Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently found out that I'm going to be a father again. Any ideas on what are some good BOB add ons for a new baby?

Curious how other parents have prepped for new arrivals coming during our troubled times.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I normally don't use cloth diapers, but I do have some in my INCH bag if it gets that bad. Also as girly as it sounds I really like the Mobi wrap, makes it eaier to move and carry your baby. If stuff falls apart before she has the baby, store some pre natal vitamins.

·
The Celtic Prepper
926 Posts
I started a thread about this recently and there were a lot of great replies. Unfortunately, my wife miscarried after ten weeks. Maybe you can search for the thread. Lots of good info in it.

·
Knowledge is Power
4,557 Posts
LOL you will have a hard time stocking the correct food because their food urges change ever 10 min or so it seems.. You can't have enough Chocolate Icecream, pickles and mustard on hand though.. Those seem to be the staples..

·
the "d" from ban[d]
15,338 Posts
I normally don't use cloth diapers, but I do have some in my INCH bag if it gets that bad. Also as girly as it sounds I really like the Mobi wrap, makes it eaier to move and carry your baby. If stuff falls apart before she has the baby, store some pre natal vitamins.
We purchased cloth diapers for our first child. And used them almost exclusively except on trips. They lasted through two children. By my calculations the savings paid for a washer and dryer.

However my wife did not work outside the home at all during that period. She only worked part time once the second one started Montessori.

·
Always Loaded
2,352 Posts
Congratulations! Exciting news. I would start with basic baby supplies like powders, creams, and baby wipes. These things can be very useful even without a baby, especially the wipes.

My wife and I have spoken of having a 3rd child, and this subject has crossed my mind as well. Even if we decide not to, the last 2 weren't planned. One big blessing is that one of my sisters is a certified midwife and has a lot of birthing goodies, including a oxygen tank setup.

·
Getting There
170 Posts
First of all congrats on your new addition. I am currently 7 1/2 months pregnant right now and I will tell you what my hubby and I are doing to prepare for birth.

First, we have clothing for me that will fit both now and after birth in the bug out bag. Example, an oversized t-shirt, a pair of yoga pants and a pair of jeans that will fit with a belly band now and should fit after birth. I also keep a sewing kit available so if I need to alter my clothing slightly I can. In addition we have some basic baby clothes in the bug out bag as well as a warm blanket. Other stuff as well but I can't remember it all without looking.

We are stocking up on disposable diapers and wipes as they will be useful no matter what happens. However, I keep old clothes and rags around in bags that can be used to make cloth diapers and wipes when we run out.

We have both a manual breast pump as well as a double electric breast pump, in addition to bottles to feed with. Reason being, if my daughter is unable to latch correctly the way my first did, I can still provide breast milk to my child without issue. This is especially important if formula is unavailable, unsafe or clean drinking water is low to make the formula. Having a good manual breast pump with extra accessories is especially important if the power goes out or you are bugging out. Still deciding if we are going to get formula before birth because my first had an allergic reaction to all but one brand and had we stocked up it would have been virtually useless. Just a thought.

We are also trying to learn whatever possible about giving birth without a hospital. If everything is great I will obviously be giving birth at the hospital but if something were to happen (massive power outage, disease outbreak, etc.) having some working knowledge of birth will be essential. We printed off a couple of copies of how to deliver a child with a normal birth and keep them at home, in the bug out bag and in both vehicles.

We also have a birth kit that my firefighter brother-in-law got for us when it "expired" and they were about to throw it away. It has some basic supplies in it and I am very happy to have it. Lastly, we are getting a good midwife book that goes over complications during pregnancy, during labor and after birth and gives you and idea of how to help deal with it. It won't be perfect if something were to happen but it gives us a better chance.

If you aren't stocked up on oversized pads for her yet, I would suggest you do that as well. She will use them no matter what, but if something happens you want a clean way to deal with the blood after birth. (sorry for the visual guys)

I would also suggest extra hand sanitizer, even more than what you might have already put away for normal SHTF. Keeping clean when dealing with baby and mother is imperative during those first weeks when mom is healing and baby's immune system is still weak.

I know there is more, but for now that is what comes to the front of my mind. Good luck!

·
Gypsy in the Midwest
1,156 Posts
Watch "The Birth Story with Ina May ". You can watch it on youtube. It's about an hour and 1/2 and very hippy. However it shows an actual breach vaginal birth.

Get an book on emergency delivery (or a midwife book).

If you can't watch some other woman go through it... then you can't expect to be helpful when your wife gives birth.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Congrats. We recently had our 2nd, 3 weeks ago. I defiantly recommend the cloth diapers. Doctors say you have to wait until the imbillical cord falls off before you can use them for some reason, which is about 2/3 weeks old. They are also not that expensive either if you think about it. My wife has purchase several from co-ops on facebook. If you think you might be interested send me message and I'll get the name of the co-ops for you.

Formula would be another good thing, weather your wife plans on breast feeding or not. My wife tried like hell to breast feed but it just didn't work. I would mostly save some cash for the formula and when the baby gets here if you end up using it, find one that works and stock up on that. Doctor told us to find one and stick with it, that it's not good to be going from one to another. We use the Target brand(also used it with my first) and it works great. I'd also recommend a way to heat the bottle if there is no electric to heat it, maybe a small camp stove like a pocket rocket with some water and the bottle inside.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know, again congratulations

·
Getting There
170 Posts
Oh, in case you are interested, this is the book we decided to purchase.
Heart and Hands: A Midwifes Guide to Pregnancy and Birth
It isn't too expensive compared to other textbook type books, yet contains a great deal of useful info for common problems during pregnancy and birth. It won't prepare you for everything, but unless you plan on learning how to do a C-section, no book will.

Oh, and I second the Ina May video. She is an amazing midwife who has an amazing track record. I believe the C-section rate in her practice is something like 2%, compared with the national rate of over 25%. If I lived near TN, she would be my choice of caregiver.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all for the congrats and info. Keep em coming. We are def going to do the cloth diaper thing. We seem to be on the same page with that.

·
Gypsy in the Midwest
1,156 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts