Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oh good lord! I started, yes it's late remember I live here

The garden will be located in this area

Yes it's brown and icky right now previous owners well lets not get into that shall we.

Trays in progress

Trays of onions in their new happy home while they do their thing

Trays of veggies and herbs doing their thing

That is not a travel coffee mug that is a new fangled watering device.

So yes today got a bunch of seeds and my onion starts in. I still have TWO more tables worth of veggies to do, and about 6 more flats of onion type things, and the potatoes gotta get a bit of eyes on them (they are shy didn't want to take a picture until they are in their pots) but a gal and her hubby can only do so much in an afternoon.

So, what actually got put in a pot today well:

Beans:
Navy
Kabouli Garbanzo
D. Red Kidney
Great Northern
Regular Garbanzo
Cannelini
Black Turtle
Peas:
Alderman
ArrowShell
Oregon Sugar Snap
Cascade Snap
Tom Thumb
Cow Peas:
6 week Purple Hull
Ozark Razor Back
Pole and Bush Beans:
Purple Green
Romano
Black Pencil
Blue Lake
Kentucky Wonder
Melon:
Golden Midget Watermelon
Hokkaido Black Watermelon
Cantaloupe (small one can't remember the name I'll update this later)
Honeydew

Tomatillo, Verde and Purple

Sunflowers

Garlic (had some volunteers so I stuck them in)

Luffa

Micro Tomatoes (they grow in pots but are real nice treats in the garden too)

Onions:
Red Baron
Stuttgarden

Whew, tomorrow I'm going to try and get peppers and tomatoes in.

·
Waiting...Watching..
2,235 Posts
Beans:
Navy
Kabouli Garbanzo
D. Red Kidney
Great Northern
Regular Garbanzo
Cannelini
Black Turtle
Peas:
Alderman
ArrowShell
Oregon Sugar Snap
Cascade Snap
Tom Thumb
Cow Peas:
6 week Purple Hull
Ozark Razor Back
Pole and Bush Beans:
Purple Green
Romano
Black Pencil
Blue Lake
Kentucky Wonder
Melon:
Golden Midget Watermelon
Hokkaido Black Watermelon
Cantaloupe (small one can't remember the name I'll update this later)
Honeydew

Tomatillo, Verde and Purple

Sunflowers

Garlic (had some volunteers so I stuck them in)

Luffa

Micro Tomatoes (they grow in pots but are real nice treats in the garden too)

Onions:
Red Baron
Stuttgarden
Sounds like the making of the worlds best omlette.
Cool garden, hope it all goes smoothly

·
Premium Member
24,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL Well, God willing it will grow, then what ever isn't eaten fresh will be dehydrated, canned or frozen. :D:

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
What is your maximum growing season up there?

I saw a lot of snow in Montana and that region today on radar.

What is the average calendar growing season? May/June through when?

·
Premium Member
24,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is your maximum growing season up there?

I saw a lot of snow in Montana and that region today on radar.

What is the average calendar growing season? May/June through when?
I'm in Zone 4, our last Frost date is May 15th our first Frost date is late Aug early Sept can't remember the day off the top of my head. Personally I look at the weather getting close to the end of season and will adjust beds accordingly.

One thing I am doing when I put in the beds is make them so that they can quickly and easily take a cold frame. So if a wild frost is going to come in, I can run out and give the plants some shelter.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
LOL Well, God willing it will grow, then what ever isn't eaten fresh will be dehydrated, canned or frozen. :D:
I'm with you Kraken, don't waste a bit of what we grow.

Don't forget air drying as well.

I am drying now 10 big bunches of Greek oregano and dried a large Zip-Loc bag of garlic chives last week.

The oregano I hanged from the rafter in my garage. It's been a week and it may be another week or two before it is ready to seal in something. The bunches are very dense with leaves. It's my first time doing this, so I don't know how long it will take.

The chives I dried by placing the chopped up pieces (about 1/2-inch long each) on a cooking splatter screen (about 14-inches in diameter) sitting atop a large metal colander to promote air flow. This was done in my kitchen. Ambient temperature about 70-72 degrees F. It took only 24 hours. Then I placed the chive bits in a used jam jar with a tight-fitting lid.

Be sure - for those who haven't done this before - keep your herbs out of the sun. They will dry more slowly and retain better colour, taste, aroma and texture this way. You can also hang herbs up inside your house, in a closet, etc.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
I'm in Zone 4, our last Frost date is May 15th our first Frost date is late Aug early Sept can't remember the day off the top of my head. Personally I look at the weather getting close to the end of season and will adjust beds accordingly.

One thing I am doing when I put in the beds is make them so that they can quickly and easily take a cold frame. So if a wild frost is going to come in, I can run out and give the plants some shelter.
The cold frame is an excellent idea. I'm planning to make one or more out of recycled wood home window sashes with the glass intact. They are often given away free here in north Georgia / Atlanta via Craigslist.

My dream is to have the land and space one day soon to have a large greenhouse so I can get an earlier start on spring planting, especially tomatoes. Lettuce through the winter, etc.

·
Premium Member
24,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The cold frame is an excellent idea. I'm planning to make one or more out of recycled wood home window sashes with the glass intact. They are often given away free here in north Georgia / Atlanta via Craigslist.

My dream is to have the land and space one day soon to have a large greenhouse so I can get an earlier start on spring planting, especially tomatoes. Lettuce through the winter, etc.
Next spring is when the green house is supposed to go up. Hopefully we'll be able to get it in and growing not just winter foods, but an aquaponic setup with fish as well.

·
Premium Member
24,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Got a bit more planted

Tomatoes:
Beef Steak
Yellow Pear
Green Zebra
Pink Stuffer
Amish Past
Red Pear
Heinz 2274

Peppers:
Purple Jalapeno *
Sweet Banana
Thai Hot *
Serrano *
Paprika
King of the North
Pimiento
Chinese 5 Color *
Mini Bell Mix (hybrid)
Sweet Cherry
Mini Bell Red
Ancho *
Hungarian Hot Wax *
Cubanelle
White Habanero *
Mini Bell Yellow

*Means it's a hot pepper :D:

Edamame

Squash:
Black and Grey Zucchini
Patty Golden Scalp
Small Sweet Pumpkin
Straight Neck Golden Summer
Early White Bush Scallop

Cucumber
Delikatesse
Mini White
Dragon's Egg
Wisconsin smf58

Rosa Bianca Eggplant

Lentils

Green Globe and Purple of Romagna Articoke

Romaesco Italia and Rapini Broccoli

Last but not least Rainbow Swiss Chard

Tray seems to look like trays :D:

BUT some tulips surprised us, I cleared out the weeds around them. When they die back I'm going to dig them up and move them to a better location

Excuse my foot! :D:

·
Premium Member
24,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I completely forgot to add, I'm using Jiffy "pro" peat pellet "greenhouse" trays with warming pads for covered trays, and Miracle Gro Quick Start in the water I had wanted to go totally organic but with this being my first garden in a very long time, wanted to give myself a little bit of a boost. The larger pots are a generic sterile potting soil mix but again watered with the Miracle Gro stuff.

·
Premium Member
24,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Taking Sunday off. Tomorrow got to go to the home center and get all the parts for the beds and fencing ordered and delivered.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.