Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the Search' feature but couldn't find a thread about this, although I'm sure there may be one around somewhere...

Yesterday I was at Wallyworld and noticed those one-litre (quart?) sized containers of propane. We usually have the big one for use with the barbeque, but I'm wondering if the little ones might be a good thing to store. They are smaller, thus more portable and easier to put on a shelf. How does one store it, though? Could it be left in a shed year-round? There is no way that I can see to put any kind of preservative in those little bottles, and would you even need it? They are about $5/bottle, but sometimes all I have is $5.00 to spend.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I store them in my garage year round. They remain stable and I have some that I have used that are a few years old. We use them for my little coleman grill and for the coleman lanterns.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Kept out of the elements so they don't rust, they will pretty much last forever.

Just last summer I pulled one out of my boat that had been sitting there for at least 2 or 3 years, it had rolled behind the livewell and I hadn't seen it. It was rusty & dirty. Plugged it in to my Coleman camp grill and it worked fine.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Damnation, those little buggers are too expensive and of little practical use. If you are buggin in get a big 500 gallon tank or even a 1000 gallon tank; if you buy it instead of "rent" it then you can always buy fuel from the vendor willing to give you the lowest cash price.

BTW.... If YOU own the tank it can be buried sub-soil... outta sight, safe and secure.... this could last you many years for cooking.

I keep over 30 "barbeque sized" portable tanks full at any given time in a well ventilated building.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I agree that a large tank is the best value. But it is still a nice back-up to have some of the little cans.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
You are spending about $6 a gallon for the 1lb container. (80% full, by law) propane is currently about 2.99 a gallon. The 5 gallon containers cost a bit, but you will save money in the long run.

A silly trick that works: Keep an eye out for old containers with the 5 point star type valve on them. They cannot be filled, since they lack an OPD (Overfill Protection Device) but you can exchange them at Blue Rhino, Amerigas, or some other such tank swap kiosk. You get a tank that is not quite full, and are paying a premium for the gas, but you get a tank that you can fill at any station that sells propane. Since a new tank runs about $30-40 and a new valve install can cost 25+, it makes sense to swap the tank, but after you use it, fill the tanks, do not swap them, as those companies seriously mark up your gas AND fail to fill the tanks to even 80% capacity.

(I actually just pumped 17 gallons of LPG in the middle of writing this, we sell propane here at the Farm Supply)

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Large tanks alone are a bad idea in my opinion.

1: they have to be filled by truck.
2: a buried propane tank that is not properly vented is a bomb.
3: All the eggs in one basket. Tank ruptures, regulator goes, whatever, and you are stuck. I have 70 gallons stored from the cabin days, and it was about a one month supply if we used propane heat instead of wood heat. Would last about ten times as long for cooking and fridge.

Also, forgot to mention, harbor freight sells a device for refilling 1lb tanks from a larger tank. It's illegal to do so, but legal to own. ;)

·
Registered
33,183 Posts
$5 seems kinda high for them. I bought them in cases of 4 for $9 at Meijers, wally mart here had them for $2 for $7 IIRC.

I bought a bunch for my stove/oven that I bought...they should store a very long time.

(I hope)

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
I usually pay about 2.50 for 1 lb tanks.

Get one of those refill adapters so you can refill the 1lbs from a 20 lb.

BIH
Bingo,

Grandma,

As for how to store them, Cool dark place. Cost is up to you and what you think is fair. Keep an eye out for empties, trash can at the campground or park might be a good place. Empties can be refilled and stored.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I can usually get them at Wallyworld for 2 for $5.25. I also use them for my coleman gas stove and lantern. I store them in my garage year round.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
Propane does not "rot", go bad over time, like gasoline, diesel, kerosene and other fuels do. Propane will store forever.
The little 1lb. bottles will store forever, too, if you keep them from rusting out and keep them somewhat cool so they don't build up excess pressure and blow the safety valve. The bigger bottles and tanks are the same way, keep them dry and don't let them overheat, probably best to store them somewhere that's ventilated in case a safety valve does pop.
It's not illegal to refill the 1 lb. bottles, and you can buy the device to fill them off a 20 lb bbq tank in many places. Under DOT regulations it is illegal to TRANSPORT the refilled bottles.
There are two kinds of bulk tanks, above ground and underground. They come in various sizes from about 90 gal up to several thousand gal. The underground tanks are made to be buried and if properly installed, will give you no problem for many many years.
It is a good idea to own your own bulk tank, though they are expensive. Have whoever is charging the least fill it when it needs it. Another advantage of the bigger bulk tanks is that you'd only need to fill it every year or two or more depending on size and usage. You can also get equipment to fill bbq and smaller type tanks and bottles, even your propane powered vehicles or motorhome, off the bulk tank. That's expensive, too.
Remember that propane is heavier than air and if there's a leak or a safety valve pops it will settle and flow to low places, like basements and cellars. Keep that in mind when deciding on where to store the bottles and install the bulk tanks. There's an impressive ruin of a once beautiful lodge at the top of Mt. Evans in Colorado, a "14'er" just West of Denver. Seems there was a propane leak that flowed downhill into the basement kitchen and the lodge took off for several other places. We enjoyed going up there often when we lived there.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
also, you may need to get an adapter if you want to use those one pound canisters on a larger grills or other standard propane size devices. They are designed for portable coleman devices. Check the connectors.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
A silly trick that works: Keep an eye out for old containers with the 5 point star type valve on them. They cannot be filled, since they lack an OPD (Overfill Protection Device) but you can exchange them at Blue Rhino, Amerigas, or some other such tank swap kiosk. You get a tank that is not quite full, and are paying a premium for the gas, but you get a tank that you can fill at any station that sells propane. Since a new tank runs about $30-40 and a new valve install can cost 25+,)
My brother and I stumbled into some of the old tanks and tried to swap them, but they wouldn't take them. I'm pretty sure it was a Blue Rhino vendor.
Sam's Club sells new 20# tanks for about $25. I've gotten a couple, then taken them to a place I know that fills them the full 20 pounds for about $18 bucks. :thumb:

·
Banned
647 Posts
I keep a bunch of the 1 lbs. and 20 lbs. Both sizes are good to have. I don't always want to be carrying around a 20 lb-er if I can make do with a 1 lb-er. It'a all in what you want to do with it. I have a couple tanks that haven't been messed with for at least six years, now.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
A 20lb tank will hold about 4.5gallons of LPG before kicking the OPD float.

x
------

As for the swap, just go to another place. I hate to say it, but I know the guys working at the nearest gas station that does blue rhino are all half-wits, and they go through four employees a month. I send all our customers there when they have non-opd valves.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
plus the upside of having a few gas grill size tanks and one pound tanks is the option to trade for something u need in case SHTF. Can't really trade any from a 500 gallon tank plus everyone would know where u keep your supply...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts