Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One chapter closes and a new one has started.....

I've been planning for this event since January, when I woke up at 02:00 for the usual widdle -waddle and realised that, having my Landrover as a mobile BOL, paying for a fixed BOL is actually a waste of money every month for the levy / electricity / groceries and on and on and on

So that was me this weekend.... packing up all the stuff at my BOL / weekend get-away cottage

Got about 80 % of the stuff loaded into a high top Peugeot Transporter - I gauge only one more trip left

Then I took it off to an auction and sold it - pretty much everything... So now I'm beyond the point of no return, and next weekend I'm off to collect the balance & get it to the Sunday auction & sell it off as well.

I made a tidy sum on the sale & there is more to come, but the real saving's going to be the monthly levy <and you multiply that by 12..... comes to a fair whach each year>

My only regret ----- call it school fees ----is that I didn't wake up two years ago when I took the Landy into the mountains for trials...

But anyhow, I can re- direct some of the savings <and proceeds from the sale of the stuff> into improving my mobile BOV....

MY OLD FIXED LOCATION BOL

MY NEW MOBILE BOV - NOMAD'S HOME....

·
Semper Fi
9,927 Posts
Living in your car is NOT a long term solution. There is also no way to store an appreciable amount of supplies/equipment in it either.

In my opinion, you saved yourself some money but made your bug out situation exponentially worse.

The saying, "penny wise and pound foolish" comes to mind.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@Hick Industries
Its not that I'm unhappy, It's that my long term objective is to become nomadic I'm still going to keep my sticks & bricks, That is my redundancy, if, for EG I write my car off.... I'm NOT prepping for the end cenarioç İəm too old to be bothered about that

If it's about living in SA, I don't have choice, I'm not leaving family... anyhow, although SA is collapsing <and fast----- 175 billion stolen from only one project Koselie power station> at 65 I don't care the final collaps will be post me....

@Steve_In_29
bear in mind, I'm doing this so that I can become Nomadic... NOT prepping for end of world / society / ETC <see above>

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Actually, your reasoning is familiar to me. My gut feel has always been that I personally would not survive a collapse. Even much younger, it had all the finality of a memory.

I built layers of redundancies...bucket caches, store n lock caches in thr stor n locks of family members, survival pantries in my kids houses for my "overflow", which is quite modular to keeping them feed in a prolonged bug in, with foods I noticed that they buy for themselves but they wont know that until they open it up. I sold them on being somewhat of a hoarder as a cover. 2/3 of my hoarded preps are stashed with immediate family, for thier families. I'm old, my wife is getting old, its about them now, our living legacy, if any survive.

So, SA dude, I do have a question specific to your current life, if you have a sec to consider it?

As someone 5 years further down the rosd agewise and experience wise from me. Besides going light, gearwise, was your decision informed by your age? A deeper realization of thr health declines ahead as we age? Or was it simpler, a desire to cut the binds sapping cash and attention???

Thanks. I explained my plans as an illustration of how I am gifting my family this strange insurance policy. I have a sealed letter in each container inviting them to freely use the contents for emergencies, in case I am gone already.

I wouldnt mind going light again, nomading it 6 months as year, loading up on meds at Quartzite once a year at the pharmaceas in Mexico like my folks did yearly. Fast and light, freeze at night.

....but I'm still 22 at heart (snarf)...thanks again. Stay safein your travels, brother.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Rural Buckeye Guy
Morning to you, and I hope a good one it be.

To answer your question, I've always had "wonderlust" - Since my 20's. From there, it was a natural progression to becoming nomadic.

Along the way, and in my quest to "get-it-right" I learnt of many things,including the concepts of "disaster prepping" & True "nomadic / digital nomadic" lifestyle's AKA cheapRVliving / off grid backcountry living / Element van life & the likes thereof.

Concept of prepping: -
For me there is a strong synergy between "disaster prepping principals" and what I am about, IE "prepping to become a nomad" but it was not a case of "prepping for disaster" then finding that the financial and other commitments where burdensome, It's a case of applying a lot of the fundamental's of disaste prepping to my <almost life-long goal>.

I have gleened much in the way of invaluable information & knowledge from "preppers" and other related topics, that I found, only because of "prepping" - One thing leads to another, as it were.

Prepping for disaster has never actually been on my radar, until reciently. By which time I realised, I'm too old to be bothered about it. I've already been & done for my family, including a discussion about taking care of disaster, from thereon, the choice is theirs.

Concept of nomad's / digital nomad's ETC
Well, what can I say..... I've avoided many mistakes through the study I've made following people who have full-time adopted this kind of life, and without the knowledge I've gained from them, I would probibly still be only 2/3 rds down the right path to being successful.... I got there, a hell of a lot quicker than I otherwise would have.

Current phase: -
Having got to were I am, I am consoldating: - Just a couple of months ago I "connected the dots" and came to the realisation that I don't need a fixed BOL <and the associated costs> to periodically get away from society & re-connect with myself, my BOV is my BOL, it's just a mobile BOL.

Once these dot's were connected, I'm shedding the responsibility < and associated costs> of my fixed BOL, and re-directing some of the savings into my BOV - BOL

Getting away from society is something that is a consequence of my chilhood, I alluded to that on sombody's post, "don't mess with my daughter" - I have no problem discussing it, just that it would sidetrack our discussion...... Sufficient to say, It was a very unplesant period in my life - you can find the gist of it there, or if you ask I'll go into it.

So, about 14 years ago <before I was aware of "prepping - disaster prepping"> I established a retreat at a guest farm in the bushveldt, where I used to go to to disconnect, and it became my BOL....

So last weekend I went over the "tipping point".... I loaded 80 % of my stuff that was there & sold it on auction fridge / microwave / stove-oven / crockery / Oh... lots and lots of stuff... Now that it's gone, there be no going back... I'm committed & this upcomming weekend the plan is to remove the balance of the stuff & take it from there....

Next phase: -
Fine tune and practice at being nomadic. When I feel the need to "disconnect"................... I'm going wonderlusting.............. 😁

And yes.... I'm more like 18 at heart ! .... 😄

Unfortunately the framework is long beyond that, but still in good shape, I've never, ever consumed booze / beer ETC of any type, never smoked anything or taken anything other than prescribed or OTC medication......6'2" - 90Kg wear 2 * reading glasses, full head of hair & bloody ugly.....

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Most preppers think of homestead when it comes to survival, and for good reasons. That said, many have short-to-mid-term needs of a mobile survival option, so your lessons learned are valuable. Even to those that completely disagree with you, I contend, some have or do traveled a long distance from their home and getting home could easily turn into a "nomadic" journey. Your decision isn't mine, but I value your perspective and lessons on how you're handling your situation...

ROCK6

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I can relate. My late parents had a very strong case of wanderlust and one of my sibs does as well, very similar in type. Myself and the other sibs settled on very unconventional with a cover of boring and gorgettable....or maybe just boring and delusional with a healthy dose of fragile male ego? Thank you.

My version of wanderlust is a bit twisted. I periodically drive for a few days, zero planning or destination. Other times I roadtrip and visit friends 1k away. Just because. I also do dog rescue transport. Thats usually 40-60 km but sometimes hundreds of km. I once did a 4 day up into new england picking up and dropping off 11 dogs along the way, not including the (9) chihuahuas in three carry crates. Nightmare of noise.

I have been considering building a lieghtweight teardrop trailer as I too am edging up on retirement. We have a 11m RV at my in-laws farm and if I were ever widowed, it would make a great 6 month home, but Ohio winters I would gladly avoid.

I think that you made the correct decision. I feel the ssme way about my grown kids, they got the adulting training we never did. They got a survival insurance policy. I'll be at Quartzite, talking to Bob Wier....

·
Semper Fi
9,927 Posts
I satisfied my wanderlust by spending 17 years in the Marines and traveling all over the globe on Uncle Sam's dime during that time. Been above the Arctic Circle to almost the Antarctic and damn near around the world. Iirc I have been in something like 17 different countries. In the US I have been from east to west coasts and from Key West, FL to Adak, AK.

I prefer a nice place of my own now.

Reactions: Land rover

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Sorry, but in my mind prepping to be a nomad equates to prepping to be a refugee.

You will not be able to stock enough (both in quantity and diversity) supplies to properly prep for the maximum eventualities you otherwise could.

You will have only the option, for the most part, with other nomads. This will limit MAG options and with it the diversity of capabilities within the group.

You will, for the most part, have an unreliable long term food and water plan.

You will, when bugged out, be in a long term condition of possessing one consistent layer of defence; maybe some times you will find a secure structure to park in giving you a second one, but most times it will be the walls of the vehicle.

When you have a living site and a BOL, you have a more all encompassing foundation of supplies, shelter, preparations, and considerations. If something compromises your living site, you hop in the BOV with the resources of it and the living site, and bug out to the BOL. If something compromised the BOV during the journey, you still maintain the resources of the BOL even if you lost everything but your life.
Even If something then compromised your BOL, you have the resources of the BOL to bug out to another location (say the woods, or to a pre-planned fall back site potentially with cached supplies or whatever).

In your case, your BOV is going to be your full and complete bug out resource. If something compromised it, you are on foot with only what you carry on you to rely on. Even with an extensive and well stocked network of caches, fuel, spare parts, and the like you are, in effect, choosing to cross the ocean in a lifeboat rather than an ocean liner.

In my mind, any benefit derived from this method is countered by a series of deficits.

I only feel this way because, decades ago, it was my plan as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts