Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Pot-stirring nest-poker!
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've finally finished a complete overhaul of our fencing on our farm. Who knew a simple t-post and hog wire fence could be so damned EXPENSIVE!

We've also upgraded all of our gates, including the fencing-in of our entire yard and have gated our driveway. Not even the cats can get out of our yard now! :thumb:

In short, there is absolutely ZERO access to our property without either climbing over a fence or opening a gate. Now we want to warn off any would-be trespassers or even those with "reason" to be there without anything short of a warrant or prior authorization from the property owners (us), which I believe will require some stoutly-worded, highly visible signage.

So, in that vein, how should a "PRIVATE PROPERTY" sign be worded? Are there any pre-made metal signs out there that go beyond the mundane "Private Property / No Trespassing" verbiage?

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
We've finally finished a complete overhaul of our fencing on our farm. Who knew a simple t-post and hog wire fence could be so damned EXPENSIVE!

We've also upgraded all of our gates, including the fencing-in of our entire yard and have gated our driveway. Not even the cats can get out of our yard now! :thumb:

In short, there is absolutely ZERO access to our property without either climbing over a fence or opening a gate. Now we want to warn off any would-be trespassers or even those with "reason" to be there without anything short of a warrant or prior authorization from the property owners (us), which I believe will require some stoutly-worded, highly visible signage.

So, in that vein, how should a "PRIVATE PROPERTY" sign be worded? Are there any pre-made metal signs out there that go beyond the mundane "Private Property / No Trespassing" verbiage?
I don't have any signs, the property is fenced which is good enough for us...

I think how signs should be worded and posted likely depends on your state, city or county, there are probably specific ordnances...

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Ask a lawyer practicing in your state, seriously. Wording of a sign can have huge implications and possibly added liabilities.

Here you just have to paint purple posts/trees so many yards apart and that is all you need. Check your local laws if you forgo the lawyer. KISS is usually the best way around here, cutsie sign sayings can do much more harm than good.

·
Pot-stirring nest-poker!
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ask a lawyer practicing in your state, seriously. Wording of a sign can have huge implications and possibly added liabilities.

Here you just have to paint purple posts/trees so many yards apart and that is all you need. Check your local laws if you forgo the lawyer. KISS is usually the best way around here, cutsie sign sayings can do much more harm than good.
I'm definitely not the type to put up a cute sign. I'm looking for exact verbiage that would essentially make anyone without our express permission -- or a warrant -- a criminal trespasser.

·
Pot-stirring nest-poker!
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alabama is a Castle / SYG state. We also have very protective, large-breed dogs, but they will not ATTACK a human -- though it may look like they will if they don't know you. In short, if you are not on the guest list and you choose to trespass, the possibility that you're up to no good is much higher than average.

That said, the last thing I would ever want to do I harm another human. You'd have to clearly be up to some pretty nefarious Shi'ite for me to even consider such a reaction.

·
Registered
162 Posts
"Tresspassers will be Violated!"

My place isn't fenced. There's no direct access to it other than my driveway. You either have to cross other neighbors properties, or come in through deep rough canyons that are public land.

I have signage at the entrance to my driveway. I've still had idiots come in from time to time; arguing that my driveway is a public road, or they have a right to come onto my place to access the adjoining public lands, or that they knew old Joe Blow who was here when they were a kid and it was OK with him.

I carry a gun most times when I'm out and about; that helps quiet down the noise level from the boneheads. I've had fewer problems over the years; not many people out here and word gets around.

·
Registered
162 Posts
When i asked LEO they said it must have name or owner, mailing address and phone number on the sign to be legal. We had ours made to include that and they are made of aluminum and reflective.

We used "ranch name" and PO Box along with phone number.
Not here. Our law is that it's up to you to know your whereabouts and whether or not you're trespassing.

Posting my place may help me keep the riffraff out, but even if it's not posted, trespassers can still be prosecuted.

·
Cave canem
5,391 Posts
There are a ton of signs just google. Know your state laws regarding what you can and can't post; for instance in some states posting "Beware of Dog" can get you into trouble for "having a known vicious animal" should the dog bite someone. Same applies to "Trespassers will be shot" signs in states that don't allow that (doesn't look good in front of a jury if you actually DO shoot someone outside your house).

I would go for something unusual that really gets people's attention like the one below for fencing, also for signs ON gates put it right next to the latch otherwise service people will ignore it (a lock is best).

http://www.safetysign.com/categories/s333/keep-out-signs

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
State laws vary.

Here painting posts or even trees om property lines with a purple strip 4 feet off the ground legally posts your property.

Fencing and gating legally posts your property.

But for your sign I'd say a large "No Trespassing" sign with another under it that says, "Yeah. That means YOU!" That should remove any doubts and excuses.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.