Survivalist Forum banner

Does having to press one for English **** you off?

• Yes it makes me angry, and I want the national language to stay English.

Votes: 115 91.3%
  • No, I love pressing one after a short burst of some foreign language crap i dont understand.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I plead the 5th, because i might sound prejiduce.

Votes: 3 2.4%
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Life, Liberty,& Happiness
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, this will paint a target on my back.

Seriously though, why in the hell do I have to press one for English?

Isn't this the United States? Isn't our national language still English? Wasn't our constitution written in English and our Declaration of Independence as well? What the hell happened?

I am so sick of calling companies and pressing a button for the National language, I am sick of job applications and interviews asking if I am bi-lingual, I am sick of using an ATM at a Bank and pressing the number 1.

Shouldn't it just be assumed that if you live in a country that you need to speak the language? Are we the minority now or something? I don't expect to go to or live in a foreign country, and have them cater to my language, I would give them the respect of speaking the native tongue.

So please someone tell me why in the hell are we spending tax dollars teaching classes in school that cater to people in their language, so they can graduate from school without even speaking English.

Does anyone else get irritated by this, please tell me im not the only one?

IMHO, Learn the language or leave.

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
This is America and I feel that any person that comes here had better start learning the english language or get out and go back where they came from...

It should not be even remotely considered that some person from *****ia or Bosnia or Iraq be not required to learn the english language, and yet i am required to understand their language, and waste tax payer money to have translators on hand for every damn tongue on earth is literally absurd...

If that makes me a racist... so friggin be it

it will not allow the first part of the nation in africa that starts with nig

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
In the case of private business isn't that business owners right to conduct business in any language that person sees fit? Isn't it your right to vote that business out by not giving them any of your money. Or by letting them know exactly how you feel.

I don't think this is a racist observation just a slippery slope of our freedoms.

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
Businesses pander to people who speak Spanish because illegal aliens are not kicked out of the country. They pander to them to get their business and in so doing, diminish the country and Balkanize it to a degree that many of us are uncomfortable with. It's just another stupid thing to chip away at our country and our culture thanks to big business.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
What culture? Here in South Texas our culture is a mixture of many cultures. Heck the cowboy hat and boots are reinventions of other cultures.

It is this mixture that has made America so interesting and great. As for catering to Mexican interests. Well yeah here in South Texas we get a lot of legal Mexican Nationals. As well as many hispanics that are third or even fourth generation that prefer to speak Spanish. They cater to each other and I see no good reason to not let them conduct their business as they see fit.

·
Subculture
1,031 Posts
I really enjoy going to Walmart and hearing Spanish announcements over the intercom. Or having to read around signage written in Spanish to find what I'm looking for. I especially like it when all of the product packaging is face Spanish side out. Did I mention I live in Oregon? Call me racist. I don't care. I'm sick of it. And don't even get me started on having to listen to a recording when I call a company to pay a bill or schedule an appointment....I have a lot of Hispanic friends. Half of them refuse to speak Spanish. Some of them don't even know Spanish.

Sorry. I was rambling.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Isn't this the United States? Isn't our national language still English?
The US has no national language. At the beginning of the US, many english speakers feared that if a vote was taken that the language might have been german, since there was a lot of damn germn immigrants taking away american jobs at the time. They felt it safer to forego a national language rather than risk it not being english.

·
Not To Reason Why...
1,966 Posts
Also keep in mind the congress in the late 1700's almost made our national language German. As most "public" schools at the time taught in only German. Though most young students were taught at home anyway usually in their home language.

The senate passed making the National language English, however for some reason the president never signed it, so it was never signed into law this was 2004 I believe.

Making anything "national" is just a bad idea. The only reason most speak or are forced to learn english in their schools is like back 300bc - 300ad if you wanted to do business or commerce in the world you needed to know Greek. Then shortly thereafter 300ad it was Latin...then English once England became the world power. So who knows in the next 100 years our grandkids may be made to speak Mandarin if they want to make it in the world.

Spanish is only prevalant because the influx of immigrants and illegal immigrants you have California 60% hispanic whose language at home is Spanish not English. Same with NM, NV, and AZ. There are parts of California, New York and others where you can't get services in some parts if you don't speak the language at all. I know broken spanish enough to get by. I know enough German to get by. Cause I've had to use it before. The arabic is all but gone now as I never used it. You use what you need to get by or "make it".

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
What culture? Here in South Texas our culture is a mixture of many cultures. Heck the cowboy hat and boots are reinventions of other cultures.

It is this mixture that has made America so interesting and great. As for catering to Mexican interests. Well yeah here in South Texas we get a lot of legal Mexican Nationals. As well as many hispanics that are third or even fourth generation that prefer to speak Spanish. They cater to each other and I see no good reason to not let them conduct their business as they see fit.
The country is much more than "South Texas."

Well Dude, I don't live in Texas and I don't live in California and I don't live in New Mexico or Arizona. I live in Maryland. I can understand your point of view and that of people from the other, aforementioned States. I guess you cannot see mine.

·
Just plain snarky.
5,967 Posts
Bilingual? In many countries being bilingual gives you a step up in business. One of my best mates came here from Italy when he was 5, he still has an accent when he gets excited.(funny to hear:D). Speaks Italian, English and German well; both his parents can understand English, but still don't speak it well after 35 odd years. Didn't stop them working 18 hour days for decades building a business to get their three sons a good start in life.
Still quite a few old folks around here don't spika da engrish well; Italians, Greeks, Vietnamese, Thai, but their kids have had a damn good example in work ethics set for them.

If some phone voice asks you to press 1 for English; and you find this an imposition; then I would suggest partaking of a spoonful of cement to harden yourself up.
Could be worse; could be asking you to press 8 for English after going through a list.....

·
Life, Liberty,& Happiness
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In the case of private business isn't that business owners right to conduct business in any language that person sees fit? Isn't it your right to vote that business out by not giving them any of your money. Or by letting them know exactly how you feel.

I don't think this is a racist observation just a slippery slope of our freedoms.
Sure its a businesses right to conduct business as they see fit, but they are just making it easier for illegals to live here. Sure I can boycott and I do as much as possible. Sure its a persons right to speak whatever language they want at home.

Bottom line this land is ran on the English language, we shouldn't have to pay our tax money into educating foreigners in a foreign language, I shouldn't have to press buttons for the native language, I shouldn't have to listen to blah blah blah foreign crap everytime I go to a store.

Language barriers in the workplace can be dangerous, me in the English speaking majority shouldn't have to learn a minority language to get a job done safely. Have you ever volunteered on a Fire Dept. and responded to a non-English speaking call, absolute stupidity. We as a nation already cater to everyone else just to be politically correct, no more god in schools (it might offend), allowing terrorist religions to set-up shop, all black or Hispanic colleges (can't have all white though, that's prejudice).

It seriously ****es me off, being a white male is a curse nowadays in the U.S.A. and I will be damned if I have to give up my language too.

Since when did we as a nation sell out?

Welcome to America, Learn the language or go the **** home.

·
seek, locate, evaluate
833 Posts
There is a difference here when it comes to private v public sectors.

A business should be able to provide service in English at a minimum and whatever other language it wants- it is after all more expenditure.

However, enforced monopolies such as telecom companies or energy/water companies should be mandated to only provide service in English since a consumer has no other option but to do business with them thanks to government intervention.

Governments should as a matter of cost savings to taxpayers and as a vessel of maintaining our culture provide service ONLY in English. Mandated by law so we don't get confused...

It is good to learn other languages as a pure intellectual pursuit or to enhance business, etc., however, this is an individual choice. Official bilingualism is nothing but a cost burden on the people.

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
It just makes it easier for them to break the law and for those that choose to stay here, to not assimilate. Huge problem.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts