Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
I've stopped eating most meats for the past couples of years, but I find this story a little over the top. He concludes that "Consumers should stop buying and eating all processed meat products for the rest of their lives." Come on, the rest of your life! Why can't they eliminate the chemicals and then 50 years from now it's OK?

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
Well, according to this research, I am obviously dead and have been for at least 30 years.

OTOH I do agree that some chemical substances are overused in the meat industry. Most notably antibiotics that are used as a preventative instead of as a "Cure". That just makes the "nasties" more resistant to antibiotics IMO.

As far as the nitrates being used, Anyone ever buy some hamburger meat that is red on the outside and it's a Reddish brown on the inside? Did it stop you from eating it? It didn't stop me. The point being that using that color preservative is kinda' pointless IMO.

·
Registered
610 Posts
pancreatic cancer is one of the worst ones to get. The survival rate on it is one of the lowest of all cancers. Basically, if you get it, you'll probably die from it within a few months.

It just sucks that it's borderline impossible in this day and age to eat real food, unless you grow it or raise it yourself. Everything else, science had their hand in and have ruined us.
I'm pretty sure no cavemen were diabetics...

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
pancreatic cancer is one of the worst ones to get. The survival rate on it is one of the lowest of all cancers. Basically, if you get it, you'll probably fie from it within a few months.

It just sucks that it's borderline impossible in this day and age to eat real food, unless you grow it or raise it yourself. Everything else, science had their hand in and have ruined us.
I have to agree, and yes....I agree with some of the points of the article in the OP.

I had a personal experience a couple years ago when my son went off to college, needless to say I wasn't cooking much and doing alot of the take out and 'nuke em' ready made meals and ended up with a case of diverticulitis and a small perforation in the colon.....personally that was a big enough 2x4 to smack me between the eyes to ease off of all that crap.:xeye:

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pancreatic cancer is one of the worst ones to get. The survival rate on it is one of the lowest of all cancers. Basically, if you get it, you'll probably fie from it within a few months.

My dad died from pancreatic cancer, only thing isis he lived another two years on British scientific medicine. It not only did nothing for him but extend his life for two more years, which sucked cause he was always suffering but it also sucked away thier life savings. My mom ended up dumping 120k worth of pills in the toilet. He was trying to do a good thing by being a ginny pig for them but ended up leaving my mom with nothing.

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
Seems noone believes this, but those are the same foods my doctor told me to stop eating because of my Crohn's disease.
No Doug, it's not that I personally don't believe you. I'm sure that not eating all those additives would help all of us. However we can't really force the food industries to stop using them. For instance If given the choice I wouldn't eat MOST of that crap IF I had an alternative. I also would not consume anything that used GM Veggies either. Yet they are allowed to leave out bits of information, and of the info available there are few, if any, alternative choices.

·
•--• • •- -•-• •
3,028 Posts
pancreatic cancer is one of the worst ones to get. The survival rate on it is one of the lowest of all cancers. Basically, if you get it, you'll probably die from it within a few months.

Growing and raising it yourself creates even more health issues. Salmonella, kicks in the head from animals, tractor accidents, animal waste issues, back problems - you name it. A human just can't catch a break :)

·
Premium Member
24,610 Posts
Google search-----> processed meats crohn's disease

Lot's of good info on processed meats and their negative affects on the digestive tract.
IBD, Crohn's and Colitis sufferers and told to avoid these foods. It's mostly red meats, not chicken, fish, or turkey.
It's the fat, not the sodium nitrate though. Red meat fats and intestinal issues are like oil and water.

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
hmmm.... If people started worrying about all the crap out there that can kill us off, most of us would have been dead a long time ago...

I cut back on balogna and my hot dogs mostly to keep the peace around here at home... I will keep right on eating spam and anything else i want in moderation though... and that includes my twinkies and doughnuts

1 - 20 of 51 Posts