Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, ok i just got a leatherman surge over the weak,every thing is working out great except the scissors,now they were working fine when i got them and then after i cut some tape the scissors blades were starting to stick to geather and slow down the cuting speed. now the blades arnt even coming up as i cut something,there is a little bar type of a thing so when you press on the blades it bounces into place now it just sticks,i've taken qtips and wiped down whith water and it gets better then after the water dryes it gets back to were it was. what do i do?:confused:

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
hey everyone, ok i just got a leatherman surge over the weak,every thing is working out great except the scissors,now they were working fine when i got them and then after i cut some tape the scissors blades were starting to stick to geather and slow down the cuting speed. now the blades arnt even coming up as i cut something,there is a little bar type of a thing so when you press on the blades it bounces into place now it just sticks,i've taken qtips and wiped down whith water and it gets better then after the water dryes it gets back to were it was. what do i do?:confused:
Clean them with alcohol as the glue on some tapes has acatone in it,water and washing up liquid will not get rid of this.:thumb:

To be honest i find multi tools to be a jack of all trades and master of none.:xeye:

I keep a small pair of scissors and a pair of pliers in my bob.

The pliers can withstand 2000volts.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Use wd 40 or q 20 oil or any one of the penetrating oils that come in a spray can, failing that a bit of gun oil or general purpose oil, work the mechanism and it should be fine but first get rid of the residue on the blades as Sticks says with a bit of alcohol or even nail varnish remover(if you carry any).

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Clean them with alcohol as the glue on some tapes has acatone in it,water and washing up liquid will not get rid of this.:thumb:

To be honest i find multi tools to be a jack of all trades and master of none.:xeye:

I keep a small pair of scissors and a pair of pliers in my bob.

The pliers can withstand 2000volts.
Fair enough your right. I didn't know for sure whether he had glue on them or not. I was just thinking warm soapy water and a scourer sponge should be able to shift any small residue.

what kind of oil because ive tryed olive oil before and it scrued everything up on my old multitool.
I would've thought a squirt of WD40 would do the job, I'm probably wrong though.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Don't use WD 40 since it is a Water Displacement formula. It turns to a shelac like substance after some time. Gun oil or Silicone treatment is good.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well so far i cleaned it whith dish soap,then i dryed it and it didnt do much. then i lightly dabed olive oil whith a qtip and it did the job. i didnt find any wd40 even though i swore i had sum. just the thing im worried about is that it sometimes turns into this black little goop and its hard to clean, but thats why i put a light coat of it and its doing the job so far.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
No doubt you have the adhesive from the tape stuck on the scissors. Take some "Goof Off", "OOPs" or other cleaner (turpentine or mineral spirits will also work as will nail polish remover) and soak it down good. Wipe with a soft cloth and then clean it again. After all the gunk is out of the way, wipe dry... As mentioned DO NOT use WD40, or if you insist be sure to use paint thinner or mineral spirits to clean the WD40 off the knife before you put it away...

Allan - BTDT

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well im hopeing this olive oil i put on LIGHTLY will not turn into goop,and i think i might try my wifes nail polish remover.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
well im hopeing this olive oil i put on LIGHTLY will not turn into goop,and i think i might try my wifes nail polish remover.
No offense, but what do you expect the olive oil to do? You're not trying to lubricate the unit, you're trying to remove the adhesive that's gumming up the works. I would be surpised if olive oil will do that as it's very viscose. You need a cleaner that will cut the gunk, something like paint thinner, mineral spirits, Goof Off, Mystery oil or perhaps kerosene.

Allan

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well its a good thing i put a light layer of it on there,now ill have to clean out the olive oil whith goo gone or something then ill put nail polish remover thhen oil it up whith gun oil.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Phew thank the Lord for that, this thread was becomming a bit too complicated for a bit of stickytape residue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts