Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably been done but I've looked through the last 4 pages and diddn't see anything and I'm feeling a little lazy so...

Last night I checked Samsclub.com to get some more Augason Farms and most items (that I happend to recall what I paid for) has gone up in price. almost Everything that I have bought from sams is now more expensive and it has only just happened in the past month.
- whole eggs
-butter powder
-honey powder
- Scrambled egg mix
- fettichinie alfredo
- strawberries
- vegetables for stew
-morning moos
-lowfat milk
have all gone up

things that have not
-dough enhancer
-chicken TVP
-55 gallon water container

Kroger
kroger value bread from $0.88 to $0.99 two weeks ago

HEB
100 calorie snacks from $1.99 to $2.19 in the past few months
Gerber Good Start 2 changed the packaging and raised the price from $12.95 to $18.99 WOW!

those are just the ones I've noticed recently. What have you seen?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
That is the result of "Quantitative easing" better known as monetizing the debt. It's a subversive way to tax the hell out of EVERYTHING without actually passing a tax increase. You blame the merchants, not the government. Obama then removed food and fuel from the inflation formula so it would look like there is no inflation. Just consider it a massive national sales tax.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I noticed the price of gound beef has gone up to over $3 a lb. I got in on sale for $2.69 last week. Its cheaper to go buy hamburgers at Mc donalds than to make them yourself now. It seems like the "sale" prices are now the regular prices we were paying just a few years ago. Even with getting sale items and using coupons my grocery bill has gone way up.

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
Unfortunately, there are just too many examples of either price increases and/or size reductions in grocery products to list.

Manufacturers are using lots of sneaky ways to increase profits. A multi-package that used to contain 24 items is now down to 20 or 18 items, but the price remains the same, or might even have increased. Things that used to be marketed in 16 ounce (one pound) cans are now reduced to 14, 12, or even 10 ounces. And the price has gone up on these. Individual candy bars are now priced at $1.00 in most places, but the size of these has been reduced at the same time the price increased.

The manufacturers of household paper products are being extremely creative in boosting profit margins. Boxes of tissues are steadily being marketed with fewer tissues in the box. Toilet paper rolls off the assembly line with fewer sheets on the roll, and the roll is now smaller in width. Fewer paper towels on the roll, and they are smaller. These are not one-time changes. It is a constant ongoing thing.

Just assume that everything in the store has shrunk in quantity, while the price has increased. You will be right, about that, nearly 100% of the time.

And this is just the beginning of inflation in food prices.

·
Father figure
405 Posts
It's my opinion that these increases we're all seeing on the consumer end is largely due to business 101.
If cost/inflation is squeezing the bottom line, the easiest reaction is to simply pass those increases along to the consumer.
Yes, belt tightening and corner cutting will always take place in a well run consumer based business when their front-side spending spikes, especially in retail setting where a price point can make or break them.
Frankly, I find it somewhat unusual that many manufacturers have been able to absorb their raised input costs so long.

For what it's worth, I remember reading that the U.S. has, by percentage of income, one of the lowest costs for food in the industrialized world, and the highest for healthcare.

As a side note, I believe that food and fuel were removed from the consumer price index back in the 1970's, nothing new here.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
As a side note, I believe that food and fuel were removed from the consumer price index back in the 1970's, nothing new here.
I was going to say, that happened well before Obama.. but i didnt have the details offhand.

And there is nothing different over here in Australia either, they just keep reducing packet sizes and upping prices.

All 200g bags of chips etc are now down to 180g, 100g down to 90.

It annoys me because it mucks up recipies, ie, "add 1 425 gram can of tomatoes" well now you have to add 1 and 1 10th of a can to have the correct amount, I wish they would just up the price and leave the package sizes the same.

Speaking of canned goods, sometimes theres more water than food in them as well... if I buy a can of corn i want a can of corn not 1/2 a can of water and 1/2 a can of corn lol.. (i dont think filling up the cans 1/2 full of water is a new thing though, and its not in all cases)

·
Registered
989 Posts
About a year ago the one that struck me the most was the ice cream carton size. When I first saw them, I thought they looked cute, but then quickly realized the price was the same.

If anyone reads FerFAL, he lived through the Argentina collapse in 2000 and he said that shrinking package size was a common result of inflation.

·
Not playing games
1,332 Posts
I have not noticed much of an increase in food prices in S.W. Oregon, but the area is largely self-sufficient in food and any increase would only boost the 'eat-local' movement.

On the other hand, while we hear the price of gas is going down everywhere else, it's still 3.87 here, for the 2nd worst quality go-go juice in the lower 48.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I noticed the price of gound beef has gone up to over $3 a lb. I got in on sale for $2.69 last week. Its cheaper to go buy hamburgers at Mc donalds than to make them yourself now. It seems like the "sale" prices are now the regular prices we were paying just a few years ago. Even with getting sale items and using coupons my grocery bill has gone way up.
if you have a kroger its on sale this week for $1.99/lb but only if you buy the 3 or 5lb rolls. I pretty much don't eat meat anymore anyway, but its still good to have some in the freezer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts