Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal has been to prep as if we need to bug in for a year. In specific areas, I have that and more. I have less than a year of certain medications, some of which are controlled medications, but I'm currently doing what I know to remedy that problem.

Earlier I did what seems counterproductive, attempting to imagine everything that could go wrong, even problems I haven't dealt with since I was a child or have ever faced, and get OTC medication for that.

The situations I faced have taught me that there is a new or different way to deal with an old problem. Nevertheless, there are issues I need to address:
  1. As I said, I don't have a year's worth of every medication I currently take though I am working on that.
  2. Historically speaking, my medication needs have changed.
  3. Sometimes I run into medical situations I'm ill-equipped or don't know how to handle and therefore need more advanced medical assistance. I will be in a world of hurt if run-away inflation causes the dollar to be worth zero, or I'm one of the survivors of a nuclear attack.

Jeanette Isabelle

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,209 Posts
You can grow Valerian. I've never used it but it's what they make valium from. Little bit of calming tea, there long-term for you.
Valerian and hops both work well. Even better when taken together. Neither are terribly expensive to stock, and both can be grown in many areas.

The one prep I always stress the most, is the one people tend to overlook the most. Water. I just saw a post the other day from someone who had a month of food but only a week or two of water. If anything it should be the other way around. You can live a month or more without food, but only a few days without water. It can also be one of the harder preps to figure out.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Valerian and hops both work well. Even better when taken together. Neither are terribly expensive to stock, and both can be grown in many areas.

The one prep I always stress the most, is the one people tend to overlook the most. Water. I just saw a post the other day from someone who had a month of food but only a week or two of water. If anything it should be the other way around. You can live a month or more without food, but only a few days without water. It can also be one of the harder preps to figure out.
This is a very important point for the OP to look into.

As for myself, this place may be semi-cursed when it comes to growing things but at least there's water everywhere.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
If you have a well and a way to power your well pump water isn’t a problem for the short term. Water storage may be a concern for the medium term. If all hell breaks loose the last couple gallons of gas I have will be limited to powering the generator to make the well pump work.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Anxiety SUCKS. I battled panic attacks for years. Started off in my mid 20's with wellbutren(sp)
Stopped all meds 6 years. Last med was seriquell(sp).

Through my family doctor and an old school nut cracker , We found a definite chemical imbalance. I was overweight, my testosterone had dropped below 300. Because of the fat tissue around my mid section,my body was producing or mimicking estrogen.

The panic attacks were caused when I was stressed or to wound up. I would get acid reflux that caused a bit of chest pain,which would increase the anxiety. It only happened when I was in a sitting or laying position. The fatness of my mid section would restrict the movement of my diaphragm. I would start to hyperventilate,oxygen levels would go down causing more pain in the left neck area and dizziness. Boom,panic attack.

The cure for me was weight loss (90lbs) no indigestion causing foods, lots of exercise and weight lifting. Took testosterone shots for the first few months, anxiety played hell on the Mighty Oak too, It fell for awhile, but has recovered.

My statement is not intended to diagnose or cure any medical problems you my be having. This was my diagnosis from several doctors over many years suffering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bug-In Prepper
1,385 Posts
Experimenting with herbal solutions might pay off, or might not. Different people have different sensitivities and reactions, and it would be worth exploring how they react with your particular body chemistry.

Research the hell out of them before you try, though, because some of them also interact poorly with prescription medications (for example, valerian root can interact badly with benzos or alcohol).

My wife suffers from anxiety issues, and she's tried melatonin, ashwagandha, valerian root and caffeine (which is a stimulant, but some people with anxiety disorders experience a calming effect from stimulants).

The only one that worked at all for her was melatonin, and that in larger doses than she is willing to swallow -- literally, half of her throat is paralyzed, which makes swallowing things difficult and unpleasant, and she just couldn't bring herself to keep swallowing horse-choker-sized melatonin capsules.

Her eventual solution was to keep a small stash of clonazepam (for which she had a prescription), but certainly much less than a year worth. Trying to amass a year worth would risk legal complications, if found out, and this forum has policies in place prohibiting us from advocating illegal things.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let me pose the following question. Theoretically, is it possible to get prescription medications even when we can't get other necessities such as food?

Jeanette Isabelle

·
68,209 Posts
Experimenting with herbal solutions might pay off, or might not. Different people have different sensitivities and reactions, and it would be worth exploring how they react with your particular body chemistry.

Research the hell out of them before you try, though, because some of them also interact poorly with prescription medications (for example, valerian root can interact badly with benzos or alcohol).

My wife suffers from anxiety issues, and she's tried melatonin, ashwagandha, valerian root and caffeine (which is a stimulant, but some people with anxiety disorders experience a calming effect from stimulants).

The only one that worked at all for her was melatonin, and that in larger doses than she is willing to swallow -- literally, half of her throat is paralyzed, which makes swallowing things difficult and unpleasant, and she just couldn't bring herself to keep swallowing horse-choker-sized melatonin capsules.

Her eventual solution was to keep a small stash of clonazepam (for which she had a prescription), but certainly much less than a year worth. Trying to amass a year worth would risk legal complications, if found out, and this forum has policies in place prohibiting us from advocating illegal things.
You can get 10mg melatonin which is the strongest I've found, in tiny tablets. I know, I take them myself. They can easily be ground into a powder for mixing in liquid.

·
68,209 Posts
Let me pose the following question. Theoretically, is it possible to get prescription medications even when we can't get other necessities such as food?

Jeanette Isabelle
You can order them offshore for far less than you'd pay at a US pharmacy.

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
8,347 Posts
I hope you mean I can get them offshore when we can't get other necessities such as food.

Would delivery still be available?

Jeanette Isabelle
That would be the $50M dollar question. There is no way to answer that unequivocally with a "yes" or a "no". WAY too many variables to contend with.

·
Bug-In Prepper
1,385 Posts
You can get 10mg melatonin which is the strongest I've found, in tiny tablets. I know, I take them myself. They can easily be ground into a powder for mixing in liquid.
Thanks for this pointer. Our grocery store only carries the horse-chokers. Do you have any tips for finding what you take? Like a brand name or something? Maybe I could find it on Amazon.

·
68,209 Posts
Thanks for this pointer. Our grocery store only carries the horse-chokers. Do you have any tips for finding what you take? Like a brand name or something? Maybe I could find it on Amazon.
Here's what I ordered last time. The price has gone up a buck, but it's still the best deal I've found.
Walmart also has sublingual melatonin which have a bit of a cherry taste. They can dissolve in the mouth.

·
My BOV is gluten-free...
925 Posts
there are also melatonin gummies which can be both delicious and easy to chew! My house, we fight over the gummies. Many good brands on Amazon, even at higher milligrams.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I hope you mean I can get them offshore when we can't get other necessities such as food.

Would delivery still be available?

Jeanette Isabelle
To be honest with you, and not trying to be a jerk, but if all hell breaks loose bad enough to where you can't get food there's a high likelihood you WON'T be able to get prescription meds. I mean, who's gonna make them? And if there's no food to be had it's unlikely the neighborhood drug store is going to be open anyway.

If you truly can not function without them your best and probably only bet is to stock up now before things go completely snafu.

If it's a long term thing, I don't know what to tell you except you'll likely have to make do with herbal treatments.

When it comes to things like anxiety I'd seriously consider marijuana. That you can most certainly grow yourself and like it or agree with it or not it does have medicinal uses.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts