Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Ham Extra Class
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proof that Propane last a long time !!!!!!! (Pics)

While looking thru my moms out building, I found the old propane jugs that my mom had bought for my dad back in 1988 (Before his death) along with the propane grill that he never used. I noticed that the jugs were even still full when I lifted them, so I took them home hooked them up to my burner and the propane lite up like a champ. This is 23 year old propane, still going strong.
It may be just me, but the propane before I lite it up smelled stronger than the propane I get now at the store. But that may be my imagination.
The tanks are a little rusted however they work just fine for my old turkey cooker, I guess when they run out of fuel I will toss them if I can't get Blue Rhino to take them on trade. They have the old star valve and not the new OPD valve.
I guess this is proof that propane is the ultimate survival fuel for long term.

Notice the inspection date (in this case when it was made)

Notice the inspection date (in this case when it was made)

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
I have several 100 pound tanks filled in 1998 for Y2K to run a propane generator...all still good as new. I have several of those little green propane bottles from the early 1990s , all still good as new. This is precisely why I chose to use propane for all my generators, it burns cleaner so the engine lasts longer as well. TP

·
Banned
214 Posts
I have several 100 pound tanks filled in 1998 for Y2K to run a propane generator...all still good as new. I have several of those little green propane bottles from the early 1990s , all still good as new. This is precisely why I chose to use propane for all my generators, it burns cleaner so the engine lasts longer as well. TP
Y2K eh?

Lol

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Propane Will Last A Very Long Time Indeed

Excellent answers already given. The smell you were smelling was the smell of the smelly added automotive lub oil settling to the bottom of the old full tank then being picked up and burnt with the propane.

For the $rich$, a neat expensive Stainless Steel underground propane tank will keep propane just fine for a very long time. Probably hundreds of years. The oil will settle to the bottom, but who really cares. HB of CJ (old coot)

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
the propane is not the problem. The tanks have a life expectancy of about 12 years. I would not try to refill those old tanks. For one thing the dealer will not refill them. Too dangerous. there is a date of production stamped on each bottle. If you are past 12 years they will not fill them.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,616 Posts
One of the reasons that propane lasts so long is that it isn't exposed to air, which of course has moisture and O2. O2 causes oxidation of fuel just like it does of metal, food, and anything else it touches. You can get bladders for fuel that ride the top of the fuel and never have any headspace for air. This preserves the fuel a lot longer.

To me, diesel is the top fuel for long term storage. Properly preserved and stored, it'll lasts plenty long enough. And it contains a lot more energy per gallon, plus the engines that use it are more efficient, more durable and longer lasting, as well as being simpler mechanically.

This country should have made the switch to diesel instead of gasoline decades ago. We'd have a lot less problems right now if we had.

·
Registered
54 Posts
LP is good stuff. We run our rural home on it: Water heater, furnace, dryer, cookstove. We've got a 500gal tank of it. I'd like to get more!

What's funny about Y2K?

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
Not surprised here. Besides the fact that there seems little that would/could contaminate unless the vessel was compromised, I can't think of any reason propane would degrade - but then I don't know much about it.

I have used "white" gas for camp stoves/etc. that has been around for over a decade and still worked fine - it appeared fine too.

Automotive gasoline too. I've let gas sit in lawn mowers and motorcycles for years and they still started up fine. Probably some degradation and some loss of power if you measured it, but not noticeable to me - indeed, I've had more problems with some gas right out of the pump. Same thing with diesel.

If you start off with good quality fuel, with no or small amounts of contaminants, store it right, then it should keep well enough for at least a couple of years to employ it for normal usage.

I've heard some people say that the gasoline you get today is useless after 6 months, but that hasn't been my experience at all.

·
Not what I appear to be
2,174 Posts
After you use up the LP, send the tanks to me. Just because they have a little surface rust on them doesn't mean they cannot be refilled. They will have to have the valve changed out to an OPD type because they are the smaller tanks. A propane dealer will preasure test them before filling, but as long as they test OK, they need the valve changed and they can be filled.

If you want them to look pretty, you could either sand the rusted area, or use a rust neutralizer, such as Benjamin Moore M80 rust pretreat and then paint them.
I bought a couple 25# tanks at a yard sale last month, $10 each and one was still full. The other had about 3/4 full. I will have to get OPDs for both, but after I use the gas.

·
Ham Extra Class
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the propane is not the problem. The tanks have a life expectancy of about 12 years. I would not try to refill those old tanks. For one thing the dealer will not refill them. Too dangerous. there is a date of production stamped on each bottle. If you are past 12 years they will not fill them.
The tanks will last well past a life time if properly cared for. The tanks just have to be tested every 12 years by law. If the tank fails a hydro test then it is disposed of. A hydro test is where the tank is pressurized with water while it is submerged in water, and if it ruptures it hurts no one, the tank just spilts and not explodeds. After the tank passes the test, a new date is stamped in the collar of the tank and the old date is ground off. But you are correct if the date of the last testing is past 12 years the propane dealer should not fill it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts