Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I want to get a back up heating source because I don't have a fireplace. I am thinking of getting the propane heater called the Big Buddy by Mr. Heater. I don't like the smell of kerosene unless I'm out camping. Is there any good reason why I should get kerosene over propane?
Thanks for your suggestions.
WalkingDead

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
Kerosene heaters

Propane is cleaner burning then kerosene. Propane can be stored for almost forever, can be used for hot water heaters, stoves and ovens.

Kerosene heaters can leave a residue in your house from the smoke. Besides for a space heater, kerosenes other applications are a little limited.

My wife and I found this space heater $100 dollars off at lowes 2 years ago. We use it when we want to take the chill out of air, without firing up the central heating unit. Last time we bought kerosene it was $3.00 a gallon. That price is expected to go up. After we use the heater for long periods of time, we find a residue on the cabinets, doors and other places. The residue is like a fine oily dust. So we do not use the kerosene heater too much, just when we need to.
DSC02717.JPG DSC02716.JPG DSC02715.JPG

My parents use propane at their deer camp and its great. The hot water heater, stove, oven and furnace all use propane. In the hot water heater, the pilot light keeps the water hot without having to use the main burner. One time we were up there the furnace blower was not working, so we just lit the stove. Using a couple of burners, we were able to get the whole place warm.

In the long run I prefer propane over kerosene.

:cool:

·
Wild Wild... East
3,013 Posts
I am for propane also. Burn without smell, have better caloric power, long term shelf life (frever :D), cheap, you can convert easily propane burners to biogas burners, and the reasons can go.

Bogdan

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
I have the Big Buddy for my boat when I'm away from the dock and cannot use the central heat & a/c. I like it, it does what it's supposed to do. It's safe, not too bulky, and pretty efficient. It tkes the same cannisters as my boat grill so that helps too.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I've got the Big Buddy heater and an old Perfection kerosene heater. The buddy heater is cleaner and has a built in fan. The Perfection only seems to make alot of smell when it is first lit. Once it heats up, it's not too bad. One thing I prefer about the Perfection, is that I can cook on top of it. The low oxygen shut off on the Buddy is a really nice feature.

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
Thanks for the reminder about propane. I have four empty tanks (shameful, I know) in my back yard as we speak. I need to do something about that before things hit crisis proportions. One thing I didn't know is that propane can be stored for a long time.

This message board keeps getting better and better!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Y'all, Rock!!!
Thanks so much for the great information and fast replies! My friends here in Dallas that I dared to tell, that I am getting ready for the worst just in case, think I'm nuts. I just can't seem to motivate them to get prepared. So I just stop telling them. Have any of you guys and gals had the same problem? Also where is the best place to buy propane?
Thanks again!
Patrick

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello Fred,
I want to get the Big Buddy because it is portable. Actually the Big Buddy can be wall mounted. It also has two of the ceramic blocks. How do you get your propane? Commercially or the 20lbs?
Thanks
Patrick

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I get it locally from a rental store.They sell bulk,delivery,or will fill your portables.About $10 to fill a 20 lb.,or $1.75 per gallon bulk delivered.

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
sheeple

My friends here in Dallas that I dared to tell, that I am getting ready for the worst just in case, think I'm nuts. I just can't seem to motivate them to get prepared. So I just stop telling them. Have any of you guys and gals had the same problem?
Patrick
Well, Patrick I know what your problem is - you do not speak fluent sheepinize. The sheeple speak a mix of their native language and sheep talk.

sheeple.jpg

Sheepinize, or sheepish is VERY hard to learn. After years of practice, I have only learned to say "hello", and "how are you today?".

After the "hello" part, their eyes just glaze over. The glazed part might be from eating too many donuts. Intelligent discussion is almost impossible. Sheeple are usually self focused and only want to talk about money, their new car, house or toys. Any type of talk about voting third party, or a terrorist strike with a nuclear bomb and the sheeple get confused.

Use terms the sheeple can relate to - such as "did you see Ron Paul on CNN?" When they say no, that gives you chance to talk about Ron Paul and how he is our only hope.

Be careful with the sheeple because they usually want to run away from their problems. If you scare them, they will want to leave very quickly and get back to their "safe zone."

Sheeple are VERY hard to deal with, so good luck to you, your gonna need it.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
In all honesty, I love propane for a short term solution, but for a long term solution they are both terrible. The reasons are this, in most "survival" situations what are the first things that every person thinks about? Their gasoline, diesel, fuel supply (propane included) and their food/water supply. That means that unless you store them in bulk and use them at least 6 times a year (at least keep everything working) the fuel cost alone during any kind of event will more than double (at least!) same with food and water. I store both propane and kerosene for the same reasons we all do, but I also store alcohol, and potable alcohol, both have a much lower btu rate than fossil fuels, and pure alcohol stores just as long, if not longer, but devices built for alcohol can run off corn, and a still (both can be made and grown by you, and require nothing more than a little knowledge. I have small stoves designed already that put out 8,000 btus or greater, a small heater that will heat about 24ftx24ft and many more projects on the "burner" (pun intended). I give you this information not to sway your opiniion of propane or kerosene, but to add to that alcohol fuel, and independance from the network of things that most sheeple will gobble up in the first few days.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Survival Helper,
I recently bought one of those Swiss wood alcohol burning mess kits. I burned kerosene in it first before I figured out what its really supposed to burn. I site told me to use Heet, the same stuff you put into your gas tank to take care of any water in it. Pretty funny. How did you make your small heater that does the 8,000btu's?
Thanks
Patrick

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
WalkingDead, I will have some good video on this site within a few days of this heater. I expect a little traffic from it (it costs about 5 dollars to build) and fuel is super cheap.... I will post the video here also, so you can check it out. Heet is one of the best, but there are cheaper options available that I discuss in the video, lets put it in perspective quickly, I just bought 4 bottles of Heet and it cost $4.38 for 48 ounces, the source I give to purchase fuel is less than that for a gallon, sometimes it goes up, but not like gasoline or diesel:)

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Mr. Heater makes some great stuff, I have the double burner garage and space heater that mounts on the top of a 20 Lb. tank. Super for heating up the garage on those cold winter days...its definately an "outdoor only" unit. I had a kerosine unit for a while and agree with smell factor.
If it were not for the fact that I burn wood I'd probably take a hard look at the Mr. heater big buddy unit for a back up heat source.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts