Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
@ Drobs....

A couple of reasons: -

Now I’m not saying a winch is useless, it does have its place and can be of great assistance, If you need one get one.

But just to have for “in-case”? That’s where I have a difference of opinion

1) Weight – which, admittedly could be mitigated with a plasma rope.... But, when you add in the winch compatable bumper, the winch & a second 110A deep cycle battery, the weight goes up quickly

2) Actual need – In all the years I had a winch <8000Lb Warn> on my 90 Defender, the only time it was used was to recover some other sod. Now, in principal, I have no problem with the deed recovering somebody else, it’s in the execution.... I know how my vehicle is “rigged” from the mounting bolts through the attachment brackets via the winch compatible bumper everything... Every last bolt & nut is correct to deal with the forces......... What I don’t know is the other vehicle... when his stuffing bumper comes off because it’s only bolted with threaded rod, then I get sued by his insurance!!!

3) A winch, without an anchor point, is much like having shoes with no feet.... For all intense and purposes I travel solo, not in a “caravan / convoy”, so invariably, there is nothing to anchor to... I’ve trailed sand anchors with not much success, <Think a pull-pal may do the job though>

Nowadays, I let the yuppie’s and look-gooder’s carry a winch, I listen to my fear-factor to keep me out of a lot of hard and dangerous graft...

WINCH ON MY PREVIOUS LANDY

ATTACHMENT POINTS

WINCH COMPATABLE BULL BAR WITH MY OWN ADAPTATION, A VICE

VICE - Now THIS was really useful.... If you can't hold it, you cant fix it...

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
@ Drobs....

A couple of reasons: -

Now I’m not saying a winch is useless, it does have its place and can be of great assistance, If you need one get one.

But just to have for “in-case”? That’s where I have a difference of opinion

1) Weight – which, admittedly could be mitigated with a plasma rope.... But, when you add in the winch compatable bumper, the winch & a second 110A deep cycle battery, the weight goes up quickly

2) Actual need – In all the years I had a winch <8000Lb Warn> on my 90 Defender, the only time it was used was to recover some other sod. Now, in principal, I have no problem with the deed recovering somebody else, it’s in the execution.... I know how my vehicle is “rigged” from the mounting bolts through the attachment brackets via the winch compatible bumper everything... Every last bolt & nut is correct to deal with the forces......... What I don’t know is the other vehicle... when his stuffing bumper comes off because it’s only bolted with threaded rod, then I get sued by his insurance!!!

3) A winch, without an anchor point, is much like having shoes with no feet.... For all intense and purposes I travel solo, not in a “caravan / convoy”, so invariably, there is nothing to anchor to... I’ve trailed sand anchors with not much success, <Think a pull-pal may do the job though>

Nowadays, I let the yuppie’s and look-gooder’s carry a winch, I listen to my fear-factor to keep me out of a lot of hard and dangerous graft...

WINCH ON MY PREVIOUS LANDY
View attachment 358946

ATTACHMENT POINTS
View attachment 358947

WINCH COMPATABLE BULL BAR WITH MY OWN ADAPTATION, A VICE
View attachment 358949

View attachment 358952
It's funny, I finding much of that to be the same. I put a winch on my Toyota 4Runner back in 2019. I've used it once to do a short little recovery of another vehicle. I like having it though, as a "better to have and not need, than need and not have" piece of gear.

An old timer friend of mine, likes to call me with requests to use my winch for. Most of the time, I just use a recovery strap to help him out.

I like your Land Rovers. I followed one last month on trail I posted about in my other thread.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Somehow I got a feeling that vice would not pass inspection here regarding pedestrian safety... :D

I wish we had similar possibilities up here. Nearest actual mountains are in Norway/Sweden border, all we have are just a few bumps on the ground. Also offroading with motorized vehicles is technically illegal, unless you own the land or have landowners permission.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi KLF
Ok so we have shut work for the easter break, so I'll get back here on Tuesday.... Show you my Vice set up for hitch reciever
RDDS

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I've always found a vice to be exceptionally handy: -

My defender had one on the bull-bar, But With the the Discovery I declined to spend the 20 000.00 ZAR + 10 000 fitting <about 2000 USD> for a winch compatable bull bar, then to complete the excersise, another 35 000 ZAR for an 8000Lb Warn winch.... So no bull-bar ---

But I still wanted a vice so I got around it this way.....

VICE POST INTO THE RECIEVER

THE WHOLE VICEPOST : - lives on my roofrack....

HOW i STABILISE IT: - I jack it up at the bottom, just enough that the body lifts on the springs - --- not that the wheels lift -----the weight of the Landy holds everything firm

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ingenious vise set up! Believe I’m going to steal that idea. Nice build, looks like you’ve put it to some great use.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Morning manny

You're most welcome, thank you !

Here is where it sleeps - not as readily accessable as it was on my Defender, but non the less It's there when I need it.

That thing has fixed anything and everything - - From boat motors - to making some fishing rod stands to fixing frying pan handles......

Using a hacksaw to make fishing rod stands outta camera tripod stands.... This was the first re-configuration evolution in the back of my Discovery... This became what I got now.----- It's been a long prepping journey, but I do think I've finally got there....

·
Registered
354 Posts
I get what you are saying about the winch, I have only used mine to help others when it comes to unsticking a vehicle. That said, it is a tool I prefer to have. I have used it in non conventional ways more than its intended use. Very useful when cutting firewood.

Have you scaled the Rover? I'd be curious what it weighs.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I get what you are saying about the winch, I have only used mine to help others when it comes to unsticking a vehicle. That said, it is a tool I prefer to have.
I can say the same thing about those traction mats I have carried in my cars. I have never needed them myself but I have helped several others to get out of bad places during winter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
@81eagle
Nope ----- Not had it weighed... but by my rheumy right eye, having chucked out all the seats at the back, with pretty much counters the 65L roof-top water tank, I doubt that I have more extra weight than 2 adult passangers... (100 Kg recovery gear / deep cycle / ETC and 100Kg for all the rest)... Its more bulky stuff than weighty stuff.

@KLF
I've deployed my mats for my self on more that one occasion, so for me I be happy to have them <I posted some pics on another discussion>, goes to the fact that each of us does things to their experience & outlook.

@drobs.
It's a 2002 Discovery, HSE TD5 <Diesiel> Auto .The HSE is post facelift & has some extra dodat's which I'm not sure what they are, It's a 5 Cylinder Engine revision P15 <which by that time was the BMW variant - Its the P10 that you DON'T want ---

Mods: - < Apart from the re-configuration & gear stowage ETC>

Chucked the airbags - put in "terra-firma" coil springs & shocks - them airbags are rubbish.... Don't care about a "soft ride" It's got real nice leather seats.....

Removed the centre exhaust baffle and replaced it with a "cherry - bomb" - esentially a cherry bomb allos the exhaust gas to flow straight through, but has a "muffler"around the through pipe, - This is neccessary because over long distances, the centre baffle creates heat build up with back-flushes up the exhaust & warps the exhaust manifold.... Added bonus is a nice mellow rumbly exhaust note..

Added a second intercooler to keep the box oil cool - it has no dip-stick into the tranny, so to chec the fluid is up on the ramp, loosten the filler plug, drop some lube in and see what comes out.... PAINFULL !

OH! Most important! A frying pan in the engine - ontop of the turbo.... Yummmmm 😁

Thanks fellas for the post-in's
RGDS

21 - 31 of 31 Posts