Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over time I have had a problem with propane tanks that wouldn't release their contents; I'd open the valve, but got no gas, even though, by weight, the gas was present in the tank.
(This has happened at times of moderate temperature.)
Has anyone a cure for a "reluctant" tank?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Yes I do but it falls in the same catigory as those high efficiency 55 gal. plastic trash burn barrels.

Place the tank at 250 yards and shoot it with a 50bmg APIT, it will release its contents for ya.

Sorry I could not be any real help.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Take it down and exchange it at your closest Blue Rhino. Unless you are going to go with the .50BMG suggestion (Which I like by the way) $20 in propane is not worth getting hurt over. Once you the the Blue Rhino or whatever the equivalent is in your area (Sold at Gas stations or home depot) Then if they don't work you just take them back and exchange them and let them worry about it if they don't work. I keep several tanks at the house and have never had any problems with them.

·
Banned
468 Posts
I have tried the exchange system. It worked for a while but I started to come across ones that didn't work. After changing it out, I would get home and the new one didn't work. Sucks having to drive all the way back to change it out again and hope that the store would honor the exchange. The one I have now is from Costco and has a gauge on it. I have owned it for 2 yrs with no problems and I get it refilled at U-Haul.:thumb:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all who replied!-at present I have no Ma-Deuce available, so will use the "Blue Rhino" cure.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
Something to check:

These are OPD tanks. If you have the gas on when you connect the propane, unknowingly, the tank will not pressurize the system. Connect your tank, making sure your grill or other item is off. Turn on tank and then turn on grill. If that doesn't work, turn off tank, turn grill on and then off again. Turn tank back on and see if that cures the problem. It could be a pressure imbalance. The other thing to check, tip tank side to side, listen for float valve inside tank to move. If it doesn't, that has been damaged and it needs a new valve.

Snoop!

·
Sky Soldier
338 Posts
The new OPD safety valving have to have back pressure to open, if it is in a grill besure all burners are off before opening the tank.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The overfill shut off valve is stuck. First way this happens is if they get transported other than upright. Rolling around in the back of a truuck is another way. One unrecomend way to fix this is to tap the tank on the ground till the float drops. Unrecomened because of obvious dangers. Enertia is your freind tie a stout rope to handle [not valve] suspend tank from rope, drop tank so it jerks at the end of the rope without impacting ground or anything else. Repeat warning do NOT tie rope to valve. A fall of three feet seems to be enough to shake loose the valve. Personal note; don't you feel safe now that the feds have mandated these malfunctioning valves on all propane tanks.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I've run into this problem before. The solution was to make certain the appliance connection is completely tightened. There is another safety device on the OPD bottles that will not allow gas to flow out of the bottle if the grill connector is not turned in tightly. This feature is to prevent gas from being released and filling spaces to create an explosive/flammable area if the valve gets opened unintentionally.
If turning your connector completely tight does not work, it's either the bottle or there may be damage to the appliance connector.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If you have a tank never allow it to pull air.

Never allow the valve on a empty tank to stay open so that air and moisture gets into the tank. one more days of heating in the sun and cooling at night can draw in a lot of moisture.
Always leave a pound or two pressure to remain in a empty tank. to prevent problems

One the oxygen in the air allows the inside of the tank to rust. and two the moisture will freeze to ice and plug the valve or the screen in your hose system.

The OPD system can be jammed by this ice or rust.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The overfill shut off valve is stuck. First way this happens is if they get transported other than upright. Rolling around in the back of a truuck is another way. One unrecomend way to fix this is to tap the tank on the ground till the float drops. Unrecomened because of obvious dangers. Enertia is your freind tie a stout rope to handle [not valve] suspend tank from rope, drop tank so it jerks at the end of the rope without impacting ground or anything else. Repeat warning do NOT tie rope to valve. A fall of three feet seems to be enough to shake loose the valve. Personal note; don't you feel safe now that the feds have mandated these malfunctioning valves on all propane tanks.

x2 on above .that is what the guy told me that fills my tank.
:thumb:

·
BASS
2,275 Posts
I have taken off the propane line from the tank and pick up the tanks and turned it upside down in the air and gave it a shake.

I have also burped the tank. Shut of the gas grill burners. With the tank turned on start to loosen the propane line at the tank.. You will get burp of gas and then re-tighten the propane line and start the grill. It works for me and I have a tank I need to do this with quite often.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Propane Tanks!

I just had this same problem with a tank. Did a search on line and there was no real definite answer.

Here's what I did: after checking all lines on my tiger torch I realized that the valve must be the problem so I grabbed my other tank hooked it up....it worked fine.

Solution: I laid the tank on its side (orifice aimed upward) sprayed penetrating fluid inside the orifice (1/3 full) opened the valve and left it for about an hour. Came back with a screw driver depressed the plunger for 1/2 a second and it sucked the fluid right in..then I opened and closed the valve a bunch of times, cleaned out the remaining fluid out of the neck, hook the torch up worked perfectly (gas came out faster then the new tank I had).

Where im at they don't fill them only exchange and the new tank is old with a crappy paint job...lol

Im sure Wd/40 would work but I couldn't find the spray bottle. Pretty sure the penetrating fluid is better but use what you got.

·
Registered
930 Posts
watch doing that oil will ignite at 90 lbs and above.Seen a guy do that years ago to a set of valves on a cutting torch was fine most of the day he went turned them on later a boom. blow the regulator to pieces. lucky for him his hand is still there. I was about 30 ft away when it happened and I told him that morning not to do that but the gauge is sticking he said .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts