Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Always Loaded
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been debating the purchase of a All American 30 quart pressure canner for a couple years. I decided this was the year and went shopping online. SOLD OUT! Everywhere. A few places were still selling them, for over $400 and with the notice that they won't be shipping for 4-10 weeks minimum. I knew things were getting crazy, but never even crossed my mind how this would effect canning.

After a few calls, and a lot of time searching, I resigned that I would have to just wait it out and maybe have it for next year. I knew it was a long shot, but decided to call the little hardware and feed store down the road. "Yup, we got one, but it's $299!" I couldn't get there fast enough. The box looks like it has been sitting there for 10+ years. But inside, the prettiest, shiniest new canner ever seen. It was clearly made before All American stopped polishing their canners to save money. I am so excited. Can't wait to double my canning from 7 to 14 quarts per batch. Anyone else seeing a run on this stuff in your area?

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I bought an All American sooner than expected.

I was looking for an alternative to refrigeration, specifically for meat.

Started hunting for canning equipment when everyone was freaking out over toilet paper.

I bought from here (looks like they still have stock) for those looking to buy make sure it’s the canner and not the autoclave.

I chose them because they shipped sooner than everyone else.

Their wait times are based off of business days, not weekends.

They are also responsive if you call them up inquiring about your order.

https://www.autoclavedepot.com/new-autoclaves/autoclaves-sterilizers/all-american-canners/

·
I have control issues
5,921 Posts
Yes, canning supplies are at very low levels. As people started seeing shortages and rising prices at the grocery stores, first they hit the seeds and plants from the suppliers and stores, then it was the canning supplies. People are getting more serious about producing and preserving more of their own food. Every time I go to the commissary on post, I pick up another 2 each of wide and regular mouth canning lids, just so I always have them on hand.

Congrats on scoring that AA canner! I love my AA canner!

·
Registered
34,360 Posts
Lids are all I have looked for. Never, ever have enough, even with tattlers.

I think you will love, love, love your new canner.
When we were talking about the likelihood of this (shortages) back in Feb I tried to tell myself that...

But I really do think 3,000 Tattlers is 'enough' (for one person)

Just couldn't pull the trigger on another 500....

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,284 Posts
I bought an All American sooner than expected.

I was looking for an alternative to refrigeration, specifically for meat.

Started hunting for canning equipment when everyone was freaking out over toilet paper.

I bought from here (looks like they still have stock) for those looking to buy make sure it’s the canner and not the autoclave.

I chose them because they shipped sooner than everyone else.

Their wait times are based off of business days, not weekends.

They are also responsive if you call them up inquiring about your order.

https://www.autoclavedepot.com/new-autoclaves/autoclaves-sterilizers/all-american-canners/
That site is so full of obvious "Chinglish" that I'm not sure I'd want to trust them.

·
Possum Lover
15,604 Posts
I had major home damage last year, as part of that insurance pays movers to clean out the house. The pressure canner went out the front door but did not come back, along with a lot of my canned food. :mad:

Reactions: Sailorsam

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I had major home damage last year, as part of that insurance pays movers to clean out the house. The pressure canner went out the front door but did not come back, along with a lot of my canned food. :mad:
I thought you gave away your canner. I remember Nomad saying something about rethinking that. IIRC, you posted you found someone to give it to. I guess that stuck in my mind becasue I might give away dh but you would have to fight me for my canner!

·
Registered
301 Posts
We have 6-7 All American stove top pressure canners.. All are garage sale, thrift store treasures.. I have refurbished all with new gauges and a good cleaning.. All are ready for service.. With about $20 of new parts each, none was more than $50 total per appliance. The only size we do not have is the 941.

We also have several other brand pressure canners we use for water bath and specialty uses..

It takes a bit more time, but with planning and attention to detail, it is easier to keep 2-3 smaller capacity canners running as needed depending on the amount of product needing processed..

·
Always Loaded
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have 6-7 All American stove top pressure canners.. All are garage sale, thrift store treasures.. I have refurbished all with new gauges and a good cleaning.. All are ready for service.. With about $20 of new parts each, none was more than $50 total per appliance. The only size we do not have is the 941.

We also have several other brand pressure canners we use for water bath and specialty uses..

It takes a bit more time, but with planning and attention to detail, it is easier to keep 2-3 smaller capacity canners running as needed depending on the amount of product needing processed..
That is great! I think that has a lot to do with local culture. In my area of Pennsylvania, we are only one or two generations removed from 90% of houses canning. Lots of German Baptist and Mennonites in the area. Canning supplies get gobbled up quick, and used stuff sells at high prices.

·
Always Loaded
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been known to have my two big, seven quart, canners going at the same time
and wishing for a third. Canning can be addicting.
That's why I got the AA! 14 quarts at a pop. That, and no seals to wear out. Thing will probably outlive my children's kids.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
That's why I got the AA! 14 quarts at a pop. That, and no seals to wear out. Thing will probably outlive my children's kids.
The only thing I have against one that large is the weight. I think that model is much taller than mine and fitting it on the stove was a consideration, too. They are a wonderful canner though. I love the dual gauges and no gasket. If good silicone gaskets could still be found it would be less critical but they are in the past.

Happy canning!

·
Possum Lover
15,604 Posts
I had a water bath and a pressure. The water bath came back, the pressure did not. They took some odd stuff, cases of Bibles, my jewelry (I could see that), canned food (back in March), some clothes, all my workout clothing, etc.

I did not file a claim as it was long gone. I have about a 50 square foot kitchen and no real room for canned goods. Also my husband gets confused and might get into the wrong cabinet and break the jars. It is easier to store dry ingredients and frozen cooked meals.

I was interested in re homing the water bath, and, at the time, I believed I had the pressure as well (Had not got my stuff back yet). So those were both going to be donated. A woman from Houston was posting on here for a minute she kept going on about her husband and the lung transplant? She swore she would take it the pressure canner and some supplies, I left it all on the porch, she never did so I put it at the curb for the trash pickers.

I was very annoyed she had SWORN she would get it otherwise I would have tossed it when I had the dumpster. I have very limited room and got rid of some shelving in the house that had held all this.

I sent her a PM she never responded and then vanished... she had friended me on FB but I got tired of her so I blocked her. I do regret giving her my address as I really don't want people knowing I prep + the address.

Last I heard her husband, who had a double lung transplant, had been ORDERED by his doctors to stay home for the duration until this was done, and he was still going out. So I guess the taxpayers are going to be on the hook for his ICU stay when he does get sick. Assuming he makes it.

I am incredibly protective of my husband because he does check a lot of boxes for high risk and I enjoy having him around (usually :rofl: )

·
Registered
552 Posts
You will not regret this purchase. I'm using my 15 quart as a type this.. home grown watermelon jelly.

Might as well order pectin now- prices are up and it is scarce.

After canning for a while- here is a list of stuff you may want to get that I didn't at first, but found I needed. This is for general all around canning.

Ball canning book
large stainless pot
stainless sauce pan
jar lifter (must)
magnetic lid lifter
oven mitts
large fine sieve
colander
canning funnel
ladle
large ladle with drain holes
tongs
tons of vinegar and sugar
pectin
citric acid
pyrex measuring cup

I know it sounds like a lot, but in the course of canning pickled items, pressure canning, and making jam- I needed all these at one point. Plus all this can be had at Walmart for less than $100.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts