Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Road Trip!!!
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 500# propane tank that I keep filled. If SHTF what options do I have to access this fuel safely? Can it be transferred to 100# or 20# tanks? What appliances can be used directly on the 500#tank if any? Grills? Propane heaters? Which ones require regulators? It would be a shame for all that fuel sitting in my yard and not know how to access it safely. (of course, the more desperate one becomes the more risk they are willing to assume) Right now it supplies fuel to my furnace and water heater. Mind you...I only am interested in doing this in a long term SHTF scenario.

Thanks
BIH

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a 500gallon propane tank which is used with the water heater, furnace, and oven.

Eventually I want a couple solar panels and a wind generator to become independent of the electrical grid. When that time comes I'd like to switch over to all electric appliances so I won't have to rely on propane.

·
Set Free
1,352 Posts
I've got a 500gallon propane tank which is used with the water heater, furnace, and oven.

Eventually I want a couple solar panels and a wind generator to become independent of the electrical grid. When that time comes I'd like to switch over to all electric appliances so I won't have to rely on propane.
You will need more than a couple of sloar panels or a pretty large wind turbine to become independent of how we live today. But after shtf time it may be very beneficial.

What part of the country do you guys live? In Wisconsin its pretty cold and I use 800 to 1000 gal a year and have a 1000 gal tank so I dont have to refill in the middle of winter when the prices are high. I would like to have another 1000 gal tank and a propane generator along with solar and wind then I could go off grid.

·
Forum Administrator
16,845 Posts
I have a 500# propane tank that I keep filled. If SHTF what options do I have to access this fuel safely?
I think your asking the wrong question - all of this should be setup now, not after the fact.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Yep! You need to go down to your local supply joint and talk to them about your tank if you have any issues or if you simply want to learn how. They will certainly have a line on where to get the equipment. It's not complicated; pressure unit, seals and adaptors. The method to transfer propane to tanks and bottles is pretty routine but it has to be done properly to be safe.

I have several 175 lb tanks and the forklift I use has a little 15 gallon job as well.

·
Beginner's Mind
1,681 Posts
I have a 500# propane tank that I keep filled. If SHTF what options do I have to access this fuel safely? Can it be transferred to 100# or 20# tanks? What appliances can be used directly on the 500#tank if any? Grills? Propane heaters? Which ones require regulators? It would be a shame for all that fuel sitting in my yard and not know how to access it safely. (of course, the more desperate one becomes the more risk they are willing to assume) Right now it supplies fuel to my furnace and water heater. Mind you...I only am interested in doing this in a long term SHTF scenario.

Thanks
BIH
If you're currently using it for your hot water heater, it probably already has a regulator on it. Getting liquid propane from a large tank to a smaller one requires a special valve which is connected to a pipe that goes to the bottom of the tank. A valve that takes from the top, only takes off the gas.

If, indeed, your tank is already regulated, you're good to go and only need to T into the line to use other propane related appliances. Not a difficult job.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
You can get proper filling equipment for your propane tank that will let you refill 1 lb or 20 lb or other small tanks. Filling involves not just putting in the liquid propane, but bleeding off the vapor and air as it fills.
Get with your local propane supplier and ask about getting the filling valves, etc. and also consider getting a bigger tank, say 750 or 1000 gal. or even more. Great thing about propane is it don't "rot" like gasoline, diesel, etc. so you can store it forever, and use it when you need it, refill when it's cheapest.
A big propane tank, with a small solar/wind combination power set up, will power much of your homstead. You can run heaters, stoves, water heaters, generators, and refrigerators and freezers on propane, limiting electrical needs to just lights and pumps on the well, and heater fan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts