Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOOOHOOO! Santa (in the form of my wife) brought me a Fagor pressure cooker this Christmas!

So, help me out: Post your favorite (non-canning) pressure cooker recipes.

Thanks!

·
Where the Elite meet
5,560 Posts
You really don't need pressure cooker specific recipes. The secret is in getting the timing right. I use a pressure cooker quite a lot, and aside from the booklet that came with mine (also a Fagor - check the white booklet for specific times for specific foods) you the same recipes that I've been using for years.

The biggest problem you'll have in the beginning is overcooking things. I found it handy to set a timer as even an extra minute can be the difference between tasty and trash.

Also, if you are cooking beef let the pressure release naturally as if you manually release it the meat tends to get tough. It's an odd phenomena, and I have no idea why it happens, but it does. I've only had it happen to beef, no other meats.

I also think that a pressure cooker is great for when SHTF as they need so little fuel to cook with.

·
Spooky
1,698 Posts
I got myself a nice Fagor a few months ago myself. My favorite recipe so far is my vegetarian chili. I started with this recipe.

I made the Beef Bourguignon from the little white Fagor cook book and it was *very* good.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, whats wrong with asking grilling or griddle recipes? I understand that its simply a different process. I was just wanting some sharing of some recipes not included with the Fagor Rapida set.

Used it last night for the first time.

5 pieces of chicken
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
4 medium potatoes, coarsely chopped
2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
Fresh mushrooms to taste
About 3/4 pound baby carrots
About 2 cups chicken stock
To taste:
Salt
Pepper
Sage
Rosemary
Garlic

Brown salt and peppered chicken pieces in a bit of oil and remove from cooker.
Put onion in until just starting to clear.
Add remaining ingredients, stir a bit to mix and place the chicken pieces on top.
Install lid and heat cooker to pressure. Cook for 13 minutes after pressure is reached.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Half a pound of good beans, a ham bone, some onion, celery, tomatoes and carrots. The amounts aren't too critical. Use what you have. Fresh, frozen or dried veggies all will work. Fill the pressure cooker 3/4 full. Bring it all to a boil on high heat. When the shuttle cock starts dancing, turn it down to low heat. Check it after about an hour to see if it is done. If not cook a bit longer. Add salt and pepper to taste.

You can substitute any kind of ham or spam for the ham bone. Even sausage will do.

Funny thing. That's what I am cooking right now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts