Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this question, but I have a question about a motion sensor light I recently installed in my backyard.
My yard is opposite a school, and while safe, I don't like that it can be accessed by means other than through neighbors' yards. I installed a motion sensor light in the same way as the last standard light. The light seems to sense me when I am in range, but it also continually turns on and off without anything triggering it. The manual also said I could I could revert it to standard mode with a flick of the inside light switch, but that does not work.
Thank you for any help, or redirection to where I can get help.

·
Forum Administrator
16,845 Posts
Do you have any trees that could be moving with the wind to set off the light?

In addition to motion sensor lights, I recommend some solar powered lights

·
Registered
105 Posts
I installed motions in the four corner locations around the house. The back two have worked reliably for years. The other two are as capricious as my second wife... I think I may just have to buy a couple of replacements.

·
GO Dawgs
1,395 Posts
Most of the motion flood lights have a sensitivity switch on them that you can turn down,I usually set them about half way.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Also i find a flag or other things flapping around will trigger them.
Cars parked under them also seem to cause them to cycle when pointed at windshield.

·
Why is the Rum gone?
4,774 Posts
Most of the motion flood lights have a sensitivity switch on them that you can turn down,I usually set them about half way.
There it is...
I had a buddy that had a security light on a motion sensor.
A moth flying by would turn on the lights.
Crank down the sensitivity and that should solve the problem.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I just wired one up facing the sidewalk coming up to my back porch. Before that, someone had to be at the screen door before you could see them at night (with the porch light on). At first I had the sensitivity cranked up all the way and could get it to trigger a good 15-20 ft away by the corner of the house. But I quickly realized that it was getting set off almost any kind of movement, which is bad cuz we have walnut trees, tree rats, etc. This causes you to ignore them because of so many false alarms. So I turned it down to about half the sensitivity. Anyone coming up will be able to get closer, but there's still enough time from the trigger to get up and get in the house (tested that out). So you really have to figure out a good compromise on those or you end up ignoring them anyway.

·
Registered
134 Posts
In addition to motion sensor lights, I recommend some solar powered lights
How well do these really work? I have been debating getting a few because I do not want to have an electrician come in and spending a bunch of cash that may not have to be spent.

Thanks.

·
Fattie Ninja!
90 Posts
try to find the spot that causes the motion sensor to go on , then do the math and put a piece of tape over the detector ive done that a lot of times particualry when i need a very focused beam of IR detection , check for High power radio Transmitters nearby , sometimes when i key up my CB , i switch all the motion sensors a block away .

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,135 Posts
Even a breeze can trigger falses on some motion lights. The really expensive ones are pretty immune to falses, but the cheaper ones false a lot, especially in cold weather or in the wind. I made the mistake of putting $30 cheapies all over my house. Guess who gets to pay again and do the job right this time around? GRRRR :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts