Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Custom User Title
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, in many of the rivers i live near there are tons of crayfish. I know its easy enough to buy a trap or make one with a soda bottle, but do you guys have any ideas for primitive traps for crayfish? Ive thought long and hard but havent come up with anything.

·
Banned
7,436 Posts
Hey guys, in many of the rivers i live near there are tons of crayfish. I know its easy enough to buy a trap or make one with a soda bottle, but do you guys have any ideas for primitive traps for crayfish? Ive thought long and hard but havent come up with anything.
When I was a kid we would catch Crawdads with a length of twine and a piece of bacon rind with a rock to weigh it down. We never fished for them in rivers or creeks. Most of the time it was in a mud hole on a farm or ranch but sometimes in a lake. The Crawdads would not let go of the bacon usually we would pull out 4 or 5 crawdads at a time. It rarely took long to get a bucket full of them.

·
strikes to the left
1,397 Posts
When I was a kid we would catch Crawdads with a length of twine and a piece of bacon rind with a rock to weigh it down. We never fished for them in rivers or creeks. Most of the time it was in a mud hole on a farm or ranch but sometimes in a lake. The Crawdads would not let go of the bacon usually we would pull out 4 or 5 crawdads at a time. It rarely took long to get a bucket full of them.
I used to do the same thing with chicken livers in a stocking.

I used to work at a hardware store and would build small traps with tiny baskets in them too. It was just a matter of rolling the hardware cloth, sealing one end, and putting a cone in the other. I had a small wire basket on the inside of the trap and I would put the liver/stocking in it. I made a haul one day of 33 crawfish (placing it and checking on it the next day).

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
A simple trap can be made out of hardware cloth( 1/2" x 1/2" wire mesh). Make it into a cylinder. Close off one end, then take small slats, like paint stirrers and whittle them to a point and affix them around the open end so that the pointed ends are facing inside the cylinder and touching each other (so it looks like a funnel). Put some bait in there and throw it in the water. Critters get in, but can't get out.

·
strikes to the left
1,397 Posts
A simple trap can be made out of hardware cloth( 1/2" x 1/2" wire mesh). Make it into a cylinder. Close off one end, then take small slats, like paint stirrers and whittle them to a point and affix them around the open end so that the pointed ends are facing inside the cylinder and touching each other (so it looks like a funnel). Put some bait in there and throw it in the water. Critters get in, but can't get out.
Pretty much what I described:thumb:

·
Banned
7,436 Posts
I used to do the same thing with chicken livers in a stocking.

I used to work at a hardware store and would build small traps with tiny baskets in them too. It was just a matter of rolling the hardware cloth, sealing one end, and putting a cone in the other. I had a small wire basket on the inside of the trap and I would put the liver/stocking in it. I made a haul one day of 33 crawfish (placing it and checking on it the next day).

They make minnow traps of a similar design but they are plastic. The bait for minnows is corn.

·
strikes to the left
1,397 Posts
They make minnow traps of a similar design but they are plastic. The bait for minnows is corn.
Our traps were actually intended to be used to catch baitfish (small brim and larger minnows) for bass fishing, but the crawfish haul outnumbered the baitfish, which is why we modified the baskets. We did just put the liver/stocking inside the basket for them, but we got more haul when we sealed it so that they couldn't eat it. Besides, the crawfish make for an excellent bass fishing bait too.

Justin Baker: The baskets I used to make are pretty easy to do, but if you want, I can provide you a bit more detail. Total cost was about $5 a couple of years ago. Probably wouldn't be more than 10 now.

·
Banned
7,436 Posts
Our traps were actually intended to be used to catch baitfish (small brim and larger minnows) for bass fishing, but the crawfish haul outnumbered the baitfish, which is why we modified the baskets. We did just put the liver/stocking inside the basket for them, but we got more haul when we sealed it so that they couldn't eat it. Besides, the crawfish make for an excellent bass fishing bait too.
Mmmmmm bait you can eat too! I'm getting hungry

·
strikes to the left
1,397 Posts
Mmmmmm bait you can eat too! I'm getting hungry
Man, they ain't nothin like eatin' a messload of fresh crawfish. The little spots we used to find back in the woods just kept on and kept on producing. In a day or two of outings, we had enough crawfish to feed a party of 20 or more people. We should have sold them...

·
Banned
7,436 Posts
Man, they ain't nothin like eatin' a messload of fresh crawfish. The little spots we used to find back in the woods just kept on and kept on producing. In a day or two of outings, we had enough crawfish to feed a party of 20 or more people. We should have sold them...
There is a guy that lives down the street from me that has a side business of catering Crawfish boils. I don't know if he raises them or not but he has a trailer with a large kettle boiler and a basket to fit for boiling the "mudbugs". He also does fairs and other events.

·
strikes to the left
1,397 Posts
There is a guy that lives down the street from me that has a side business of catering Crawfish boils. I don't know if he raises them or not but he has a trailer with a large kettle boiler and a basket to fit for boiling the "mudbugs". He also does fairs and other events.
See, now you got me wanting to eat some again. I got a small creek that runs beside my house that has a small crawfish supply. I'll probably put together a basket (which will give me an opportunity to make a how-to for everyone here) and get me some of them.

·
V
21,713 Posts
Something Ive actually not looked at, Ive thought about it but not actually gotten around to trying, best time of year spring? summer? autumn? I know we have them in the cuts (canals) probably in some streams and lakes also..............I feel like a bum now gotta get out and try this :D:

·
Banned
7,436 Posts
Something Ive actually not looked at, Ive thought about it but not actually gotten around to trying, best time of year spring? summer? autumn? I know we have them in the cuts (canals) probably in some streams and lakes also..............I feel like a bum now gotta get out and try this :D:

I'll Try to get a good recipe for Crawfish Etouffe'. If you have never been to New Orleans the Creole and Cajun food they make is to die for! (not really die it's just an American Expression)

·
strikes to the left
1,397 Posts
They tend to be more active in the spring time, but so do a lot of other aquatic animals. I'm not real sure on the season, though.

·
Banned
7,436 Posts
They tend to be more active in the spring time, but so do a lot of other aquatic animals. I'm not real sure on the season, though.

Here in North Texas the best time was after spring rains that left mudholes in low lying areas of the pastures. As the water dried the Crawfish would build mud tubes where they lived in the moisture till the next big rain. other than the tubes in the pasture there was no indication that they were there when it was dry.

·
strikes to the left
1,397 Posts
Here in North Texas the best time was after spring rains that left mudholes in low lying areas of the pastures. As the water dried the Crawfish would build mud tubes where they lived in the moisture till the next big rain. other than the tubes in the pasture there was no indication that they were there when it was dry.
Yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. This is why I believe them to be in the creek near my house. The little mounds are all over my yard.:D: They look like giant worm mounds. I wonder if I would be able go grubbin' for crawfish?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts