Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Road Trip!!!
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching for a propane generator for a while now.

I almost talked myself into a converted Honda 1000w for $1200 because of the reliablilty and fuel effiency.

Now I am thinking that for the cost of a Honda I could get two cheaper plus buy alot of propane.

Im not looking to power much right now. Maybe deep freeze and my pellet stove. I was looking at powering my well pump but I think I have moved beyond that and looking at something smaller.

I'm looking at these two right now

http://www.homedepot.com/ETQ/h_d1/N...-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053#BVRRWidgetID

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

ETQs AD states "ETQ sine power delivers clean electricity so you can provide smooth power to even the most sensitive electronics". Does this gen offer anything different than any other cheap China gen?

Thanks!
BIH

·
Registered
33,304 Posts

I almost talked myself into a converted Honda 1000w for $1200 because of the reliablilty and fuel effiency.

Now I am thinking that for the cost of a Honda I could get two cheaper plus buy alot of propane.

Im not looking to power much right now. Maybe deep freeze and my pellet stove. I was looking at powering my well pump but I think I have moved beyond that and looking at something smaller.

http://www.homedepot.com/ETQ/h_d1/N...-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053#BVRRWidgetID

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

ETQs AD states "ETQ sine power delivers clean electricity so you can provide smooth power to even the most sensitive electronics". Does this gen offer anything different than any other cheap China gen?

Thanks!
BIH
I didn't even know Home Depot sold a propane generator, I wouldn't mind one if it came in 6000 plus watts.

The little one that has 2000 watts would be great for small needs, nice to have a 1000 plus gallon LP tank to go along with that.:thumb:

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Personally, I'd be looking for a diesel type generator. The fuel would be allot easier to come by and or the motor could be adaptable to some home brew type fuels.

·
Road Trip!!!
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally, I'd be looking for a diesel type generator. The fuel would be allot easier to come by and or the motor could be adaptable to some home brew type fuels.
I've been purchasing and filling the 20# tanks every time Menards has them on sale for 15$. Also, I heat my water and have a propane furnace which is supplied by a large tank. Seems everything I own is powered by propane.

BIH

·
I'm keeping my eye on you
2,204 Posts
I purchased a gasoline fueled generator years ago and converted it to dual fuel gasoline/propane. I store both fuels and can alternate or use the one I have to most of or availability to get.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My ETQ 3000 Watt Propane Portable Generator was delivered today. Ordered last week thru Sams Club for 385 + Tax + Shipping = appx 480. Shipped Thursday and was delivered today by FEDEX ground. I'll fire it up this weekend. It does not come with a wheel kit, must be ordered seperately.

The manual indicates that a surge protector should be used. Not required but reccomended is a UPS when connecting to sensitive electronics.

I've got a couple of propane tanks but would love to find more at a reasonable price. Locally , Lowes, HD and Walmart are approximately 32 each. I wish we had a menards.

·
Road Trip!!!
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My ETQ 3000 Watt Propane Portable Generator was delivered today. Ordered last week thru Sams Club for 385 + Tax + Shipping = appx 480. Shipped Thursday and was delivered today by FEDEX ground. I'll fire it up this weekend. It does not come with a wheel kit, must be ordered seperately.

The manual indicates that a surge protector should be used. Not required but reccomended is a UPS when connecting to sensitive electronics.

I've got a couple of propane tanks but would love to find more at a reasonable price. Locally , Lowes, HD and Walmart are approximately 32 each. I wish we had a menards.
So do you have any idea what makes this generators power cleaner than any other Chinese gen set or is a marketing thing?

Thanks!
BIH

·
Registered
8 Posts
What about wood gasification? I now have all the parts to build my own it will be a spring project. Bought a wenco 10kw gen with a 2 cyl wisconson motor (nat gas) for $350 in good condition off ebay. I am building the gasifier similar to the one on this site.
http://www.gekgasifier.com/
Wood will be available even when you can't get gas or propane.

·
Aint life grand
621 Posts
I picked up a Honda 6500 inverter, tri-power generator about four years ago. I've never used it yet. It's my tertiary power supply. I think I went a little overboard with the electricity producing gizmos.

I'm even looking at a PTO genny for my tractor. Wouldn't hurt to have four ways to produce power.

·
Road Trip!!!
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, I'm back to wanting to run my well so now I am down to these two generators

This one
http://www.homedepot.com/ETQ/h_d1/N...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

claims clean power so it might be ok for my pellet stove.

OR

This one
http://www.generatordepot.us/gentron-pro2-3500p-propane-generator.aspx

which has 240V so I could run my well but maybe not clean power for my pellet stove.

Question is: Whats the difference with the ETQ and clean sine power? Or will these two be the same in regards to sensitive equip and its just marketing by ETQ?

Thanks
BIH

·
Registered
22 Posts
Due to the disaster in Japan, anything made there is going to be in short supply for the next year or so, maybe longer. If you're considering buying a Honda generator, now would be the time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My ETQ 3000 Watt Propane Portable Generator was delivered last week. On Saturday, I unpacked it, added oil and hooked it up to the propane tank. Pressed the prime for 2 seconds, and it started on the second pull. I was impressed. Adusted the choke to smooth it, and then hooked it up to a freezer and then added an air compressor. It handled both loads fine. Now I just need to accumulate some additional propane tanks.

·
Road Trip!!!
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My ETQ 3000 Watt Propane Portable Generator was delivered last week. On Saturday, I unpacked it, added oil and hooked it up to the propane tank. Pressed the prime for 2 seconds, and it started on the second pull. I was impressed. Adusted the choke to smooth it, and then hooked it up to a freezer and then added an air compressor. It handled both loads fine. Now I just need to accumulate some additional propane tanks.

I'm probably going with the ETQ. The reviews are consistantly good on it. I will have to decide if I want to run my pellets stove with it.

I would like to someday install a manual pump for water.

Thanks
BIH

·
Gitter Done!
2,864 Posts

Thanks!
BIH
Goodness, propane? Where can you buy propane when SHTF?

I would go with either diesel or gasoline generator, two reasons:

You make your own biofuel or ethanol to run your generator with when SHTF.

Propane lines break during earthquakes, gas leaks, fires, explosions are all a concern with using propane.

Gas generators only require gas be put in them and you run a power line to the house. Junk cars parked or abandoned can be siphoned of the gas and used in the Generator. Ethanol is not hard to make and you can make a solar ethanol still pretty easily. Plans are online.

A good book that talks about all types of Ethanol, the alcohol content, how to build a ethanol still, how to do it safely and with alternative methods or use even what plants that grow around you for fuel are essential for keeping power going to your home.
Book is called:
Alcohol can used as a gas.
By David Blume

Or look online for Free Ebooks on how to make your own Ethanol, or find the ebook Alcohol can be a gas or its probably on a torrent site for free.

Wood gas can also run generators, many youtube videos show easy ways to make wood gas (burning wood, grass or anything carbon) and filtering it to make a gas with to run motors. Also shows trucks and cars being run off wood gas on youtube. Plans are online. Also called GEK.

Worth researching a few hours before just going out and buying a propane generator.

·
Road Trip!!!
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Goodness, propane? Where can you buy propane when SHTF?

I would go with either diesel or gasoline generator, two reasons:

You make your own biofuel or ethanol to run your generator with when SHTF.

Propane lines break during earthquakes, gas leaks, fires, explosions are all a concern with using propane.

Gas generators only require gas be put in them and you run a power line to the house. Junk cars parked or abandoned can be siphoned of the gas and used in the Generator. Ethanol is not hard to make and you can make a solar ethanol still pretty easily. Plans are online.

A good book that talks about all types of Ethanol, the alcohol content, how to build a ethanol still, how to do it safely and with alternative methods or use even what plants that grow around you for fuel are essential for keeping power going to your home.
Book is called:
Alcohol can used as a gas.
By David Blume

Or look online for Free Ebooks on how to make your own Ethanol, or find the ebook Alcohol can be a gas or its probably on a torrent site for free.

Wood gas can also run generators, many youtube videos show easy ways to make wood gas (burning wood, grass or anything carbon) and filtering it to make a gas with to run motors. Also shows trucks and cars being run off wood gas on youtube. Plans are online. Also called GEK.

Worth researching a few hours before just going out and buying a propane generator.

I have more thumbs than a 10 armed hitchhiker. Some days I have issues making a grilled cheese sandwich so I'd have a better chance of becoming king of the new world than making biofuel post SHTF. God Help me for sure because I will need it.

Thanks
BIH

·
Gitter Done!
2,864 Posts
That is where barter and trade come in handy. If you can't make something and someone else can, you barter/trade with them for ethanol.

Check out those ethanol or GEK forums and find people in your area that make it and then work things out with them to barter with them for fuel for your generator. If you can't then at least you tried and perhaps you can interest some other young fella into making it so he can be the main source to get your ethanol from. Those who work together, plan together and prepare together will have it a lot easier than those who don't.

Start a community survival outfit in your area. While there is still time to prepare, those things that others have skills in can take up the slack of the things you cannot do. You can also buy a premade ethanol still online for $150 bucks and it comes with simple instructions how to use it.

It is about how determined you are to survive.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts

Thanks!
BIH
I did not see what brand engines they have. If they are a good brand engine they would have said.

·
Registered
11,673 Posts
Propane is stable, stores virtually indefinitely and costs for propane per hour runtime is less than diesel or gas currently. That 3500 W ETQ will run at about 1.5 lb propane per hour at 50% load, that equates to about $36 per day at my current propane prices ($17.00 for 17 lbs), I have eight 20 lb tanks (17 lbs propane per tank) which equates to almost 4 days of runtime. Equate that to an eqiovalent 3500 W gas generator burning 12 G of gas in 24 hours at 50% load which equates to about $42.00 at $3.50 per/G.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts