Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got your preps squared away?
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2011-03-30-wal-mart-ceo-expects-inflation_N.htm

"U.S. consumers face "serious" inflation in the months ahead for clothing, food and other products, the head of Wal-Mart's U.S. operations warned Wednesday. "We're seeing cost increases starting to come through at a pretty rapid rate."

John Long, a retail strategist at Kurt Salmon, predicts prices will start increasing at all retailers in June. "Every single retailer has and is paying more for the items they sell, and retailers will be passing some of these costs along," Long says. "No retailer is going to be able to wish this new cost reality away. They're not going to be able to insulate the consumer 100%."

Just another reason to prep ASAP.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh I wished I'd seen the light earlier.I'm somewhat prepared but not as much as I'd like to be.
Just do what you can, Ernest. That's all anyone can do. In the next two months, you could make quite a difference in your amount of food stores. Food is increasing more than anything else so far and is expected to continue, so you could consider your food stores as one of the best possible investments. If nothing like SHTF happens, you'll still save considerable money by buying it now.

Good luck.

·
Vincer Aut Mori
162 Posts
went to the store today to get something and noticed one cucumber for 2.00 werent goin to plant any in my garden but changed my mind.things are goin to get bad b4 they get good.have never canned b4 but will be doin a lot of it this year.

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,199 Posts
I read this article this morning.
If Walmart says it's gonna be bad, then it's gonna be bad. Mrs Cricket and I chatted a little about what things we're going to stock up on over the weekend. We're leaning towards stocking up on the no getting around it everyday staples. The things you absolutely have to have to maintain quality of life.

·
Banned
2,839 Posts
I see walmart preparing for that law suit they are involved in. They are already notifying everyone that prices are going up (guess we are going to pay for walmarts misgivings).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Lawsuit? How about because gas prices are skyrocketing over unrest in N. Africa, AND summer coming in N. Hemi. which ALWAYS means gas prices (READ:SHIPPING PRICES) go up, AND Japan can't produce goods as usual, which also means they are COMPETING with other international suppliers for normal goods like replacement parts for industrial level food grinders and anything else that makes food, parts, etc., AND they have areas where they can't produce food, AND they'll need more gas and materials to rebuild AND money hasn't been worth anything for many years now, AND weather is unpredictable, AND PEAK OIL HAS COME AND GONE, AND "it's" probably already hit the fan! Seriously?? A lawsuit is going to bring down the economy, when all of the writing has been on the wall for YEARS AND YEARS, IF NOT DECADES???

·
Registered
347 Posts
FWIW, I work in a large hospital ER and we see a lot of folks with dental pain. Many are drug seeking but many have real dental issues. We generally give them an Rx for a pain med and an antibiotic, usually Pen V K (a penicillin) or clindamycin. Both were on the wal mart $4.00 list until this week.

We got a call from the local Wal mart pharmacist Monday saying the prices had risen to $20 for the Pen V K and $46 for the clindamycin. They said they had no advance warning of this and were not sure what other meds may be affected as they didn't know until they rung these meds up.

Ingles, a local grocery store still has them for $3 and we have not had time to check out K mart or Target, but since Walmart led the way regarding this list, I suspect they will lead the prices back up.

The $4.00 list has been a huge help to a lot of people because it covered such a wide variety of meds.

I just think this is more writing on the wall for those with the eyes to see the wall!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'm unemployed at this time so I have lots of time to get things done. A couple of my stops that I have been making regularly have been the 2 Goodwill stores in my area. I have notice the shelves being more empty lately. More people buying and I think less people donating items. Just my view, no statistics behind this.

·
Blessed
648 Posts
I went to buy hen scratch yesterday and it had gone up almost a dollar a bag from 2 weeks ago. I'm going to have to start eating those chickens instead of feeding them.

They are free range chickens but I do give them a coffee can of feed a day.

I'm heading out now to stock up some more.

Suzanne

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
As long as the price of fuel stays up, we can expect EVERYHING to go up in price.

The topic that really has me concerned, is the price of fuel and the price of food. Its going to cost people more money to drive back and forth to work, and cost more to buy food. Its getting to the point where the most basic essentials are getting too expensive.

As a result of the high cost of fuel, I look for more and more people to buy fuel efficient cars and trucks. The days of the 10 mile per gallon supped up car or truck are gone.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
It is spring and the cost of grain is up, they are slaughtering poultry. The market chains in this area are having rotating sales of split breast chicken for .99 a pound. Turkeys are going on sale for .59lb. Looks like the fall holiday season is going to be expensive this year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts