Registered
14,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Primitive is a label that has its pejorative aspects when applied to
a practice, or a concept, and there is often a veiled agenda behind the
application of that label. Modern is another label with implied values,
rather the opposite of primitive. To the political correctness folks, modern
is good, primitive is bad.

Engineering practice can help us take this attitude apart and look at the pieces, because primitive is usually simple, and modern is usually far more complex. And any engineer will tell you, all things being equal, simple is a lot more functional than complex in anything with moving parts. (In interaction between individuals, all the parts are moving parts.)

Modern political arenas are dominated by media concepts and ideas that, in common with the advertising industry, focus on "-new! -NEW! -NEW!" and a sales industry that has, in common cause with the accountants, discarded the concept of quality for a model that is driven by planned obsolescence, and a product that is designed to serve for only a short period after the warranty runs out, which means the engineering staff is in on the game too.

Insofar as engineering practice is concerned, I prefer primitive. Steel forgins are a primitive way to produce parts, far more primitive than investment casting, far more primitive than folded sheet metal, far sturdier and longer-lasting because the implicit control of the steel's grain and crystalline structure that is allowed by the impact of the dies on the hot steel allows the part to function with greater tolerance for impact and wear than investment castings or molded injected metal.

Where commerce is concerned, primitive business required that I make a product that would serve the needs of my customer and, with due diligence and reasonable care, would assure that the product would not fail catastrophically and cause him injury. It further allowed me to expect that he would use the product in line with common sense, and not complain of lead poisoning brought on by his chewing on the bullets of the ammunition I sold him. Today, there is no common sense, there are shoals of legal sharks
in the water, both private and governmental, and you risk lawsuit and coercion at every step of the process if you build or sell a product. I far prefer primitive commerce.

Primitive communication is far preferable to the solipsistic horse-manure we have developed in the modern settings. Modern law? There is no truth in the process. Truth has followed quality and honesty in fleeing all of this modernity that we have allowed the hucksters, the lawyers, the thieves in Washington DC, New York City and the various state capitals to foist upon us.

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not so much our mouths these days but our mouse !
...and that is why we need politeness so very badly. It is the only useful lubricant for social interaction. Coupled with tact, it prevents the requirement for the burning of powder, or the wetting of ferrous metal in salty and hemoglobin-bearing solutions....

·
Mad Man with a Box
4,823 Posts
Yadda yadda yadda "good old days" yadda yadda yadda

The past is gone and never will be again. Deal with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts