Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

does anyone use BoreSnake?

yesterday I tried first time the BoreSnake from Hoppe's with my .30-06 bolt action rifle.

Instruction is clear: use the right caliber, don't add chemicals and use it from the rear to the muzzle by pulling through.

I inserted the cord from the end of the rifle. pulled the cord and the rope got stucked. I tried to pull as hard as possible - Hmm - there was a sling on the end of the BoreSnake (see here:
) - maybe the sling is too big - anyway the Boresnake is stucked - I tried to pull more as hard as possible and put my foot on the pistol grip - and I was able to get 2 inches more through the bore.

After 20 minutes of unsuccessfully pulling I finaly put the rope in a bench vise - and pulled with great strength on the stock - finaly I got the BS through - but I admit I was afraid that I diconnect the barrel from the stock.

What did I make wrong?

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
Maybe the wrong bore snake was put in the wrong package?

I've never had one get stuck - they should pull through with just one hand and not a whole lot of effort.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After cutting off the sling - it was easy to pull the the cord through - feels like pushing a pad with a rod through a barrel

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
look at the brass piece on the pull cord it should say the caliber I have never had the problem you are describing

·
I see a bad moon arising
1,267 Posts
All my boresnakes work flawlessly with the exception of a 50-caliber
one that I got for my black powder rifle. I've got a similar problem
that you describe, except in my case it's the brass brush that
appears to be over-sized, and jams up in the bore. Like you, I
finally resorted to locking the end of the boresnake in a vise
to finish pulling it through. Pretty spooky how tight it jammed
up in there. I was thinking for a while there that my new
rifle was toast.

Not that this solves your problem, or mine for that matter.

Never had a problem with the 30-caliber boresnakes.

Just checking, but is yours weave of green and white in color?
The boresnakes are color-coded, and green/white is the 30-caliber one.
If it's not that color, maybe you have an incorrect size that somehow
got mis-labled / mis-packaged?

·
I see a bad moon arising
1,267 Posts
look at the brass piece on the pull cord it should say the caliber I have never had the problem you are describing

?? I've read several sources that mention the brass piece being stamped
with the caliber. I just checked mine. .22, .357, 8mm, .50, .30. None
of them have a stamp. Do you know if the stamp is something they've
added recently? All my snakes are a few years old. (I always feel like
an idiot when people mention the brass being stamped, and I don't see
it on any of mine. :eek:: )

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
Do NOT run it dry...I like the Bore Snake...I use it on all the calibers...I put Break Free CLR on it and they work great...

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I've never used one. Are they a exaggerated take on the Otis system?
no a bore snake is different and i prefer them esp when in the field

·
BulletMaster
1,387 Posts

·
superdizi
78 Posts
my 12 ga boresnake is very hard to pull through after the brushes enter the chamber. i think its the wad at the end more than the brushes. i use a little hops 9 on the first brush area by pulling the snake into the chamber, then pouring a little down my barrel from the muzzle, then slowly pulling it through.

i tie it onto the banister and pull back on the gun to get it through.

my .22 boresnake is pretty easy to get through however.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Sometimes the boresnake gets caught up on parts of the guns action. Magazine followers, trigger sears for bolt action rifles, extractors on rimfire guns.

I use them too. They do not replace a good gun cleaning, but can touch up a lightly used barrel. Or are decent for guns that you can't clean from the breech end. I really do not like running a cleaing rod down the muzzle.

I like using the otis kit for these closed breech guns. Like the browning BLR and most makes of semi-auto 22lr rifles.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
A quick warning on Boresnakes. There isn't a gun website out there that doesn't have a current thread running about someone's Boresnake that broke off in the bore, rendering the gun unusable and requiring a huge effort to remove. Now, I don't know if these people were insisting on using worn out Boresnakes rather than just buying a new one. But when there are that many breaking off in bores, there is a problem. I stopped selling them for that reason. I would never use one in a crisis. The last thing you need is to break it off in the bore when you might need the gun for self defense shortly. Removing them is quite a challenge.

There are too many other good alternatives to take the risk in my opinion. Otis is an outstanding choice. Patchworm is awesome, dirt cheap, small enough to fit in your shirt pocket unnoticed and able to clean multiple calibers. There are a bunch of GI surplus pullthroughs on the market that don't break, etc.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts