel economy. Propane where I am in Texas is also more expensive per gallon that gas. But for long term storage...you cant beat it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the best fuel power for shtf is wood. As it in a wood gasifier. And possibly a hydrogen generator running off a solar power charged battery. Or add extra car batteries under the hood or other location that can be charged whenever you are running the engine with the wood gasifier. I working on the gasifier and hydrogen gen now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.