Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 500 gallon (huge!) propane tank. We are considering running a line that would lead to a small tank, like the one used in gas grills. With that small tank, we can use it for a propran generator for the deep freeze.
At least, I think that is how it works.

We have a regular gas generator that we use when the power goes off during hurricane season. Because of the fumes/smell, we place it outside. It is very loud.

Is the same true for a propane generator? If so, I think the noise would be a magnet when the SHTF for people to know who has power and "stuff".

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
You would have to place any fuel (propane, gasoline, diesel etc) outside as the exhaust fumes will kill you. A Propane generator will be somewhat quieter than a gasoline generator but will still be noisy. Propane fueled generators are not terribly efficient either, that home depot unit will burn a 20lb tank in 5hrs at full 2000 watt load, 10hrs on 50% load...still not very long on a 20lb tank.

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
Ususally propane is more effecient , but running a generator to max capacity is not effecient any way .
Think of it this way , driving your car , at idle you use very little , when you excellerate your use is bringing all that iron from 0 to speed takes a significant gulp, now running on the flat it is sipping it along steadally, now you approach a hill ,to maintain speed you must give it more throttle to maintain speed . you hit a head wind you excelerate to keep up the speed.
No load at all, the generator is sipping gas ,every appliance that creates a demand and opens the throttle all the more.
The govener is on a spring and fly weights to maintain speed what ever the load is .
It is designed to run at a spicific speed, to maintain 60 cycles per muinet of electrical current .
That is what your AC electric motors are run on, as well as other cycle sensitive electronics. i.e. refrigerators ,fans, ect .
A lot of people enclose their generators to hide them , but if the cooling air is restricted, it can over heat the unit and age it prematurly.
Personally I am on a battery system, 6 &12 volt . with solar panels . In times past I used my briggs /alternator to charge the battery bank. Most of my lighting is LED floresent and quartz.
This current house I live in is still on the grid , but once I get the gas refrigerator in place , my current electric bill will go from $21. to about nothing .
I have AC generators and welders ,but they are only run for special applications for my tools if necessary . I have added an extra muffler to the diesel gen, but it is still noisey.
But one thing I have in place though If I am running a generator for any reason , it is making a controbution to the battery bank at the same time as well ,even if it is a lite one , making every thing count .
Usually the propane run generators run cleaner,I am told , providing them to run longer in terms of the life span of the unit . If some day you wanted to It could be converted back to gasoline by installing a carburator for liquid gas , it is the only real difference mechanically.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Actually, I believe you are incorrect in your first statement. The efficiency actually increases in a gasoline engine as the % percent load increases. The total volume of fuel increases. So when you are running at low loads, the fuel draw is low, but the efficiency is low.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
To fill the 20# bottle from the 500 gal. tank you need a "wet leg" on your large tank. The line running from a large tank usually has a regulator, either a single stage or 2 stage to reduce the pressure. That is a vapor line. To fill the small tank, you need to fill it with liquid.
You could consider a rock crib to quiet the exaust.

·
Registered
33,835 Posts
I just don't believe any type of generator should be considered in a long-term shtf situation, none of us could store enough gas, diesel or propane to make a difference past a few weeks. Even at 10-15 lbs a day in propane, a 500-1000 gallon tank would soon be exhausted.

I do have (2) gas powered generators and store 80-90 gallons of gas (rotated) I only see those resources for power outages, ice storms etc.

The only reasonable long-term cure would be solar, also with serious consideration on learning how to live without electricty all together.

·
Banned
1,016 Posts
I just don't believe any type of generator should be considered in a long-term shtf situation, none of us could store enough gas, diesel or propane to make a difference past a few weeks. Even at 10-15 lbs a day in propane, a 500-1000 gallon tank would soon be exhausted.

I do have (2) gas powered generators and store 80-90 gallons of gas (rotated) I only see those resources for power outages, ice storms etc.

The only reasonable long-term cure would be solar, also with serious consideration on learning how to live without electricty all together.
this right here.

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
I completely agree about the generators. This is why I only have a small one to run my fridge and freezer during a hurricane. It will be useless to me after I run out of fuel.

·
Procrastinate Now
1,462 Posts
during the latest hurricanes there were a lot of problems with people stealing generators. Criminals would start a lawn mower near-by then turn off the generator. The owners would not realize that then generators were gone because the sound was still there.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
during the latest hurricanes there were a lot of problems with people stealing generators. Criminals would start a lawn mower near-by then turn off the generator. The owners would not realize that then generators were gone because the sound was still there.
Wouldn't the owners have noticed their X-box and big screen TV going dark? :confused:

·
This site sucks
1,980 Posts
That's what I always thought. If they unplugged mine everything would go off and I would say, hmmm. I even heard my neighbors go quiet one night and ran out to find her son refueling it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts