Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, im kind of new at preserving small game pelts and i pretty much have the basic understanding of what you have to do. My dad neighbor and friends have told me that all you do is when you skin the squirrel make sure most of the fat is off and sprinkle a good layer of salt over it, then let it sit for a day or two and scrape off the salt, then soak it in warm salty water which i just did today and that just brought it back to life basically, so i scraped off a bit more fat and resalted it to let it dry for the rest of the week. So am i doing anything wrong? any tips or suggestions?

Btw, What i plan on doing with the squirrel pelt is either making a little carrying pouch or a shotshell holder, i welcome any ideas on what to make out of the pelt too
thanks guys

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh wow that sounds pretty interesting what he did with it. I havent checked on my pelt today but im probably not going to for the rest of the week so ill definatly email you how it turns out
thanks for the support

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I might have mixed alum with the salt to keep the hair from slipping, but as long as the salt as soaked into the hide it should be preserved.

Do you have a camera? Please take some pictures and share with us. I know I'd like to see your progress.:)

rill

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
I tried to do this with a squirrel, i had no instruction i covered it with rock salt...and then kind of forgot about it. i found it on the porch about 6 mo later and it was fine. stiff as a board but in good shape.

were gonna need some pics especially of the finished product.

T

1 - 7 of 7 Posts