Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought and shot 3 of the 42 round polymer magazines. I've never had a problem with them, but I am not seeing them at gun shows.

Any ideas about this? Thanks

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Thoughts???

If you bought them for Spray and Pray at the range, great.

In firefights I always wanted to become one with Terra Ferma, so I loved 20 round mags for general patroling. Defending fixed positions, 30 round mags worked for me.

Jungle Work

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
Thoughts???

If you bought them for Spray and Pray at the range, great.

In firefights I always wanted to become one with Terra Ferma, so I loved 20 round mags for general patroling. Defending fixed positions, 30 round mags worked for me.

Jungle Work
This is the way I feel too. I even have 20s for my AK platforms.

I feel the same way about lever guns. Try a lever gun from the prone and then, think about how it would be while you are being shot at. Here is the catch, do it while maintaining sight picture.:D:

Al

Reactions: Jungle Work

·
Registered
839 Posts
I recieved two promag 14rd mags for my Ruger LCP and have had no issues with them. So I bought a few for my AR. Big mistake. Ended up stripping the mags and throwing the body and floor plate in the recycle bin.

·
The Time Is Now
6,398 Posts
The reason you probably are not seeing them around is because dealers are getting wise and not stocking them because all of the returns and what not.

I have not seen one promag that I would trust my life with. I honestly don't know how they stay in business. I guess they are one of them companies that stay in business because of first time buyers, never second time. They are also ALWAYS in the discount bin at the LGS.

I agree with the sentiment of eating dirt when in contact with the "enemy" or whatever you call them. You can always tell that a guy has seen the SHTF when they are practicing getting low and one with the mud. On the other hand, you can always pick out the ones that are just standing there chicken winging it. They will be the first ones down if they don't learn how to get down. Learning how to operate your weapon when you are on your belly is one of the most important and under utilized skills there is.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
The reason you probably are not seeing them around is because dealers are getting wise and not stocking them because all of the returns and what not.

I have not seen one promag that I would trust my life with. I honestly don't know how they stay in business. I guess they are one of them companies that stay in business because of first time buyers, never second time. They are also ALWAYS in the discount bin at the LGS.

I agree with the sentiment of eating dirt when in contact with the "enemy" or whatever you call them. You can always tell that a guy has seen the SHTF when they are practicing getting low and one with the mud. On the other hand, you can always pick out the ones that are just standing there chicken winging it. They will be the first ones down if they don't learn how to get down. Learning how to operate your weapon when you are on your belly is one of the most important and under utilized skills there is.
because most gun buyers don't shoot their guns.

The rest mostly shoot <200 rounds/year.

If you've been to one shooting class your in less than 1% of gunowners.
If your a "gamer"... I haven't seen any stats on that, but I'm sure it's similar.

As for going prone:
It's not a bad thing to have one "REAL" high cap mag in the gun.
In case you can only grab the gun.
Or a break contact action.
There's this GIANT PAUSE WHEN EVERYONE (on both sides) GOES DRY at the SAME TIME!
Except the guys with the 249's
Or (for civilians) 40 round mags, 75 round drums etc.

You don't want a drum (makes noise) on foot patrolls.
So: I have a few 40 rounders (also have 20 round AK and AR mags....
Each have their uses.

·
The Time Is Now
6,398 Posts
because most gun buyers don't shoot their guns.

The rest mostly shoot <200 rounds/year.

If you've been to one shooting class your in less than 1% of gunowners.
If your a "gamer"... I haven't seen any stats on that, but I'm sure it's similar.

As for going prone:
It's not a bad thing to have one "REAL" high cap mag in the gun.
In case you can only grab the gun.
Or a break contact action.
There's this GIANT PAUSE WHEN EVERYONE (on both sides) GOES DRY at the SAME TIME!
Except the guys with the 249's
Or (for civilians) 40 round mags, 75 round drums etc.

You don't want a drum (makes noise) on foot patrolls.
So: I have a few 40 rounders (also have 20 round AK and AR mags....
Each have their uses.
I agree. Whole heartadly.

In my kit I keep six thirty round mags in my chest rig, and one twenty round in my weapon while patrolling. The ability to get low with the twenty is very beneficial.

I've been thinking about changing out the thirty rounders to fourty rounders, because if I have to go to my chest rig for mags that means I've already blown thru twenty rounds and chances are ten more rounds per mag would be beneficial. By going to the forty rounders that gives me basically two more thirty round mag in the same space. I wonder if the pmag40 fits in the regular mag holders?

I pray that I never have to use all my mags though because if I find myself going through mags like that something is very wrong. Mostly because I would break contact instead of engaging, if I can. A lot of folks think that in a gun fight they have a good chance of living. The real world is that if you find your self in a pitched gun fight with rifles chances are you are going to get tagged. A lot of folks think that concealment is cover. Most of the time, atleast in my experience, there isn't a lot of real cover around at any given moment. For example, a lot of folks think cars are cover. Well, I hope they never have to find out.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I agree. Whole heartadly.

In my kit I keep six thirty round mags in my chest rig, and one twenty round in my weapon while patrolling. The ability to get low with the twenty is very beneficial.

I've been thinking about changing out the thirty rounders to fourty rounders, because if I have to go to my chest rig for mags that means I've already blown thru twenty rounds and chances are ten more rounds per mag would be beneficial. By going to the forty rounders that gives me basically two more thirty round mag in the same space. I wonder if the pmag40 fits in the regular mag holders?

I pray that I never have to use all my mags though because if I find myself going through mags like that something is very wrong. Mostly because I would break contact instead of engaging, if I can. A lot of folks think that in a gun fight they have a good chance of living. The real world is that if you find your self in a pitched gun fight with rifles chances are you are going to get tagged. A lot of folks think that concealment is cover. Most of the time, atleast in my experience, there isn't a lot of real cover around at any given moment. For example, a lot of folks think cars are cover. Well, I hope they never have to find out.
Cars have cover....

It's about 2 foot square and requires you to hover about 18" off the ground.... But it's cover! ;)

I'd leave off the 40's because as you mentioned... They mostly won't fit.

One in the gun though....

You live in a gunfight if you overwhelm the enemy with volume of fire to keep them from shooting you untill you can either:
Run away
Or flank and kill them.

Either way, I look at each 30 round mag as about 90 seconds of living in a gunfight.
Do what you will.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
promag vs pmag

I have bought and shot 3 of the 42 round polymer magazines. I've never had a problem with them, but I am not seeing them at gun shows.

Any ideas about this? Thanks
Maybe because there are better magazines out there at around the same price point?

Looks like a 42 round promag cost around $18 - $25? The cheapest price I saw was somewhere around $15?

40 round pmag cost $18.95 at sg ammo.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/surpl...6mm-ar15-generation-3-p-mag-magpul-mag233-blk

Go ahead and spend the extra $3, get a pmag and buy with confidence.

With the price of pmags, troy battlemags, lancer, D&H and NHMTG at all time lows, I see no reason to buy anything else.

·
Marine Veteran
240 Posts
I bought a 42 round Promag during the "panic". I wanted as many flat dark earth magazines as I could find to match the furniture of my newest rifle. I over paid for this magazine.

Unfortunately for me, the Magpuls FDE and Promags FDE don't match at all.

Performance wise though, so far the magazine has worked fine. But because of Promags poor reputation, I wouldn't buy another one, especially since Magpul 40 rounders are reasonably priced.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts