Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Nature is My Medicine
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping someone could help me out. I'm not too familiar with how propane reacts to the cold, but I know that cold weather has affects on the pressure inside of the tanks.

If I were to store propane tanks in the shed, would the constant pressure changes cause propane loss/leakage over time? The tanks are not exposed to rain, sleet or snow... only cold temperatures. I'd like to think they'll be good for future use, but I want to be sure. Thanks in advance!

·
reluctant sinner
17,448 Posts
They like cold. On hot summer days in the sun the tanks can vent to release some of the higher pressure which cools the propane in side the tank. Given enough heat and time the tank will almost go empty.

When its like -40 or colder I doesn't want to change into a vapor so you can burn it.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Keep the tanks off the moist ground so they don't rust out and they'll last for decades. Keep them out of the sun so automatic venting doesn't get activated because of overpressure. They are the very best long-term storage fuel you can buy.

Be aware that there's a fill date stamped on the upper rim of every tank. It's not supposed to be filled 12 years after that date without first being recertified. At that point I just recycle the non-certified tank at Walmart to get a half-filled replacement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was wondering about the 12 year date on the propane tanks. I visit our local dump and can find alot of tanks that are still good (date wise). On a recent visit they had 17-20 lbs tanks. I took 6 of them (free), the rest had damage to the top ring, old style valves, rust or the 12 year inspection date was expired. I haven't tried to see if our local refill/replacement places will take the expired tank in for a good certified tank. Since I'm not paying for the tanks I guess I need to try.

·
M.R. Not
4,677 Posts
I haven't tried to see if our local refill/replacement places will take the expired tank in for a good certified tank. Since I'm not paying for the tanks I guess I need to try.
No your refill place will charge you to have the tank re-certified, and the re-cert is only good for 5 years. You can take your tank to a self service exchange place and exchange it for a newer tank, I have done that twice and both times the tank was less than a year old, or you can exchange at one of your convenience marts but don't exchange it for a Blue Rhino, they can only be filled by the Blue people.
Something about a magnetic one way valve in the valve.

Rancher

·
Registered
198 Posts
Boy Scouting in winter, about 0 degrees F, lanterns, stoves all failed. Except for the liquid fueled lantern and stove and firewood I brought from home. Cold is good for storage. My gas is mostly in the shaded. The bottle than fuels our kitchen range is in full sunlight 6-10 hours daily.

Butane evaporates at cooler temps than propane.

·
1,313 Posts
I agree that propane is the best choice and it does hold up very well. We have 3 way fuel carburator kit that will allow use to use gasoline, natural or propane with our generator. Out of the 3, Propane in a 20 lb tank can make your gennie portable if need be. We do store in a much larger tank for everyday use.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
I've had several propane tanks that had the seals go, maybe ten years old. You can see the cracks in the O ring. Might be able to extend their life with a wipe of silicon grease every year or so. These are stored in a lawn shed.

·
You talkin' to me?
8,463 Posts
<snip>
Butane evaporates at cooler temps than propane.
Incorrect, Propane boils at -44F, Butane at 34F. Keep tanks clean and dry they can hold useable propane for many many years. We recently had a customer reactivate a tank that had been last filled 25 years ago, the gas stored inside was as good as the day it was put there.

·
Registered
273 Posts
just dont store it in a basement
propane is heavier than air so if it leaks it will pool in your basement and a spark could set it off

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ours is stored in an old drafty unattached garage under one of those bright blue cheap tarps to keep the dust off of them. Funny thing is, the propane that was released in the heat of summer last year turned the tarp dark green...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts