Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sis vis pacem para bellum
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hydraulic paper cutter in my business and two of the blades have been ground down so far that they dont work anymore. These are about 30 inches long and 3.5 to 4 inches wide. The edge is simply an assymetric bevel.
Even when dulled by the paper they are extremely sharp and heavy.

What would you make out of them and how?

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yeah, that's probably pretty heavy? I'd give it a convex grind, and give it a handle large enough for two hands... super machete.

If you have the tools available you could also make a series of knives from that, have it it cut into a series of knife blanks. You'd pretty much have to have access to a machine shop though.

·
Sis vis pacem para bellum
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah they are pretty heavy. I have handled these things all my life and have always been terrified of one of them slipping. They are heavy enough and sharp enough to take off a limb.

All good suggestions though! I am thinking they would need to be made smaller to be useful. I actually have two of them.

·
Nihil Obstat
94 Posts
Id get most of the holes welded up apart from 4 to secure a handle,then id make a chopper,machete type blade.

A heavy duty chopper.:thumb:
Did just that, I have two blades just like that , one I have made into a one hand machete that is a real badboy, the other is still intact for future projects

I dont know the steel , but it has to be special in a way because they cut a LOT of paper before they are too dull for the machine , when that happens they will still shave fore-arms (prolly cut them off too if desired :upsidedown:)

DD

·
Registered
19 Posts
Search woodsman pal. It is a multi-functioning machete, that is very efficient. It clears brush, prunes branches/sappling, cuts fire wood, all very well. The added thickness of these paper shears would add to the heft, and I think that is a good thing for a tool like this. You could throw a survival shelter together, cut fire wood, and complete other chores in record time with one of these.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts