·
Anyone?
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some prices that we've noticed have climbed higher in the last year or so:

Deer corn: last year: ~8 this year ~11 UP 37%
Corn on cob: last year .23/ear this year .33/ear UP 43%
Rabbit feed: last year 14 this year 15 UP 7%
T shirts: last year 10 this year 15 UP 50% !
Bacon: last year 4 this year 5 UP 25%

My take: Whatever durable goods you planned on buying in the next two years, buy NOW, if you have the money or can get a cheap fixed interest rate loan.

Anyway, feel free to add your price observations. THX!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
We have noticed the same thing big time. Our goat, rabbit, chicken supplies have increased a lot. All groceries and even non-grocery items such as toilet paper, etc. have increased about every two weeks! As for a loan, that would make me extremely nervous. I don't want to owe money in a good economy much less a failing one.

·
Anyone?
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have noticed the same thing big time. Our goat, rabbit, chicken supplies have increased a lot. All groceries and even non-grocery items such as toilet paper, etc. have increased about every two weeks! As for a loan, that would make me extremely nervous. I don't want to owe money in a good economy much less a failing one.
I like cash a lot better too. But if you can't do cash, but can find, a 7% fixed loan on something that will appreciate (due to inflation) at 10%....
Of course, you'll have to figure in your ability to make payments which may be questionable for ALL of us in the future :eek:

·
Registered
326 Posts
I noticed some of the canned goods we buy just went from 88 to 94 cents. Thats almost 7%. I am pretty sure they were 68 cents a can this time last year. Tha my friends is 28 percent in one calendar year.
Make no mistake, the next 12 months, food prices are going to go thru the roof. Between the drought, floods, and other natural disasters, the effect on food prices is going to be astronomical.
If it started raining today there would not be an increase of grain and livestock hay or feed for two years. It will be interesting to see the crop reports this year. The last report I read was predicting 13.5 billion bushels of corn, but that is only 180 million above consumption estimates. There are about 800 million bushels in storage. That is not much of a buffer.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I noticed wild bird seed and sunflower seed that i feed to the squirrels skyrocketing. Tripling in price, the squirrels will now have to find another food source, so will the birds soon. The price of a hersey bars doubled, cans of gravy almost doubled too. Everything has inched up and the sizes of the boxes got smaller. You think you're getting a good price, like a year or two ago, but the box is smaller.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I just returned from grocery shopping, food prices are climbing fast. A tiny can of campbells vegtable soup is $1.39 now. That is only 1 bowl of soup. I need to get a good veg soup recipe. I didnt buy it, but I did pick up a few other things that had my head shaking.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Wife went shopping this morning.. nothing big.. just enough to get us through 2 days or so.. snacks, cokes etc.

76 dollars

That 76 dollars didn't go to far..

·
I CHOOSE LIBERTY!
1,894 Posts
I just returned from grocery shopping, food prices are climbing fast. A tiny can of campbells vegtable soup is $1.39 now. That is only 1 bowl of soup. I need to get a good veg soup recipe. I didnt buy it, but I did pick up a few other things that had my head shaking.
I picked up 5 cases (120 cans) of Campbell's soup 10 3/4 oz. last year when they went on sale at Target for $.45 a can. Keep your eyes open for these type of sales, they happen every 6 months or so and stock up.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
There's nothing pathetic about having a nice food storage program for your household.

I shop a couple times a week and have not seen major increases, actually I've been getting good buys, such as...

dozen eggs .....$.88

lettuce ...........$.99

loaf of bread....$.69

Most every thing else is near where it was last year, if you shop at the right stores.

I also buy a lot of store brand items, and shop the sales, farmer's market, and occasional coupon, and I'm doing okay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts