Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think it's time to push the panic button yet, but .... the new Wuhan virus appears to be spreading fast so I'm beginning to transition to pre-SHTF mode.

What preps would be beneficial at this stage?
I'm thinking:
1) Stock up on zinc pills. Zinc has been proven in labs to slow the rate of viral replication. Note that the virus does not appear to be a flu virus so I'm not sure Tami-Flu will provide any benefit. Even so, I would expect a run on Tami-Flu at the stores.

2) Increase food reserves. I don't want to have to interact with crowds at the stores any more than I have to so I'm putting away more short-term frozen/refrigerated food as well as additional canned food. At this stage I'm not sure why the electricity would go out so I'm comfortable depending on refrigerated items at the moment

3) Watch the markets carefully. If the virus becomes a problem in the U.S. it could be a catalyst for a nasty correction. If things get really bad it could cause a recession. I'm not selling yet but watching the market with interest.

If the virus gets worse as in infections are wide-spread in the U.S:
1) Avoid contact with other people. I'm retired now so I don't have to go to work. This means no restaurants, no gym, no shopping, no hanging out with buds at the bar.
2) Quarantine mail for several days before opening so any viral matter becomes inert.
3) Daily zinc supplements
4) Frequent hand washing

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,454 Posts
A few ideas I can remember from my prepping for Ebola.
1 case of saline solution. (there was a shortage at the time)
crate of chem suit coveralls.
case of 3M P100 respirator filters, a full face 3M respirator, goggles, and a couple half mask respirators.
Tons of nitrile gloves.
UV light for a decontamination table when bringing store bought food into the house.
ozone generator for room decontamination.

Elderberry syrup.
Stuff to make oral rehydration formula.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,454 Posts
What is this........????

Stuff to make oral rehydration formula.
The Who has a published recipe for oral rehydration formula.
Dehydration is one of the main ways to die from nasty diseases.

IV Saline is the best remedy.
Oral rehydration formula is a close second, if you can keep in down.
You can buy packets ready to mix with water, or store the components and a recipe to make yourself.
There are a few different formulas.
Probably should try them out ahead of time to make sure you react well to the one you will use to try and save your life with.
For me, I would NEVER include sugar for example.

Pedialyte is used for infants with good results usually.

http://www.rehydrate.org/ors/expert-consultation.html

https://www.medscape.com/answers/80...rs-for-the-treatment-of-pediatric-dehydration

https://siteresources.worldbank.org...-1430226362890/Oral_Rehydration_Solutions.pdf

Here is a good thread on Oral rehydration salts.
https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=847537&highlight=rehydration

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is Zinc something a person can over dose on........??? What is a recommended daily dosage......???
No more than 40mg daily is the recommended dose. Long-term (10+ years) consumption of zinc has been linked to prostate cancer so I only take the pills when I'm under the weather with a cold. Incidentally, evidence that zinc is effective against ordinary pneumonia is mixed.

Apparently, if you are taking too much zinc you will probably know it as zinc can cause nausea, stomach pain and fatigue.

Also, if it turns out that Tamiflu is effective against this virus, the seeds in the gumballs of the sycamore tree contain the same active ingredient as in Tamiflu. This is confirmed by numerous sources. I went out today to the sycamores around my home to look for some but they had been on the ground too long and were mushy and rotting.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Who has a published recipe for oral rehydration formula.
Dehydration is one of the main ways to die from nasty diseases.

IV Saline is the best remedy.
Oral rehydration formula is a close second, if you can keep in down.
You can buy packets ready to mix with water, or store the components and a recipe to make yourself.
There are a few different formulas.
Probably should try them out ahead of time to make sure you react well to the one you will use to try and save your life with.
For me, I would NEVER include sugar for example.

Pedialyte is used for infants with good results usually.

http://www.rehydrate.org/ors/expert-consultation.html

https://www.medscape.com/answers/80...rs-for-the-treatment-of-pediatric-dehydration

https://siteresources.worldbank.org...-1430226362890/Oral_Rehydration_Solutions.pdf

Mel's published her recipe here somewhere at one time that I thought sounded like the best recipe.
Does this new virus cause nausea or dehydration?

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,454 Posts
I've got an entire box of Gatorade powder packages stashed away. Mix with clean water and dilute by 50% and it's basically Pedialyte.
Looks like a reasonably good set of ingredients.
Ingredients: SUGAR, DEXTROSE, CITRIC ACID, SALT, SODIUM CITRATE, MONOPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM SILICATE, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, YELLOW 5.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gatorade-Thirst-Quencher-Lemon-Lime-Drink-Mix-Powder-51-Oz/10450687

An easy way to tic that box and it would be tasty as well.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
The sugar in rehydration solution is not just flavoring, it is a big component of rehydration process. This can be concerning to diabetics, also another reason for diabetics to stay well hydrated. Prevention better than treatment.

Spray bottles for sanitizing solution, a garden pressure sprayer is cheap and easy to use. Bleach solutions should be mixed fresh each day.
Had the flu going on 2 weeks, a long time for me. Been taking antihistamines for runny nose, aspirin for headache. Told nurse niece I'm better but she said take a deep breath and i immediately started coughing. Stethoscope to check upper and lower lungs to see if clear, no pneumonia. Knowing deep breathing exercises can help.
Ordered some n95 masks, key features two bands to hold in place and valve. I think masks are more to keep your germs to yourself vs stopping you from breathing in virus. Plus cross contamination issue.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Also, if it turns out that Tamiflu is effective against this virus, the seeds in the gumballs of the sycamore tree contain the same active ingredient as in Tamiflu. This is confirmed by numerous sources.
True, but how do you extract it and dose it? The sweet gum produces the active ingredient (shikimic acid) at slightly less than 1/4th to less than 1/2 the quantity that the Chinese Star Anise does. Pine needles by comparison have a 3% content.

RR

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
True, but how do you extract it and dose it? The sweet gum produces the active ingredient (shikimic acid) at slightly less than 1/4th to less than 1/2 the quantity that the Chinese Star Anise does. Pine needles by comparison have a 3% content.

RR
You hit on one of the problems of natural medicine. Dosing is a problem with natural medicines in that different individual plants can produce varying amounts of the useful chemical and even the same individual plants can produce varying levels. I do not know the dose for sycamore seeds. I have seen many websites that talk about shikimic acid in the gumballs but I have never seen anyone describe the correct dose. I suppose the thinking is that some herbal medicine is better than none.

I didn't know pine needles contained the same active ingredient. Do you know if there is a difference between white and yellow pine species? Pine needles were already part of my post-SHTF foraging strategy for the Vit A and C.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you have opinions on respirators? How many should one have if using disposables? Is a few dozen a good start for one person?

I guess full and half face masks have their advantages in fit and comfort, perhaps in cost-effectiveness as well. But I feel they scream too much professionalism and authority - the cheap disposable ones should allow you to blend in with the crowd.

·
Super Moderator
CRAP CREEK SURVIVOR
2,334 Posts
Do you have opinions on respirators? How many should one have if using disposables? Is a few dozen a good start for one person?
Until RR jumps back into this thread, I'll chime in...

This may be of interest that could be useful in case you run out of your favorite masks/respirators during a pandemic and cannot buy any more.

***NOTICE!*** The information in this post does NOT discuss the first or best choice of protective masks. It is ONLY for last-ditch scenarios when you are completely out of your best options. If you find yourself in a pandemic of a long duration, this information may be useful.

This post is not intended to be an analysis of which masks are the best, but rather what a person could do in a prolonged pandemic situation, and if the supplies of your masks of choice were depleted.

You will need at least one fresh mask each day you are out in public. Maybe more, depending on what your day entails. Consider the fact that if you store new unused masks in a clean dry location, this item will not "go bad." (Over time the elastic loops may deteriorate, but you may be able to sew on cloth ties that can be adjusted to the wearer.) Order more than you think you'll need. If a pandemic event turns sideways, it may be a while before you can get more.

According to the CDC, the N95 masks are the current "gold standard" (P100 is better), but according to these findings, good quality surgical masks may be used as emergency back-ups. The following info will be good news if your supply of better masks is depleted.

EDITED TO ADD: later in this thread, I posted a link with CDC guidelines for safely reusing n95 masks.

(Hattip to Reasonable Rascal who posted the following two links on another board that we belong to. I am taking the liberty of sharing these gems with you.)

The second link and synopsis are for the abstract that was published in the Journal of the American Medical Association Network (JAMA Network). It discusses a study that points out how surgical masks can be an emergency alternative (in case we run out of our N95 masks, or P100s, full face masks, N100s or whatever is in our supply chests).

September 3, 2019 by UT Southwestern Medical Center

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-09-surgical-masks-good-respirators-flu.html

N95 Respirators vs Medical Masks for Preventing Influenza Among Health Care Personnel A Randomized Clinical Trial

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2749214

Here is an excerpt of the published info:

"Researchers may finally have an answer in the long-running controversy over whether the common surgical mask is as effective as more expensive respirator-type masks in protecting health care workers from flu and other respiratory viruses.

A study published today in JAMA compared the ubiquitous surgical (or medical) mask, which costs about a dime, to a less commonly used respirator called an N95, which costs around $1. The study reported "no significant difference in the effectiveness" of medical masks vs. N95 respirators for prevention of influenza or other viral respiratory illness.

"This study showed there is no difference in incidence of viral respiratory transmission among health care workers wearing the two types of protection," said Dr. Trish Perl, Chief of UT Southwestern's Division of Infectious Diseases and Geographic Medicine and the report's senior author.

Medical personnel—in particular nurses, doctors, and others with direct patient contact—are at risk when treating patients with contagious diseases such as influenza (flu). A large study conducted in a New York hospital system after the 2009 outbreak of H1N1, or swine flu, found almost 30 percent of health care workers in emergency departments contracted the disease themselves, Dr. Perl said.

>snip<

"The takeaway is that this study shows one type of protective equipment is not superior to the other," she said. "Facilities have several options to provide protection to their staff—which include surgical masks—and can feel that staff are protected from seasonal influenza. Our study supports that in the outpatient setting there was no difference between the tested protections."
........................................ end of excerpt……………………...

The surgical masks are inexpensive and should be in everyone's backup plans, especially if you cannot get or afford a sizable quantity of the N95s or better grade.

The published study did not specify which kind of surgical mask was used in the study, only that the tighter fitting n95 performed no better than the looser fitting surgical mask. There are several styles of surgical masks, all of which fit looser than an n95.

I am assuming they may have been speaking of the overwhelming majority of the kind I found when I plugged in the term "surgical mask" in both Google Images and Amazon.com (the article didn't say):

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...hUKEwjO45WL-JjnAhVKQq0KHZquAcYQ4dUDCAY&uact=5

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=surgical+mask&tag=survivalistboardscon-20&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

As you can see, not all surgical masks are the same. As you view the chart below, keep in mind that the best surgical mask will never be as good as a P100 or even an N95 mask.

https://www.crosstex.com/sites/defa...0face20mask20selection20and20use20-202017.pdf

Speaking for myself, if I was completely out of a better alternative, I would want to modify the surgical mask (if necessary) to close any gaps that are open to the outside air. For example, the kind I ordered (for backup purposes only in case I run out of my supply of better alternatives), is similar in appearance to the majority of the surgical masks pictured in the links (above). I will probably attach an alligator clip to either end of a length of elastic and will use this to attach to the sides of the mask: one clip on the left side and one clip on the right side. This elastic will be passed over my head and will rest high on my neck near the base of my skull. This should help close any potential gap at the sides. The elastic is covered with a kind of fabric which will keep it from snagging on skin or hair and is long enough to fit loose enough so that I don't create puckers in the mask which would create new gaps.

Hopefully I will not have to use these surgical masks at all, but if a pandemic stretches our supplies so thin that we are out of best options, I will be happy to have this in stock.

(For those who are not familiar with the N95 masks, it looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=n95+mask&ref=nb_sb_noss_1)

Regardless of which type you use, make sure it fits well and adjust it so that it does not allow for free flow of air around the edges.

EDITED TO ADD: A recent PDF document by the World Health Organization may shed some light on the best definition of "surgical masks" as it applies to the 2019-nCoV (Wuhan virus): https://www.who.int/publications-detail/disease-commodity-package---novel-coronavirus-(ncov)

Mask, surgical
Medical/surgical mask, high fluid resistance, good breathability, internal and external faces should
be clearly identified, structured design that does not collapse against the mouth (e.g. duckbill, cupshaped)

EN 14683 Type IIR performance
ASTM F2100 level 2 or level 3
or equivalent;

• Fluid resistance at minimum 120 mmHg pressure based on
ASTM F1862-07, ISO 22609, or equivalent
• Breathability: MIL–M-36945C, EN 14683 annex C, or
equivalent
• Filtration efficiency: ASTM F2101, EN14683 annex B, or
equivalent

CAUTIONS WHEN ORDERING MASKS

If you order your masks online, be sure to check out the supplier's reputation. There appears to be a number of new vendors jumping on the bandwagon, and I noticed that some have become Amazon sellers only in the past few days.

Notice that the distributor/manufacturer (listed directly beneath the product name) is often different than the vendor who actually sells and ships the product. Check out both of them! I am usually wary if the distributor of a medical item also sells mostly other unrelated imported items such as clothing, tools, or gadgets alongside medical items.

To be on the safe side, folks might want to consider buying only from a long-standing vendor with an established good reputation or else buy masks that are sold and fulfilled by Amazon. Otherwise, you may have to waste valuable time and going through a rigamarole to get your money back if the vendor or product is less than desirable.

Amazon is the pits when it comes to vetting their vendors. Even well-known brands such as Life-Straw (water filters) are being counterfeited and sold through Amazon.

Also, when I looked at some of the reviews of some of the mask vendors, I saw glaring red flags like these.

...paper thin...when you cough you can feel the cough through the mask Will not purchase again

...funky odor...make ears itch

...don't stay in place
So, friends, please don’t be too much of a hurry when ordering and do your homework!

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
3,627 Posts
I had most every thing put up in tubs and put in the shed after the ebola scare lightened up. I took it out the other day and inventoried, and brought some items inside.

I picked up some more ducK tape, and plastic, and well as some more PPEs.
I picked up 20ish more Gossner milk, topped off with some more beans, rice and pasta made sure the pantry was fat with other shelf stable items.

Picked up several OTC pharmacy items, lots of water (yes I have filters boilers and tabs etc and a creek in my backyard, just some convenience pours and for extra containers)

Boosted my onhand cash, put hands on my precious metals.

Have been reminding family of potential exposure, ways to avoid, and what to do. Wash wash wash, and personal sanitisers on hand at all times.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts